Comedy Club at Fanime: Last Update: 5/16/08

Started by Aya Brea X, March 04, 2008, 06:53:00 PM

Aya Brea X

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on May 09, 2008, 10:12:02 PM
I'm a bit confused here?

I heard from G-man said that there's also a Comedy Club on sunday as well?  I think i read the info carefully but i'm bit confused after hearing this?  Just like to get it confirmed

The official schedule has not been released, but the first and latest draft sent to me indicates we're on Saturday at 7pm.  I mention Sunday only because it was the alternate choice I submitted for our time block when I signed up for our panel and the schedule is not 100% finalized by the Fanime staff at this time.

Kava

I know the schedule isn't up on the website yet - but it should be going up in the next few days. Panel time has not changed.
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Glitch

This is gonna be fun. I'd thought it would be hilarious to hand out objects(like candy or hello kitty erasers) the audience could hurl at me during certain jokes, but I know how that can get out of hand. XD
I need to wade through my jokes to see which ones are the funniest, and buy my props.(signs that will poke fun at cosplaying). I will pm the subject matter and avoiding repetiveness to you Aya.

Aya Brea X

Quote from: Glitch on May 13, 2008, 09:27:48 AM
This is gonna be fun. I'd thought it would be hilarious to hand out objects(like candy or hello kitty erasers) the audience could hurl at me during certain jokes, but I know how that can get out of hand. XD
I need to wade through my jokes to see which ones are the funniest, and buy my props.(signs that will poke fun at cosplaying). I will pm the subject matter and avoiding repetiveness to you Aya.

You can give out stuff, but I don't think you should have people hurl things back at you.  It might hit someone else or break something.  I know I don't need to get wacked by a Hello Kitty eraser XD

So far no one has actually e-mailed me specific subjects they'll be talking about.  I'm pretty confidant now that everyone will do their own subjects their own style, so I'm not as worried about crossover topics.  Though if you have your approximate time down, please let me know. 

havok rt

well I'm still down Just give me a bit to send you an e-mail with all the info you need.
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

Glitch

Quote from: Aya Brea X on May 13, 2008, 03:43:22 PM
Quote from: Glitch on May 13, 2008, 09:27:48 AM

You can give out stuff, but I don't think you should have people hurl things back at you.  It might hit someone else or break something.  I know I don't need to get wacked by a Hello Kitty eraser XD
Yeah. I know it's already hard enough to control audiences at fanime.
Also,I PMed you some of the details of my act.

Kava

Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Aya Brea X

Our date and time are now confirmed!

San Carlos Room in the Hilton
Saturday at 7PM!

Participants: If you haven't sent me your (approximate) time and intro, please do it soon, or I'll be forced to make up fictional facts about you.  :3

Glitch

I'm tingling with excitement. ^^ I'm ready to dive in right now.

G-Force

I had a lot of fun at the comedy club and I hope we can do something like this next year. I saw a few cameras in the audience maybe someone can upload their footage.

Glitch

The panel was lots of lolz. I would like to thank my fellow comedians for putting on a great show. And a big thanks for Aya for setting this up. I seriously did not expect people to show up. We won the internets. ^^

Aya Brea X

Thanks to the participants!  It takes real cajones to get up there to do a set!  Thanks to the audience members, too, for coming to the panel and having a good sense of humor :3  It was really great seeing the room packed (even if it was a very very chibi room) and that you all seemed to have a good time (or are very excellent actors.)  Sorry we started 10 minutes late plus the feed back issues with the non-turn-offable microphones. ^_^;;;; 

I'm hoping to do this again next year!  Hopefully we got decent feedback from the surveys that they'll consider giving us a bigger room, though we do not mind the timeslot against Masquerade because we're just rebels like that XD  I'll put up a new thread for 2008 some time at the end of this year. 

G-Force

Quote from: Aya Brea X on May 27, 2008, 01:19:17 PM
Thanks to the participants!  It takes real cajones to get up there to do a set!  Thanks to the audience members, too, for coming to the panel and having a good sense of humor :3  It was really great seeing the room packed (even if it was a very very chibi room) and that you all seemed to have a good time (or are very excellent actors.)  Sorry we started 10 minutes late plus the feed back issues with the non-turn-offable microphones. ^_^;;;; 

I'm hoping to do this again next year!  Hopefully we got decent feedback from the surveys that they'll consider giving us a bigger room, though we do not mind the timeslot against Masquerade because we're just rebels like that XD  I'll put up a new thread for 2008 some time at the end of this year. 

I really think being paired up against the Masquerade actually helps us off as then we can really rip the activity to shreds and its full potency can be felt in the audience. When it comes to doing this club again next year let me just say that I will be happy to take the stage once more. My only major critique (aside from microphones) was how that one audience member in the front row felt the need to CONSTANTLY interrupt. A few snide comments here and there are cool but when the guy was saying something after ever sentence I was really getting annoyed. Really I was scared that he would cause a lot of people to leave and I literally told the guy to shut the hell up when I went on stage, ok I wasn't that rude but you know what I mean.

Well with that said keep me posted for next year.

JohnnyAR

OniCourseMusha

Man it sounded like really fun from what I heard from my friend Glitch here.  Srsly though as long it doesn't interefere wit Masquerade, I'll defininately gonna prepare a routine next year.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Glitch

Quote from: Aya Brea X on May 27, 2008, 01:19:17 PM

It may have been a chibi room, but it was packed. If the event continues, we'll have a room the size of the main video room.(I can dream, can't I? ^^)
I felt bad for concentrating on memorizing my jokes and not having my full attention on the jokes told by you guys. This caused me to later rememer some of the jokes on the ride back home and started laughing. A spirit ball doing nothing,giant robots in the military and being able to survive without food due to chinese genes got to me later.XD  I enjoyed discusson comedic styles with you guys started and enjoyed hearing people say we were funny. But don't let it get to our heads. We'll get too cocky. ^^;

Quote from: G-Force on May 27, 2008, 05:26:53 PM
I really think being paired up against the Masquerade actually helps us off as then we can really rip the activity to shreds and its full potency can be felt in the audience. When it comes to doing this club again next year let me just say that I will be happy to take the stage once more. My only major critique (aside from microphones) was how that one audience member in the front row felt the need to CONSTANTLY interrupt. A few snide comments here and there are cool but when the guy was saying something after ever sentence I was really getting annoyed. Really I was scared that he would cause a lot of people to leave and I literally told the guy to shut the hell up when I went on stage, ok I wasn't that rude but you know what I mean.

Well with that said keep me posted for next year.
Wasn't the guy who interuppted one of us comedians? The one who didin't perform. Or was that just my ears screwing up? Either way,yes, very annoying.

radpaolo.

Quote from: G-Force on May 27, 2008, 05:26:53 PM
My only major critique (aside from microphones) was how that one audience member in the front row felt the need to CONSTANTLY interrupt. A few snide comments here and there are cool but when the guy was saying something after ever sentence I was really getting annoyed. Really I was scared that he would cause a lot of people to leave and I literally told the guy to shut the hell up when I went on stage, ok I wasn't that rude but you know what I mean.

are you talking about the guy in the blue cosplay with the cousin it emo hair, which literally covered his whole face, cobra commander style who was off to the side of the comedians? if not, carry on.

also, i would like to thank joyce for having this at fanime, this is easily one of my favorite things i have ever done at any fanime. speaking of which. it's paolo, the 2nd comic up. this was my first time doing stand up as i said, and this was an extremely great experience, and i'm glad at the reception i got. i am also surprised at how much i was able to talk about anime for. lastly, for memories, my job was rad enough to host my entire set on our site.

this definitely was a catalyst for something.
Sambrano's suicide attempt was obviously unsuccessful. - KXAN Austin, TX (3/15/10)

Paolo Sambrano(dotcom)

JohnnyAR

did anyone record it on video? I missed it  :'(

Glitch

Quote from: JohnnyAR on May 28, 2008, 02:20:47 PM
did anyone record it on video? I missed it  :'(
I hope there's some more video too. Paolo did a great job, but I wouldn't mind seeing my set again. ^^
Didn't somebody also take a group pic at the end of it?

Aya Brea X

Some photos!

That's the line to get INTO the panel.

The audience.

Regarding the other guy in the front row who didn't perform.  He IM'ed me three days before con asking to be in the performance (a message I did not get until after the con).  He talked to me before the panel asking to be in it with a non-anime related set and I told him we were pressed for time and that since I made everyone else stick with the anime/gaming/fandom topics that his set would not really fit.  He sort of trailed in and sat down with the other performers like I was going to put him up if I had more time.  I thought I made it crystal clear to him before I went into the room I was not putting him up, but I guess he just didn't get it.

I just want to stress I *did not* cut out anyone whom I confirmed to be in the performance.  Sadly my set went severely overtime due to his interruptions (I timed 10 minutes, ended up with 15 minutes).  Thankfully we plotted extra time since Fanime staffers told me to only plan 45 minutes of content for an hour panel.  I'd welcome an audience exchange if it was in moderation, but that gentleman in particular was sort of getting rude.  I guess the panel after ours would have been more appropriate for him since it required 100% audience participation. 

Also, I'm sorry the guy from the next panel just walked up behind the tables during someone's set.  I will be more severe next time.  Pimping his panel should not cut into our panel's content like that.