Having Problem with getting an ID for Badge Pick up? Check here!

Started by LadyKaren, February 28, 2008, 07:59:57 PM

LadyKaren

Freaked out because School ID's aren't accepted at Fanime?
Worried about having no passport, driver's license or other government issued ID?
Scared that you won't be about to get a badge for Con now?

Fear not!

If you are a California resident and you have about $23 (not to bribe the registration staff), then you can apply for an ID card - regardless of your age!

Because of the concern about the ID issue at Fanime, I have compiled some info on getting an ID card for picking up your badge at fanime.

This was pulled from the CA DMV Website
QuoteWho May Get an ID Card

When you don't have a driver's license, you need to get an official ID card to prove who you are. Anyone of any age may apply for an ID card: children, seniors, and nondrivers. The first thing to do is to make an appointment at your local DMV office. Online service isn't available.

You'll also need an original DL 44C form. If you would like to do this before your appointment, visit your local DMV or call (800) 777-0133 to have one mailed. You can always fill it out during your appointment, though.
Your Appointment Day

When you go to the local DMV on your appointment day, be prepared to do the following:

* Fill out an application form (DL 44C).

* Have your thumbprint taken.

* Have your picture taken.

* Provide your Social Security number.

* Show proof of your birth date and legal presence.

* Pay your fee with check, cash, or debit card (at some DMVs). No credit cards.

Fees

Your fee, paid during your appointment, will be:

* $23 application fee for most applicants.

* Free, for those 62 years of age or older.

* Free, for those who must give up a driver license due to a medical condition.

* A $7 reduced-fee ID card is available for low-income residents.

It takes about 60 days to receive your new California ID card in the mail; meanwhile, hang onto the receipt. If it's been that long and you didn't get it, call (800) 777-0133 for help.

While writing this, there are only 85 days before Fanime. It takes about 60 days to process the ID card, so if you want to make sure you have the ID card before fanime, You must complete this process by March 31st!~

FanFicGuru

Quote from: LadyKaren on February 28, 2008, 07:59:57 PM
Freaked out because School ID's aren't accepted at Fanime?
Worried about having no passport, driver's license or other government issued ID?
Scared that you won't be about to get a badge for Con now?

Fear not!

If you are a California resident and you have about $23 (not to bribe the registration staff), then you can apply for an ID card - regardless of your age!

Because of the concern about the ID issue at Fanime, I have compiled some info on getting an ID card for picking up your badge at fanime.

This was pulled from the CA DMV Website
QuoteWho May Get an ID Card

When you don't have a driver's license, you need to get an official ID card to prove who you are. Anyone of any age may apply for an ID card: children, seniors, and nondrivers. The first thing to do is to make an appointment at your local DMV office. Online service isn't available.

You'll also need an original DL 44C form. If you would like to do this before your appointment, visit your local DMV or call (800) 777-0133 to have one mailed. You can always fill it out during your appointment, though.
Your Appointment Day

When you go to the local DMV on your appointment day, be prepared to do the following:

* Fill out an application form (DL 44C).

* Have your thumbprint taken.

* Have your picture taken.

* Provide your Social Security number.

* Show proof of your birth date and legal presence.

* Pay your fee with check, cash, or debit card (at some DMVs). No credit cards.

Fees

Your fee, paid during your appointment, will be:

* $23 application fee for most applicants.

* Free, for those 62 years of age or older.

* Free, for those who must give up a driver license due to a medical condition.

* A $7 reduced-fee ID card is available for low-income residents.

It takes about 60 days to receive your new California ID card in the mail; meanwhile, hang onto the receipt. If it's been that long and you didn't get it, call (800) 777-0133 for help.

While writing this, there are only 85 days before Fanime. It takes about 60 days to process the ID card, so if you want to make sure you have the ID card before fanime, You must complete this process by March 31st!~

Also, in my experience it doesn't take 60 days most of the time. Usually you'll get your ID card within 3-4 weeks. Do not fret if you are a bit late.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Xeluu

I'm going to argue with you there. The DMV had a HORRIBLE time getting my sister her ID. It took them MUCH longer than the regular time.... I wanna say it took four months since they kept screwing up.

Get it sooner versus later.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

LadyKaren

Quote from: Xeluu on February 29, 2008, 03:17:41 PM
I'm going to argue with you there. The DMV had a HORRIBLE time getting my sister her ID. It took them MUCH longer than the regular time.... I wanna say it took four months since they kept screwing up.

Get it sooner versus later.

DMV is known for being horrible, but it's better than nothing.

Chewie

Good luck everyone.

Couple of tips:

Make an appointment. If you don't it's pretty much like trying to run up hill on rolling logs while dragging a pinto behind you. Translation, you'd be stupid for not doing it.

If you cannot make an appointment for whatever reason (like it rough do ya?), the DMV is one of those places to get to really early to get in the front of the line. If they open at 7, be there at 6 and have those bells polished!

Lastly, read the form above. DO NOT FORGET ANYTHING THEY REQUIRE. If you aren't sure, call and ask someone for help but make sure you have it BEFORE you go because believe me it saves you the trouble, heartache and ulcer of having to wait in line and then having them tell you forgot the signed paper from your auntie Tootsie in Tuscon, Egypt.

While I am still a firm believer of an alternative, this is your only option. Get the money, get in, get it ordered. I for one am going to hate to see ANYONE turned away because of an ID issue.

Get it done.

^_^

- C

RagolSlayer

Another suggestion:

- If you get the chance, get the DL44 form at your local DMV office and take it home with you so you can fill it out in advance. It may seem inconvenient to go to the DMV twice, but it saves you a huge chunk of time compared to filling out the form in the DMV (Getting in line to get the form, getting out of line to fill out the form, and getting back into line to have somebody check your form.) I saved myself 40 minutes at the DMV by doing this.

milan

Man..I hope I get my ID in time. I've been bugging my mom about this for the past 2 months, and she scheduled an appointment for me 2 weeks ago, but didn't tell me, and forgot. =_=;; She's been busy ever since, but today I went to the DMV and picked up a form. My mom can't take me tomorrow, so I'm going to have to make an appointment to do it on Monday (March 31). I REALLY hope everything goes smoothly and I get my ID in time... :L

If somehow I don't receive my ID in time, do you think staff will let me in with a school ID? I highly doubt it, but maybe if I beg or something, there could be a chance. XD I don't know if it would help but I attend school in the San Jose area (Berryessa)...

Anyway, this thread really helped. Thanks ^_^

Airi

Oh no! No one at my Anime club at school mentioned this to me (this is my first con) O_O If I am able to register for an ID by this weekend, will it be able to make it on time?

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Airi on April 01, 2008, 10:43:54 PM
Oh no! No one at my Anime club at school mentioned this to me (this is my first con) O_O If I am able to register for an ID by this weekend, will it be able to make it on time?

It should be fine.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

bluayu

Hm...if I wasn't able to get an ID card for the con because of the appointment date and basically them being slow how will this be handled? o_o;; Financally I can't afford it as it is (as explained in my ID problem post)  :( and it's a lot of hassle since I'll *only* be using it for Fanime con and nothing else since I'm sixteen underaged and possibly (or not since driving is somewhat dangerous out here...-is originally for TN but moved to CA) re-thinking on permits and all. I have no use for one until I'm of-age actually. I'm not ever planning to drink ever (that's what it's mainly used for ne?) and if I re-think about getting a permit over the summer than I'm waiting until I'm of age to where there's less hassle. Plus I don't even have a passport (uwa I'm so sheltered...-_-) either... Would there be any other way of having alternitive proof that I am who I say I am and be able to recive my badge since I'm already pre-registered and have been since October of 2007?

*~BluAyu~*

"私ーたちはキーラです。。。。"
We are the Kira...

KyraEnsui

Quote from: bluayu on April 05, 2008, 12:00:14 AM
Hm...if I wasn't able to get an ID card for the con because of the appointment date and basically them being slow how will this be handled? o_o;; Financally I can't afford it as it is (as explained in my ID problem post)  :( and it's a lot of hassle since I'll *only* be using it for Fanime con and nothing else since I'm sixteen underaged and possibly (or not since driving is somewhat dangerous out here...-is originally for TN but moved to CA) re-thinking on permits and all. I have no use for one until I'm of-age actually. I'm not ever planning to drink ever (that's what it's mainly used for ne?) and if I re-think about getting a permit over the summer than I'm waiting until I'm of age to where there's less hassle. Plus I don't even have a passport (uwa I'm so sheltered...-_-) either... Would there be any other way of having alternitive proof that I am who I say I am and be able to recive my badge since I'm already pre-registered and have been since October of 2007?

Getting an ID card can be used in more usage than one beside Fanime. There are other places that requires it especially if someone can't get a DL. You should try contacting [registration at fanime dot com] about this since you said you register since October. Plus, this topic has been discuss more than once for the past months too about ID.

Oh yeah. I don't used my ID for mainly drinking.

bluayu

Quote from: KyraEnsui on April 05, 2008, 01:41:33 AM
Quote from: bluayu on April 05, 2008, 12:00:14 AM

Getting an ID card can be used in more usage than one beside Fanime. There are other places that requires it especially if someone can't get a DL. You should try contacting [registration at fanime dot com] about this since you said you register since October. Plus, this topic has been discuss more than once for the past months too about ID.

Oh yeah. I don't used my ID for mainly drinking.

Contacted. Hopefully something will pull through. So far I haven't went anywhere that requires ID. I'm much too busy with keeping up a 4.0 GPA in school to be going too many places. >_>;; -flops- (I want have fun moooore!) Yes, I didn't bother really looking at the site or fourm for a couple months assuming the rules wouldn't change since registration began-rules usually don't change suddenly-I wanted to check the site when it was near the date of the convention itself and paid for not keeping updated...

>> -nods- Assuming is bad on my part. Someone told me that helped and I was like...why would I need an ID for that when I'm underaged? XD
*~BluAyu~*

"私ーたちはキーラです。。。。"
We are the Kira...

Ari

If you do it NOW! Then it may come right before the con. good luck

Chewie

You are required by law to be able to show ID to any police officer in California at any time if asked.

Certain stores card for energy drinks. A LOT of businesses are starting to card full parties even if one person is drinking. You need ID with atm cards. Credit cards. To buy certain movies, music or video games.

The needs for it are endless.

And yes, I was one of the biggest advocates against requiring government IDs, but at this point, $25 is better than losing out completely.

Being "sheltered" is no excuse. You'll be an adult before you know it.

phoenixphire24

Plus, should something should happen to you at Fanime or around Fanime in San Jose, it will be a lot easier to get your information from a state ID than trying to track down your info through a school or other ID (especially since the school would be closed on the holiday weekend). Hopefully nothing bad will happen to anyone at Fanime, but you never know when an incident or medical emergency will occur.  :-\

TrinSF

Two things:

1. The original post links to "the CA DMV website" -- except it's not. dmv.org is not affiliated with the state of California or any other state. The link has ads, popups, and has in the past been linked to malware. The correct address would be at dmv.ca.gov. Because the dmv.org website is simply an adsite that posts information from state DMVs, it may or may not be accurate at any given time and should not be used as "the" source.

2. I've just had to have the "I don't think you will be able to go to Fanime" conversation with my daughter, because of the ID policy. There is no legal requirement in California for a 16 year old to have a state-issued ID or to show such a state issued ID. For employment, Federal law says employers can accept other kinds of identification to prove identity and citizenship. (She's not even required to have it when for air travel, because picture ID requirements don't apply to those under age 18.) My daughter does not drive, and will not work until she is older. But even if we wanted to go out and get her a state ID - solely for Fanime -- we could not. She's with me after an acrimonious custody dispute. Her father has her original birth certificate and social security card, and we have no way of getting them back from him, so I'll have to replace those. I had planned to do so in the coming months, because she has summer plans that need them. However, getting a new birth certificate copy will take 6-8 weeks. Without it, she cannot apply for a state ID, so she's unable to have one in time for Fanime.

I sent email to registration about this, but haven't gotten a response; my impression is that they have a high volume of email and I may not ever get a response. Because I'm not willing to pay for memberships and hotel rooms for a con she may be barred from attending, I've had to explain to her that if we don't hear from Reg, we will have to cancel her attendance. She's upset, in part because she's part of a cosplay group and this is late to be letting them know this. It turns out that the other group members also were not aware of this requirement and they probably don't have state ID's either, so they're probably not going to be able to attend anyway.

I've helped run cons on and off for over 20 years. I understand problems with registration and wanting to have valid ID's. I just wanted to point out that there are entirely reasonable situations that would make "just go get a state ID" not a viable solution. I haven't even touched on how this makes Fanime "for citizens only", because you can't get a state ID without a social security number.

milan

I'm so relieved. I got my ID in the mail today, it only took a week! :D

bluayu

See? This what I don't get! I'm going through the same problems however, for me it's the fact that I'm not getting any support from my parents on my matter so I'm basically doing everything I can on my own. (Yesh they do not support my anime/Japan related hobbies by any means..lol)

>_>;; I don't get why school IDs aren't valid. Most have the last four-5 digits of the person's social security number now. How could you fake a social security number or at the matter steal a badge without a picture ID and password, ect, ect... ?My friend even told me when I brought this up, she went to AX which is even a bigger con and they even accepted YEARBOOK pictures and that's a much bigger convention than Fanime by a huge number. o_o Plus they had SKIN there too that year because another person told me they're upping the measures because it's An Cafe's last concert for their worldwide tour. o_o;;

Not whining. Just questioning why it's been upped a little bit when other cons that have a bigger population number have easier ways in...o_o;

If I get an e-mail from Fanime I'll let you know if there are any other methods on getting in without a state ID! :-)

Quote from: TrinSF on April 07, 2008, 07:02:58 PM
Two things:

1. The original post links to "the CA DMV website" -- except it's not. dmv.org is not affiliated with the state of California or any other state. The link has ads, popups, and has in the past been linked to malware. The correct address would be at dmv.ca.gov. Because the dmv.org website is simply an adsite that posts information from state DMVs, it may or may not be accurate at any given time and should not be used as "the" source.

2. I've just had to have the "I don't think you will be able to go to Fanime" conversation with my daughter, because of the ID policy. There is no legal requirement in California for a 16 year old to have a state-issued ID or to show such a state issued ID. For employment, Federal law says employers can accept other kinds of identification to prove identity and citizenship. (She's not even required to have it when for air travel, because picture ID requirements don't apply to those under age 18.) My daughter does not drive, and will not work until she is older. But even if we wanted to go out and get her a state ID - solely for Fanime -- we could not. She's with me after an acrimonious custody dispute. Her father has her original birth certificate and social security card, and we have no way of getting them back from him, so I'll have to replace those. I had planned to do so in the coming months, because she has summer plans that need them. However, getting a new birth certificate copy will take 6-8 weeks. Without it, she cannot apply for a state ID, so she's unable to have one in time for Fanime.

I sent email to registration about this, but haven't gotten a response; my impression is that they have a high volume of email and I may not ever get a response. Because I'm not willing to pay for memberships and hotel rooms for a con she may be barred from attending, I've had to explain to her that if we don't hear from Reg, we will have to cancel her attendance. She's upset, in part because she's part of a cosplay group and this is late to be letting them know this. It turns out that the other group members also were not aware of this requirement and they probably don't have state ID's either, so they're probably not going to be able to attend anyway.

I've helped run cons on and off for over 20 years. I understand problems with registration and wanting to have valid ID's. I just wanted to point out that there are entirely reasonable situations that would make "just go get a state ID" not a viable solution. I haven't even touched on how this makes Fanime "for citizens only", because you can't get a state ID without a social security number.
*~BluAyu~*

"私ーたちはキーラです。。。。"
We are the Kira...

KyraEnsui

Quote from: bluayu on April 07, 2008, 08:50:36 PM
See? This what I don't get! I'm going through the same problems however, for me it's the fact that I'm not getting any support from my parents on my matter so I'm basically doing everything I can on my own. (Yesh they do not support my anime/Japan related hobbies by any means..lol)

>_>;; I don't get why school IDs aren't valid. Most have the last four-5 digits of the person's social security number now. How could you fake a social security number or at the matter steal a badge without a picture ID and password, ect, ect... ?

Honestly, let's say if someone knows your social security number and place their picture over the school ID or other forms and assumes that person's identity. How would anyone feel from both sides of the party? In this technological age, it's quite easy when you have a computer. You don't have to fake the social security number, you just have to know how and what it is and the con artist is set to steal your identity.

It's better to be safe and take precaution.

bluayu

I've never heard of this being done at cons. Hm...Something to look into. Why would somebody go through all of that trouble tho? Probably because they can...but that's just strange to me. o_o It would take a lot to copy a school ID though....even if you could fake being the person...especially a sixteen year old male or female unless you have a baby face...o_o;;; -amused-

Quote from: KyraEnsui on April 07, 2008, 09:14:05 PM
Quote from: bluayu on April 07, 2008, 08:50:36 PM

>_>;; I don't get why school IDs aren't valid. Most have the last four-5 digits of the person's social security number now. How could you fake a social security number or at the matter steal a badge without a picture ID and password, ect, ect... ?

Honestly, let's say if someone knows your social security number and place their picture over the school ID or other forms and assumes that person's identity. How would anyone feel from both sides of the party? In this technological age, it's quite easy when you have a computer. You don't have to fake the social security number, you just have to know how and what it is and the con artist is set to steal your identity.

It's better to be safe and take precaution.

*~BluAyu~*

"私ーたちはキーラです。。。。"
We are the Kira...