Who is your daddy and what does he do? The job thread!

Started by ChenCzen, March 02, 2008, 06:22:10 PM

ChenCzen

Inspired by a friend asking me what I wanted to be when I was a kid (thus the kindergarten cop title!):

I know a lot of you are still going to school right now, now is a good time to start putting in job applications for the summer, but there are a few of us working stiff types on here. How do YOU pay for all that great swag at fanime? Maybe you have a cool job with a certain 'circus' that you have yet to hook me up with tickets for, as an example (seriously, wtf. I asked like a million years ago!)

Anyways, tell us all about what it is you do! If you are in school tell us what you study and what you hope to be. For bonus points all your working types tell us what you wanted to be as a kid.

Me? I wanted to be a racecar driver. I think at one point I wanted to be some sort of special forces guy, like Solid Snake.

I think just about everyone knows I ended up joining the Navy as an Air Traffic Controller. Basically I'm learning how to keep planes from plowing into each other so that you all get where you need to go alive.

This is where I do my Airing, my traffic-ing, and a little bit of controlling at about 5 stories up in a giant fishbowl.

From inside the fishbowl: thats not me sitting there, I'm the guy holding the camera!

So what do I actually do all day? Not a whole hell of a lot. I sit with my feet up mostly. Right now Im working on a ground qualification... before you can try and separate planes in the sky it helps to be able to keep them from running into each other on the ground. Planes don't have a reverse oddly enough so its best to make sure you don't have any meet another one face to face or you get a 'mexican standoff' and that would suck.

After thats out of the way Im moving to radar final controller. Thats the guy who talks to the pilot while hes coming in for an instrument landing. He wants to know if hes too high or low, left or right of course, and when its a good time to touchdown. following that theres arrival controller, the job most people think of for controllers, who sits infront of a scope with the rotating sweep. And of course Local who controls planes in the sky that enter the airspace and want to putz around.

Why did I pick this job? The money mostly. When I get out I can make as much as 6 figures. Thats enough to eat con food for the whole weekend! 

Except for ending communism, slavery, nazism, and fascism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!!

gaaraluvr787

My dad is an engineer

I've always wanted to be a manga artist (since i was a kid, too! XD haven't changed much)

i just do chores and get $10 a week...

Sunara Ishi

I'm the freak. I wanted to be a magician. Not the magic tricks kind, the sorceress kind. XP But for a very short time as a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut. Cause I like space. XP And I grew up on Star Trek. >.>; Needless to say, I threw that one away cause I knew I wouldn't be able to explore the universe.

Now I'm just studying graphic design. And thinking about dabbing a lil into fashion design. I guess I'm into more practical careers I can enjoy for the long term. Or as long as possible.

Though I admit, being a circus performer does sound fun. Flying through the air... ~drools~ I do love the feeling of being off the ground. But I'm pretty sure it takes years of training and that they don't take just anyone. >.>; And what would my relatives say... >.>; And I'm not sure how well it pays.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

BrightHeart76

I wanted to be a zoologist.  Why?  I have no idea.  I was a kid. 

What am I now?  I am a clerk and computer assistant (aka computer teacher) at a public school for kids from PK thru 6th Grade.  Instead of hearding wild animals in an enclosure I heard Kindergarteners in the lunch room.  It's really not that different.   :P  I'm happy doing what I do.  I came across this part of the education field by accident, but I really enjoy it.   ;D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

KawaiiAngel

I'm a hostess right now X[ it's a good job (lots of people throw money at you)...but then again it's horrible...(stress/old guys hitting on meh...)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/turtle-bay-seafood-and-grill-foster-city#hrid:TMZ1e_z_-PbDDRIrS8r85A/query:turtle%20bay%20seafood%20and%20grill

that's its yelp page...yay...come check us out! (it's expensive as all hell though, be forewarned)

uhhh and yeah, when I get out of school I want to be a nutritionist...or a graphic designer...or a business wooman

yeaa

ChenCzen

Quote from: KawaiiAngel on March 02, 2008, 09:20:25 PM
I'm a hostess right now X[ it's a good job (lots of people throw money at you)...but then again it's horrible...(stress/old guys hitting on meh...)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/turtle-bay-seafood-and-grill-foster-city#hrid:TMZ1e_z_-PbDDRIrS8r85A/query:turtle%20bay%20seafood%20and%20grill

that's its yelp page...yay...come check us out! (it's expensive as all hell though, be forewarned)

uhhh and yeah, when I get out of school I want to be a nutritionist...or a graphic designer...or a business wooman

yeaa

I thought you said you didnt mind me hitting on you! /cry
Except for ending communism, slavery, nazism, and fascism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!!

VictimX

Well my father is retired but he worked at a microbiology laboratory producing those petri dishes used in bacteria culture testing. I have always loved working with my hands and seeing the results of hard labor so I wanted to be a mechanic and work on cars but one thing led to another and I feel into another field which went the other way and I became a heavy diesel technician/commercial truck driver which is rather fun as it allows me to go and do things up and down California moneys good but like everyone else feels about pay it could be better. Theplus of what I do is I can work on my own cars and as some of you have seen I do that alot, still one of the things I like and keeps the days feeling new is the people I meet and seeing what they bring in day after day and how people can do these things...

Didn't use his parking parks.

The driver pulled up with this still in the tank so what mess did he leave behind at the gas station?

This suv cought fire in our parking lot sometime in the morning it was a sight to see in the end his phone's charger did it.

for a few more pics at work click here.

I'd like to do something else later in life but for now I'm having to much fun.

SOawesomeness

Lately, I'd been thinking about being a Human Resources manager or even an English teacher in Korea/Japan (they get paid hecka money. o.0).
When I was little, I wanted to be an astronomist (crap, sp?), vet, psychologist, manga-candy joint store owner, famous actress, programmer at Gaia, pharmacist... needless to say, I've grown up and been more idealistic. xD (Plus, I tried some of that out. I suck at math and degrees, being a vet, psychologist and pharmacist takes too long, I suck at programming, and I really can't act... at all... >.> )
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

GirlfromIpanema

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on March 02, 2008, 10:40:16 PM
an English teacher in Korea/Japan (they get paid hecka money. o.0).

I hope you wouldn't want to be an English teach in Japan just for the money.  Because it's really not that much money in Japan...

On JET and similar "better" paying programs out there, you're being paid about 30K per year.  If you're working for a language school, you're being paid less.  This is not a lot of money in Japan.  It costs more to live in Japan than it does in California, and, as you should know, 30K barely pays the bills in some parts of California.

I can't say anything about Korea.  I visited recently and the low cost of living compared to Japan was amazing.  And it seems like part time english teaching jobs pay very well there.  (My best friend's younger sister is currently studying abroad there.)

And since I posted in this thread, I guess it would be retarded to not post what I do.  I'm a finance lawyer for the Tokyo branch of a large American law firm.  As you can guess, this pays very well, but is an incredibly busy job.  Being bilingual in Japanese and English, there's definitely a broader range of work that I can do here in Japan, though, undoubtedly, I would have better hours in the States.  I do have a lot of friends here from the various phases of my life (college in Japan, anime/music industry friends from my con days, finance people), but it's incredibly nice when my closest friends like Mikey (PyronIkari) come visit from the States.     

Jerry

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on March 02, 2008, 10:40:16 PM
Lately, I'd been thinking about being a Human Resources manager....

Actually, I AM a HR Resources Manager... its not as glamorous as you think... especially if u thinking being shot out of cannons, dealing with clowns and (HAWT) contortionist all day... being fed free (awesome) meals by world trained chefs... being owned by the Circus (Cirque Du Soleil) and working ALOT (6 days a week and more than 12 hour days) and literally get paid peanuts...

Well the circus will be rid of me in 2 weeks time anyway. *sniffle* then I go back to being and office HR monkey stuck in some tiny cubicle next to santana row...

but to this day I've ALWAYS wanted to be a video game/anime GURU for like a big time video game/anime company... doing stuff like testing games, helping out with story board creation and basically being creative....

even tho my comedic timing need works, my short stories suck, and i cant even draw stick figures right.

but the circus boy in me would dream... or wish I could travel the world more.

time for another adventure? always.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Jun-Watarase

I can barely remember all the things I've wanted to do since I was a kid... I know that I had an extreme interest in science when I was in elementary - middle school, then in high school, had more of an interest in art. Both my parents are card dealers, so if I ever needed a fallback in that, I'd always have their help.

The first career I've ever wanted in my life was probably a paleontologist. I absolutely adored dinosaurs. I had a ton of plushies I'd sleep with, books, figures from Chuck E. Cheese's, and watched every single dinosaur documentary available on the Discovery Channel. Then, I went to Yellowstone park for the first time, and witnessed all sorts of geological formations and types of rocks, thus starting a collection from what I'd find on the ground (which was technically illegal, but I didn't know that.) and bought a fossil as a souvenir, my interest in becoming a geologist and paleontologist sort of went hand-in-hand.

When I grew up a tiny bit, I started questioning whether or not the world actually needed those things. I developed an interest in biology soon after, to study life and also contribute to science with information I'd be more than happy to discover. All sorts of interests came from biology. Steve Irwin and Jeff Corwin were like... my heroes. I wanted to be a wildlife biologist, specializing in reptiles, bats, and specifically snakes-- but once I hit 7th grade, I started having a more obsessed interest in marine biology. I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium whenever I could, and it's still considered one of my favorite places to this day, right next to the California Academy of Science (which will be done building this Fall!) I had some poster reproductions of Christian Reese Lassen's paintings, and started buying documentaries, especially interested in deep sea life and dolphins. It -still- somewhat fascinates me. Mikey and I were watching a documentary on giant squids last night. I just had to ditch this idea, but I wasn't sure it'd bring the bread to the table.

So in high school, I thought about being a graphic designer or a veterinarian. I already loved art alongside science, but I had this extremely pessimistic idea of art as a career (you know, starving artists?) so I tried to look up careers that people actually needed at the time. But art's still very competitive to this day, and I'd have a hard time with living such a life of uncertainty. Same with being a vet-- I did a presentation on it, and even brought in my pet rat to school to show how to check-up rodents, but realistically, I knew schooling for becoming a vet would absolutely kill me.

Other jobs I wanted to do are things like... car mechanic, wind chaser, bartender (every girl's dream?), coroner, surgeon, professional pianist, seiyuu (hahaha, don't scold me for this.), plane pilot, jet pilot, film director, photographer, journalist, computer programmer (which turned out to be... very boring in comparison to what I had expected), horror movie make-up artist, hair stylist, fashion designer, model (BAHAHAHA..), special effects engineer, etc etc etc. Oh, I also wanted to be part of the gangster life in Asia-- silly huh? =P

What I want to do now is to become a audio engineer and work in a music studio, maybe specifically with studio equiptment and/or mix. Music composition would be my side-hobby. I have an appreciation for music of all genres, specifically rock, hip hop, jazz, and classical, and I wanted to learn as many instruments possible, so I had picked up some piano, acoustic guitar, bass guitar, some drums (which I didn't get to practice much of), jazz harmonica, and eventually violin that Kaki-nee (GirlfromIpanema) had given me. I have a good grasp on recording equipment, and am learning how to use Ableton Live, eventually buying a Mac to learn Reason and Pro Tools.

I've been questioning the life of a studio engineer, though. By how competitive it is these days, I want to push myself to work harder towards it, but realistically, for things to go well seems like a whimsical dream. Being a studio engineer without being extremely successful would mean a life of extreme uncertainty, and as good as that'd be for while I'm -young-, it'll bite me in the ass when I'm older. I've recently thought about going into business... I'm not disappointed with that choice, and I still have a good amount of time, but a head start could never hurt. I've still got a lot of thinking to do.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Kandybar

I always wanted to be an astronaut, but I couldn't because of my eyesight.

So I became an aerospace engineer instead, and knowing what I know now, you couldn't pay me enough to get me on the shuttle.  That thing is a death trap.

Moonblossom

I used to want to be a foley editor ><'' I still kind of do, but I'm partially deaf in one ear and can't pick up subtle nuances in high frequencies, which might be an impediment.

Currently I work in a toy store - www.cmdstore.com is our website :)

RyuHayabusa

I wanted to be a cartoonist/paleontologist back in the day. I still want to do the cartoonist part at least and I know how to write as well(Writer), so I can do either. I work at UPS for now and some of my friends here know that I tell a lot of horror stories from that place.

If you are looking for a job, don't go there. seriously. PM me if you want to know why.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Kazuko

MY PAPA is a real estate agent

I am planning on studying childs psychology because i love how the mind works, I get it from my dad we would analyze people but with the whole childs mentality i drew that to be a place i wanted to go, also because of my autsitic cousin i wanted to know what he wanted to say since he couldnt even speak.

though I also want to be a kindergarden teacher which i plan to minor in and a dance instructor. Oh I love to dance from Salsa to waltz its all i can do. my ex and I would swing dance alot and i grew up in a family that had alot of dancing/dancers.

as a child I was always interested in fashion, wether it was casual or haute coture it just made me want to dress in such nice things. probally why i love brands like Betsey Johnson and the like. I am secretly part of the fashion Police and why I consult William sledd before anything

I am currently unemployed =(

OniCourseMusha

My dad working in Mexico.

I want to be a manga artist or game designer.  I enjoy designing characters and telling stories on paper.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

edendreams

My dad's a communication engineer.

Me I work as a Bank teller but my side job's art ^-^ I've already sold paintings and done a bit of commision work

a little art by me ^-^

SOawesomeness

GirlfromIpanema- I just wanted to say Japan. :3 I think it would be pretty kickass in Japan, but I'd probably end up in Korea, living with my auntie and working with her (she tutors kids in her apartment), but since I'm actually from America, I'd get paid quite a bit. ^^ (Or... my mom would open up a tutoring thing... =.= )

Jerry- What kinda dreams do you have?! o.0 Contortionist... o.0
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

PyronIkari

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on March 03, 2008, 06:31:02 PM
GirlfromIpanema- I just wanted to say Japan. :3 I think it would be pretty kickass in Japan, but I'd probably end up in Korea, living with my auntie and working with her (she tutors kids in her apartment), but since I'm actually from America, I'd get paid quite a bit. ^^ (Or... my mom would open up a tutoring thing... =.= )
So you would be tutoring, not teaching. Teachers don't get paid crap, and tutors only get paid well if they have a lot of clients and the credentials to back them up with a client list to match.

Shinsengumi

My father was a truck driver called of bud of california. He use to travil from Salinas CA, to Yuma AZ, transporting fruits and vegetables, he was in army back in the Vietnam era.

I'm planing to become a game designer, I have a couple of ideas on my head for game I want to do.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).