Comedy Club at Fanime: Last Update: 5/16/08

Started by Aya Brea X, March 04, 2008, 06:53:00 PM

Aya Brea X

Updated: May 16, 2008 Confirmed Location and Time! W00t!

We're now officially added as a panel titled Comedy Club at Fanime.  You can find us listed as at the panel information page here

http://www.fanime.com/panels_files/panels.html

Comedy Club at Fanime
Come share an evening of laughs with The Comedy Club at Fanime! Whether it's Anime, Manga, or the intricacies of being an avid fan, nothing is sacred as we poke fun at all that encompasses being an otaku! This panel is recommended for a 16+ audience for language.

Time: Saturday 7PM

We currently have FIVE people signed up, so here's some information for the people signed up to perform at the panel.  I do not plan on accepting routines on site unless something drastic happens.  Sign ups are open again for one or two more slots!  PM me for more info.

Routines should now be 5-7 minutes.  I will not be extending them again if we lose an act.  We'll simply do an improv routine with all the participants if we are short on the individual sets.  To ensure we don't all do a 5 minute performance and have 20 minutes of dead time, please let me know well ahead of time (end of April?) how long your routine will be.  If you don't mind sharing what you'll be talking about, I can also check to make sure we're not ALL going to joke about Super Smash Brothers and beat the same subjects to death.

Please script or outline your performance to check for time.  It really isn't as easy as it looks, the only thing worse than being not funny is awkward silence when you run out of stuff to say.   Please let me know as soon as possible how long your routine will be so I can accommodate longer/shorter ones.  Thanks!

The panel should be appropriate for a 16+ audience.  If you're not sure if something is too racy... leave it out.  Swear words are okay as long as you don't base your entire routine on them. 

I've requested either Saturday or Sunday night sometime between 7 to 11pm. If you're sure you cannot make both of those times, do not sign up (or un-sign up).  If you cannot make one of the nights, let me know so I will be ready if Fanime slots us in a time you cannot attend. 

Towards the con, I will be asking for phone numbers so I can contact you if there's a change in plans.  I will also provide my number in case you cannot make it and don't find out until the con.

Props are okay as long as you are allowed to have said prop on convention hall grounds according to all state/federal laws and convention rules, and will be allowed only if they only require less than 5 minutes to set up before the panel (not after someone else's act, please), will not get in the way of the other participants and audience members and only 2 minutes to clean up *by yourself*  Anything that you damage at the convention center will be all you.  I'll be more than happy to turn you and your contact information over to the convention organizers if you do something stupid on an epic scale :3. 

Any questions, send them to my e-mail at ayabrea at gmail dot com or send me a PM. 

New stuff for 4/30/08

TIME SET (Tentative): We're tentatively set for Saturday 5/24 at 7-8PM.  Unless something happens with someone else's panel, that's the time we're going to have.  Location and time will be reconfirmed once the list is officially green-lighted by Fanime staff. 

Time Request and Confirmation: Everyone who is already signed up please send me the approximate amount of minutes your routine will be.  Do make sure you appropriate some time in there for laughter pause :3  I'm going to try to set it up so no one gets edged out of time, so please, be as accurate as you can.  If you haven't already started writing your stuff, now's the time to do it!  You got a little over three weeks until con! 

I will send out an e-mail to those who have contacted me about signing up to confirm.  If you cannot make Saturday or the 7pm time slot, now is the time to let me know (and we'll miss you ;_;)  If you thought you signed up but did not get an e-mail from me by tomorrow, please PM or e-mail me at ayabrea at gmail dot com to let me know I missed you. 

Still more New Stuff 5/10/08
As expected some participants pulled out due to our tentative Saturday scheduling.  Now we have 5 confirmed, so we can breathe a little easier for time, but I'll still need everyone's estimated time.  I can slot in one or two more acts (otherwise, we fill dead time with improv :3), please PM or e-mail me at ayabrea at gmail dot com for details. 

New Stuff 5/16/08
Our time is confirmed: Saturday 7PM in the San Carlos Room of the Hilton!  Come join us!  We have ramen... (okay, no we don't, we're just trying to lure you into our room.  Mwa ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha--*cough cough, hack*)

shyguy_2357

comedy (especially anime related) i would imagne it would together than some ppl expect...

that plus you have to use mostly mainstream anime if peope were to understand the jokes in the first place....

it does sounds like a worth panel, but maybe something worthwhile to evolve something into more substantial...

clawmaster

yea maybe it can be organized to some degree to have it. i seen other cons have some but what might work there doesnt mean it might work here.

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

Kandybar

It's an interesting idea - I'm not funny, so I wouldn't participate, but I'd probably come watch.  :)

OniCourseMusha

If u guys are planning on doing it, I would love to participate and give it a shot.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Chibblz

I can be funny for about one minute.. But that's it... My jokes die quickly.. O_o;

I wish I could do something about that... *thinks......KABOOM*

G'luck if it works out, though. I'll be in the audience. XP

Glitch

This would be so much fun. I would give it a try. I think I can write up material that would go on for a while. But I can't guarantee that it'll be funny.

havok rt

I down though I'm not sure how much of my routine would be anime related but yeah I totally be down for going up and doing a set. So if you start it up let me know. 8)
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

Aya Brea X

Quote from: shyguy_2357 on March 04, 2008, 09:37:34 PM
comedy (especially anime related) i would imagne it would together than some ppl expect...

that plus you have to use mostly mainstream anime if peope were to understand the jokes in the first place....

it does sounds like a worth panel, but maybe something worthwhile to evolve something into more substantial...

I didn't say it was easy.  It takes work just like with anything else (or plentiful experience and stage presence if you're doing improv.)

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on March 09, 2008, 04:34:12 AM
If u guys are planning on doing it, I would love to participate and give it a shot.

Cool.  Do you think you can work on a 5-10 minute routine?  Please also PM or e-mail me at ayabrea at gmail dot com with your contact information (e-mail, real name, what name you want to get introduced as, and anything else you want used in your introduction.)  Once I get a couple of people lined up and the details organized (depending how many participants, set the length of the panel), submitted, and green stamped, I'll contact everyone. 

Quote from: havok rt on March 12, 2008, 04:21:15 AM
I down though I'm not sure how much of my routine would be anime related but yeah I totally be down for going up and doing a set. So if you start it up let me know. 8)

It should be anime, gaming, or fandom related.  Your average audience member is a 15-22 year old anime fan, so you should go with something they can relate to.  At the AX Last Comic Standing the guy who went after me pretty much based his entire routine on shit talking women and dating and NO ONE got it... or laughed.  The guy who ended up winning compared the similarites of Naruto and Dragon Ball Z, being a fanboy, and (in the improv finals) hentai. 

If we end up having extra time at the end, we can all get up and do some improv based on audience suggestions, too. 

havok rt

well if I can go into gaming and the stupid nerdisms of my life(and hentai for that matter) then I'll totally be able to make an entire set. So count me in.

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

Aya Brea X

Cool, just make sure the Hentai jokes are appropriate for 16+ and we should be fine.  I'm kind of afriad turnout would be low if we make it an 18+ event. 

Can you either PM or e-mail me your info (name, e-mail, name you want to get introduced as, and anything you would like me to introduce you with before your set.) 

I'm getting pretty excited :3  So far that's two confirmed (you and me.)  I just need one more and we can probably make it a half hour panel with 5-10 minute sets.  It would be great to have more people!

This is my first time putting together a panel, so I hope it all works out! 

EDIT: Shoot!  I just checked out the forms for the panels and it seems they have to be at least an hour long.  I need at least four other volunteers with 8-10 minute sets.  So far I have one. 

havok rt

Quote from: Aya Brea X on March 12, 2008, 10:04:51 PM
Cool, just make sure the Hentai jokes are appropriate for 16+ and we should be fine.  I'm kind of afriad turnout would be low if we make it an 18+ event. 

Can you either PM or e-mail me your info (name, e-mail, name you want to get introduced as, and anything you would like me to introduce you with before your set.) 

EDIT: Shoot!  I just checked out the forms for the panels and it seems they have to be at least an hour long.  I need at least four other volunteers with 8-10 minute sets.  So far I have one. 
So I just PM you my info so there you have it...So aim for about 10 minutes eh? well if want some help with set this thing up I'm willing to help. just PM/e-mail me I'm local so.

Glitch

I'm getting pretty excited :3  So far that's two confirmed (you and me.)  I just need one more and we can probably make it a half hour panel with 5-10 minute sets.  It would be great to have more people!

Woh! I didn't think this was actually gonna happen.Count me in. I'll try to do an act as long as possible.*L*
I'll pm my info.

Kava

Let me just make a small correction. Panels do not -have- to be an hour in length. However, we schedule in hour-long time blocks. So on the schedule, you're reserving the panel room for a minimum of an hour. For an actual panel length, 50 minutes is about ideal, because that gives you at least 5 minutes on either side of your panel for set up, audience filing into the room, and again for breakdown with putting away any presentation materials you had, time for your audience to leave the panel room before the next panel starts.

So panels do not need to be exactly one hour in length. The time blocks on the submission form are how long the panel room is reserved for you, and if your panel ends a bit early, that's okay. We'd prefer not to have panels that are less than 40 minutes in length, because we want attendees to get their time's worth, but actual 60 minutes isn't necessary. ^-^

If there's going to be an age requirement - be sure to mention that in your submission form!

-Kava
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Aya Brea X

Thanks for the clarification Kava.  There's three of us so far, and I'm pretty optimistic we can find a 4th or fill 40-45 minutes of comedy overall, so I'll submit the applicaiton this weekend. 

Ideally everyone has a approx 8-10 minute set, so that's 24-30 minutes so far.  If we do not find a 4th, we're going to have to do some kind of "Whose line is it anyway" type improv sketch at the end.  (Well, even if we have a 4th we might be able to squeeze in some time, or if we get 5 then we'll just forgo the sketch)  Is anyone opposed to that?  (I'm assuming if you're willing to stand up there for 10 minutes and be funny, you wouldn't mind doing an improv sketch with others for another 10 XD) 

I'm getting really excited now! Woo hoo!

havok rt

w00t!! This is going to be frickin' awesome! ah, man I got start writing down the ramdom jokes popping in and out of my head. So were going to have a stage and mic and all that good stuff?

Aya Brea X

I don't know if we're going to have a stage, that kind of depends on what kind of room we'll get, but of course I'll request mics so we don't have to shout.  :)

Glitch

I'm getting kind of nervous just thinking about this.This is gonna be cool.

Shinsengumi

I'll check it out if this happens.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Chun

Oh sweet. A place for me to make fun of every aspect of otaku culture, and share real life situations!

If it's up, I'll do a routine as a maybe, I can't go on for 8 minutes though (And I'm not sure I'll have my act together). My style is mostly improv.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)