Parking???

Started by Junpei, March 05, 2008, 08:46:23 PM

Junpei

Try as I might, I honestly can't find any useful information about parking at or around the convention center. I'm wondering where there is to park for several days (valet or whatever!), and how much the cost is if I'm not staying at any of the hotels. Anyone know?

Moonblossom

Maybe this will have some useful info? I honestly didn't look through it, but I'm exhausted and going to bed >< Good luck!

http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/

IamTetsuo

If you are staying at any of the hotels they all have Valet parking (well I know the Marriot, Hilton, and St. Clair do.  Fairly certain that the other hotels do too.)

KyraEnsui

There's parking garage right smack in Convention Center and they charge $10 from Friday to Monday during Fanime from what I remember last year. Only problem you'll have is when the parking are always full and you'll lose them if you even try to leave. So, get there early like Friday morning. They will charge regular if you go on Thursday. ^^ That's what I learned from last year.

Gwydion

I suggest the Convention Center's parking too. I always park there on Friday and not move my car til Monday. As all the food places are within a couple blocks there's no real need to drive anywhere but to there and to home. $10 a day is far cheaper than the price at any of the hotels and there might have been some discount even then, 'cause I don't think I spent $40 bucks on the parking ticket last year...

FanFicGuru

I remember they had $10/day at the convention center...but no in/out privileges. Every time you leave you pay 10 dollars. Therefore, if you're coming every day...that's 80 bucks.

It's expensive. lol
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Ari

Parking garage across the street from the mcdonalds its free... either on weekends or just on sundays... Not sure but they are reasonably priced for the small price of walking two blocks to the convention center

Kandybar

Yeah, I park at the garage by the McDonalds - it tends to not fill up that quickly (we got to the Con around 10 or 11 on Saturday and it wasn't an issue) and you're still really close to the Convention Center.

Junpei

Quote from: Kandybar on March 11, 2008, 11:53:28 AM
Yeah, I park at the garage by the McDonalds - it tends to not fill up that quickly (we got to the Con around 10 or 11 on Saturday and it wasn't an issue) and you're still really close to the Convention Center.

That sounds like it could work. Where is that exactly though?

What I'll probably be doing is parking early Saturday (or if I could make Friday, it would be late in the evening) and leaving Monday. I won't need access to the car at all. I just want it to be safe.

otakuya

That's the garage on 3rd and San Carlos streets, where the McDonalds is. You can also try the Pavilion parking on 2nd and San Fernando sts.

Nyxyin

Quote from: Ari on March 07, 2008, 03:36:59 PMParking garage across the street from the mcdonalds its free... either on weekends or just on sundays...
It used to be that there were some lots that were free after 6pm on Thursday and Friday and all day on the weekends.  So, it used to be that we can get free parking if we pick up our badges on Thursday pre-reg and go to the convention after 6pm on Friday.  That has changed this year.  Downtown San Jose has instituted late night parking fees.  After 6pm, parking costs $2.  It's very cheap still, but not free.  Also, weekends used to be all free, but no longer.  If you stay past 6pm (and any anime fan should want to stay past 6pm), parking will cost $2 in the lots that were previously free.

http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/free_parking.php
http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/late_night_parking.php

For those who want to stay most of the day on Friday, it might be worth parking at the Cal Train station at Santa Clara & Montgomery Street (San Jose Diridon Station) for $1.50, and then hopping the light rail (902) to the convention center for $1.75 in each direction.  I think the walk from the parking lot is only about a mile, but I don't think the path is very pedestrian friendly, and the light rail stops right in front of the convention center (Convention Center Station).  I believe the light rail runs every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes at night.

Steve.Young

I used my SJSU Parking permit and parked in 7th street garage. It so works =). I recommend it for SJSU people.

Another thing, the one on San Carlos next to MCDonald's is pretty awesome, its a fairly large garage so it doesn't fill up easily.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Squeeky_Moonkin

I just called Hilton san jose. Their parking for their guests is 18 a day with in and out privileges. those who do not have a car and are coming form the airport, there are no shuttle services.

Moonblossom

Regarding the lack of shuttles, the taxi ride from the airport to the front door of the Hilton last year was $11, which is pretty reasonable, especially if you're travelling with several people.

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: Moonblossom on March 28, 2008, 01:50:20 PM
Regarding the lack of shuttles, the taxi ride from the airport to the front door of the Hilton last year was $11, which is pretty reasonable, especially if you're travelling with several people.

nope its just me. My party is willing to pick me up though. Will probably have to take a cab back though. I'm just not fond of cabs after my first cabbie in Orlando Florida. thought I was gonna die X_X

Moonblossom

The cabbies I had last year were very polite, drove reasonably safely, and were courteous and not creepy. I can't remember the cab company though, unfortunately.

The cabbies in Anaheim/LA when I used to go AX though.. omg... never again  :o

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: Moonblossom on March 28, 2008, 07:36:47 PM
The cabbies I had last year were very polite, drove reasonably safely, and were courteous and not creepy. I can't remember the cab company though, unfortunately.

The cabbies in Anaheim/LA when I used to go AX though.. omg... never again  :o

well the cabbie i had in florida while going to Disney world was wack. Doing almost 95 and jamming to jamacian steel drum music. no turn signal and weaving in and out of traffic @_@

SirVincent

ok some ppl are saying that parking is "$10/day at the convention center...but no in/out privileges" so if it just put my car in on Friday and pick it up on Monday is it going to be $10(i hope) or $40?
Some times you have to get away for it all and other times you must get back to it all.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: SirVincent on April 03, 2008, 04:53:21 AM
ok some ppl are saying that parking is "$10/day at the convention center...but no in/out privileges" so if it just put my car in on Friday and pick it up on Monday is it going to be $10(i hope) or $40?

I think it will be $40 for the whole weekend. If you take your car out, you'll have to pay the $10 for that day again. So just park it there and leave it.

Nyxyin