EVO 2008: Results!

Started by Barnes, February 27, 2008, 05:43:23 PM

Mizuki

Last time I heard of a Korean at Evo was 2k5 iirc. He played T5 and got owned by mandatory army service.

JTchinoy

Quote from: Mizuki on March 23, 2008, 12:09:14 AM
Last time I heard of a Korean at Evo was 2k5 iirc. He played T5 and got owned by mandatory army service.

I believe you're referring to MadDogJin?  He did his 2 years and should be out by now.  Sadly they took Qudans away from us shortly after SBO 2007.  See you in 2 years Qudans. :( Team Fuck Bitches FTW.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

norcalduy

im going to win evo.

bronson.

Ceirnian

Quote from: PyronIkari on March 19, 2008, 07:50:42 PM
Quote from: Ceirnian on March 19, 2008, 01:40:51 PM
Had lots of complications? Get the hell out of here with that, the 'complications' were pretty simple. During finals a few players showed up late (Marn barely showing up in time for his match) and there weren't many spectators. For whatever reason most of the GG community didn't get up and go watch Flash and his team get so close to the top. Before you ask, yes I was there and yes I competed. Going again this year, but for SFHD / Brawl.

As for Chloe, yes she does go to Evo and other tournaments. What does her competing have to do with her giving an opinion about the lineup / location? She's right about VF5 having a bigger scene now too, and I would have loved to see it there instead of 3s (garbage game to me).

SIGH...

I'm glad you think just because you go means you know anything. There were LOTS of complications, not just Marn being late. I'm friends with Marneto, I know more about that, what caused it, and the aftermath better than quite a bit of people. I also know much of what else happened as I've known Wizard for about 10 years and we talked about it. SRK threads show some of what happened, but not all of it. As I said... there were lots of complications.

You think 3S is a crap game, the majority of the country disagrees with you. I've missed on Evo since B5 and that was due to personal reasons, I've helped at every Evo, running brackets, errands, or other crap for staff. Miu and I hung out for an entire night with Sirlin. I lived about 10 minutes from Valle, and went to his house all the time for casuals 3S and MvC1. I beat Jason Nelson in A3 tourney, with V-Mika. I've embarassed Viscant in person, and on video more than virtually anyone in the world.

Are we done comparing E-cocks?

As for Chloe. It means quite a lot. As an observer, she doesn't contribute, nor is she an example/representitive of what Evo is for. Her opinion on the lineup is crap to be honest, and she talks A LOT of shit in other places when she's a no one that "plays" the game, isn't a "player" of the game. VF IS getting more reputation, does that mean it's worth having a tournament for? Frankly, there's a bigger fanbase for Melty Blood in the US, that doesn't mean it will have a tournament(for a whole crapload of reasons).

My comment was more on the fact that, she isn't a tournament player, why is she complaining about how the largest US tournament runs itself and the politics behind it when she ISN'T A TOURNEY PLAYER.

SIGH...

Do you really want to compare epeens? I don't get why you think the information you gave means anthing, but I'll give a short rebuttal.

I go to Sirlins house to play against him quite often in Guilty Gear, and other games as well. In fact, he was my team mate last year at Evo. I know and have met most of the Evo staff, but outside of playing Wizard and the Cannons a few times I won't make some grandiose boast of talking to them regularly. Oh by the way, being friends with Marn doesn't actually make you a cool person in case you didn't know.

I along with a few of the Evo staff really dislike 3S, or did you not know that? Just because some people really like something doesn't mean it's actually good (Like a lot of self proclaimed annoying Otaku. The type of guys who dress up like girls, or the people in general who spout out japanese phrases just because they  saw it in an anime. This is a different can of worms though). I've played Choi in ST etc etc I'm not even going to go on since I think you get the point.

Now does my opinion magically matter more?

As for Chloe, her opinion of the line up is as valid as anyone elses. Afterall it's her opinion based on what games she as a person likes to both play and watch. So why can't you just accept that instead of trying to wave your ego around like it actually matters? Oh noes you've spent the night playing with Sirlin and Miu! (oh I was able to beat Miu in AC. Uh oh better watch out now!)

Here's a summary for you in case you need one.

GTFO

Also known as 'Ced'

The way it is

PyronIkari

Quote from: Ceirnian on March 27, 2008, 09:15:48 AM
Stuff here.

THe difference is... WE are players, and we compete, and we actually give a damn about the status of the tournament, because we are PART OF THE TOURNAMENT. Yes, most of the staff dislikes 3S, you act as if that's news to me. But they know better than to remove it seeing that it is currently the most popular game. There's a difference between "dislike" and "bad" as well as "like" and "good". And even though most of EVO staff dislikes 3S, they don't deny that it is a good game. And most of EVO staff will agree that VF is a great game, but most of them don't really like it either.

So... what is your point?

You seemed to complete miss the point as to why I said everything in my posts as *I* was the one that was challenged, and I was merely replying.

Chloe's comments are fine, but they don't mean shit. Just as it doesn't mean shit when some kid that only watches cartoon network claims that Naruto/Bleach/Dragon Ball are the best anime ever. Ininformed people that have no base or real standing in a community, commenting about said community.

Mister_E

I view
Quote from: PyronIkari on March 27, 2008, 07:35:11 PM
Quote from: Ceirnian on March 27, 2008, 09:15:48 AM
Stuff here.

THe difference is... WE are players, and we compete, and we actually give a damn about the status of the tournament, because we are PART OF THE TOURNAMENT. Yes, most of the staff dislikes 3S, you act as if that's news to me. But they know better than to remove it seeing that it is currently the most popular game. There's a difference between "dislike" and "bad" as well as "like" and "good". And even though most of EVO staff dislikes 3S, they don't deny that it is a good game. And most of EVO staff will agree that VF is a great game, but most of them don't really like it either.

So... what is your point?

You seemed to complete miss the point as to why I said everything in my posts as *I* was the one that was challenged, and I was merely replying.

Chloe's comments are fine, but they don't mean shit. Just as it doesn't mean shit when some kid that only watches cartoon network claims that Naruto/Bleach/Dragon Ball are the best anime ever. Ininformed people that have no base or real standing in a community, commenting about said community.
I view them as gateway Animes for even better Anime for todays youth. But hey I'm just sayin'.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

JTchinoy

Quote from: norcalduy on March 23, 2008, 12:30:37 PM
im going to win evo.

bronson.
be careful of Jack's df+2. It's a killer.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Barnes

Bump. Just felt like posting the rules for Brawl:
http://www.evo2k.com/playerGuide/gamerules.php

QuoteSuper Smash Brothers Brawl

* Game version: Nintendo Wii
    * Game Settings: Singles VS Melee
    * First game of a match to be played on Smashville. Players can decide to play on any map, if both players agree.
    * Excessive stalling or abusing terrain to not engage the enemy is prohibited, and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match.
    * Losing player can pick what method to be used after match:

Method A
      1) First stage is Smashville
      2) Winner keeps character
      3) Loser can either pick stage or character
      4) If loser picks stage then character is kept
      5) If loser picks character then stage is kept

Method B
      1) First stage is Smashville
      2) Loser picks stage
      3) Winner picks character
      4) Loser picks character

* 3 Stock, 5 Min timer, 2/3 Games
    * Items on medium spawn
    * Sudden Death will not decide the outcome of the game
    * Allowed Items: Banana Peel, Unira, Spring, Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Smoke Ball, Freezie, Super Scope, Sandbag, Food, Screw Attack, Warp Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Baseball Bat, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Hothead, Smash Ball, Ray Gun, Pitfall, Cracker Launcher, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Bumper, Franklin Badge.
    * Banned Stages: New Pork City, Hyrule Temple, Warioware, Spear Pillar, Flat Zone 2, Original Mario Brothers, Mushroomy Kingdom, 75m, Summit, Rumble Falls

Smash Ball= YES! And the F-Zero stages AREN'T on the banned list.  ;D

EDIT: Screw Brawl, the new Street Fighter games mentioned here:
http://www.evo2k.com/  ;D
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Mizuki

SF4 and STHD location test if anyone cares, and I've heard from the man himself that there's crazy speculation of BlazBlue being there.

Barnes

This SRK thread shows the results:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=161899

QuoteCvS2 - Top 8

Final Results:

1st - John Choi
2nd - BAS
3rd - Ricky Ortiz
4th - Justin Wong
5th - Tokido/Gene Wong
7th - Combofiend/Buktooth

Tekken DR - Top 8

Final Results:

1st - Ryan Hart
2nd - Gandido
3rd - Cano
4th - Owen
5th - Lingmassacre/KOR
7th - Rip/Som

Third Strike - Top 8

Final Results:

1st - Nuki
2nd - Justin Wong
3rd - Amir
4th - Tokido
5th - JR/Fubarduck
7th - Watson/Ryan Hart

Brawl - Top 8

Final Results:

1st - CPU
2nd - Ken
3rd - Hall
4th - SK97
5th - Darwin/Peapo
7th - WDRM/Bardull

Super Turbo - Top 8

Final Results:

1st - John Choi
2nd - Nuki
3rd - Alex Valle
4th - Tokido
5th - Kusumondo/Sirlin
7th - Justin Wong/Shirts

MvC2 - Top 8

Final Results:

1st - Justin Wong
2nd - Chunksta
3rd - Smoothviper
4th - Crizzle
5th - Toan/Wes
7th - MegamanDS/Fanatiq

Street Fighter 4 8-Man Invitational Tourney Results:

1st - Kindevu (Rufus)
2nd - Justin Wong (Abel)
3rd - John Choi and Nuki

Guilty Gear AC Singles Side Tourney Results:

1st - Elvenshadow (Faust)
2nd - Blacksnake (Venom)
3rd - Nerina (Baiken)
4th - Hellmonkey (Baiken)
5th - Harbinger (Millia)
5th - Frank the Tank (May)

Guilty Gear AC Teams Side Tourney Results:

1st - Team Midwest (Elvenshadow/Blacksnake/AKA)
2nd - Team Japan (Miu/Nerina/Hellmonkey)
3rd - Team Latif & Friends (Latif/Digital Watches/Hellsap)
4th - Team Mike Z (Mike Z/Pulsr/Shtkn)

So I trimmed the quote, sue me  :P
And I missed out on the fun again.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

mDuo13

So there was a 36-person Melty Blood singles tourney, and a fairly sizable teams tourney, too.

Here are the singles results (with who they lost to) and their main characters (I wasn't there for the whole thing, though, so I don't know all of them):
Quote1 Kijea (noone) - Mech Hisui
2 Jiyuna (magz/Kijea) - Nanaya
3 Tare (Kijea/Jiyuna) - Arcueid
4 Nerina (not present/Jiyuna) - Warc
5 Magz (Tare/Nerina) - Sion
5 Gaylar (Kijea/Jiyuna) -
7 Prinny (Jiyuna/Nerina) - Arcueid
7 H-F Blade (Tare/Jiyuna) - Ciel
9 Veteru (Kijea/Prinny) -
9 Hellmonkey (Tare/Forfeit) - Len
9 Voomer (Tare/H-F Blade) - Nrvnqsr
9 Xie (Magz/Jiyuna) -
13 Tenkai (Zar/Prinny) - Akiha
13 Numakie (Tsubasa/Forfeit) - Hisui
13 Tsubasa (Nerina/H-F Blade) - Hisui
13 Zar the Biscuit (Kijea/Jiyuna) - Aoko
Yes, Tsubasa tied for 13th. Good job!

Melty Cup (teams tournament) results (winners went home with $770 split three ways):
Quote1 Even though we win often - Jiyuna/ Zar the Biscuit/ Tenkai
2 mash harder scrubs - Nerina/ Magz/ Hellmonkey
3 Two and a half koreans - HF Blade/ Kijea/ Kryojenix
4 Dinner at denny's - Munsu/ Prinny/ BBHood
5 pineapple - Voomer/ Tare/ pfhor
5 please don't ocv us - Xie/ Jux/ J050
7 Team Dakanya - Kyrie/ Tsubasa/ Granola
7 we'd rather be playing blitz - Zaelar/ Master Chibi
9 Team Gimmicks - Shizuka/ Qaenyin/ Digitalwatches
9 niisan yamate kudosai - Akira/ Shujinko
The team tourney was really close, too. They played grandfinals twice because it was double elimination and the losers' bracket winner beat the winners' bracket winner the first time. It came down to about one solid hit in the last round between last player on each team.

JTchinoy

i hear the side guilty gear tournament had more interest than the tekken DR tourney.  :P

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

None of the actual Melty Blood players played Melty Blood this year(because they didn't go). DR no one cared about, T6 is out.

Evo this year had a lot of awesome stuff, but because of Tougeki behing this weekend, a lot of people didn't go, amongst a bunch of other stuff. Too many people missing was one of the reasons I decided not to go this year.

PS: You realize tieing for 7th in a 36 man bracket isn't anything spectacular. 5 wins. All that matters in a tournament really is top 3, unless you're over 64 people, then top 8 is recognizable.

Tsubasa

Quote from: PyronIkari on August 13, 2008, 10:43:32 PMNone of the actual Melty Blood players played Melty Blood this year(because they didn't go).

There were some notable exclusions, but for the most part, much of the community was represented.  Most everyone in the top 13 are recognizable names.  And, although responses will vary from person to person, it's hard not to consider many of those players as top players nationwide.

I can't deny that there were less entrants this year compared to last, but from what I heard about Evo 07 (as I wasn't there), the overall quality of play this year was definitely higher.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

PyronIkari

Quote from: Tsubasa on August 13, 2008, 11:04:23 PM

There were some notable exclusions, but for the most part, much of the community was represented.  Most everyone in the top 13 are recognizable names.  And, although responses will vary from person to person, it's hard not to consider many of those players as top players nationwide.

I can't deny that there were less entrants this year compared to last, but from what I heard about Evo 07 (as I wasn't there), the overall quality of play this year was definitely higher.

That can be said about any game. As time goes by, people get better. Melty is relatively unplayed but the ones that do are recognized. In the end though, it's just a side game, and even most of the serious players don't take the game that seriously. The game is what most people accused Guilty Gear of being. Just fanboy otaku bait...

Tsubasa

That discourse was basically just a counter to this:

Quote from: PyronIkari on August 13, 2008, 10:43:32 PMNone of the actual Melty Blood players played Melty Blood this year(because they didn't go).

Just wanted to point out that Melty players really did go and made themselves heard.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

mDuo13

PyronIkari, I didn't see you at EVO. Did you actually go, or are you just getting your information from the reports of your "friends"?

PyronIkari

Quote from: mDuo13 on August 18, 2008, 09:18:24 AM
PyronIkari, I didn't see you at EVO. Did you actually go, or are you just getting your information from the reports of your "friends"?

I didn't go this year. I had work, and with an upcoming Japan trip I didn't want to spend money.

Mizuki went, and he told me a lot about what happened. Same with Buzzsaw saying he wanted to kick my ass more, wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I also talked a little to Arlieth and a lot of other Melty players about what happened.

Mizuki

Oh god, my name mentioned?! Prepare for the greater storm.