Parking???

Started by Junpei, March 05, 2008, 08:46:23 PM

phoenixphire24

KyraEnsui

=/ I'll park at the Hilton instead. I like my In/Out privileges.

heeroyuy135

I have a question, related to parking with the hotel.
I'm saying at the Marriot this year, and it says that I get half off Vallet parking for the con. Vallet parking usually is $25, so it would be $12.50.
My question is: do I pay $25 and then they take half off when I check out, or do I pay $12.50 straight off?

zoupzuop2

Quote from: Nyxyin on March 19, 2008, 04:33:32 AM
Quote from: Ari on March 07, 2008, 03:36:59 PMParking garage across the street from the mcdonalds its free... either on weekends or just on sundays...
It used to be that there were some lots that were free after 6pm on Thursday and Friday and all day on the weekends.  So, it used to be that we can get free parking if we pick up our badges on Thursday pre-reg and go to the convention after 6pm on Friday.  That has changed this year.  Downtown San Jose has instituted late night parking fees.  After 6pm, parking costs $2.  It's very cheap still, but not free.  Also, weekends used to be all free, but no longer.  If you stay past 6pm (and any anime fan should want to stay past 6pm), parking will cost $2 in the lots that were previously free.

http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/free_parking.php
http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/late_night_parking.php

For those who want to stay most of the day on Friday, it might be worth parking at the Cal Train station at Santa Clara & Montgomery Street (San Jose Diridon Station) for $1.50, and then hopping the light rail (902) to the convention center for $1.75 in each direction.  I think the walk from the parking lot is only about a mile, but I don't think the path is very pedestrian friendly, and the light rail stops right in front of the convention center (Convention Center Station).  I believe the light rail runs every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes at night.

Actually, I used to walk that path every time I'd even set foot in SJ (not often, but Fanime stuff counts, right?), there's a few path choices that are a drop more pedestrian-friendly than others; walking through Adobe's quite an experience for someone that likes... walking. 0_o

And, yes, the bus station is a GREAT place to park. :3
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Yukari Kaiba

i have a question about parking at the hilton.
is the $18.00 for self parking the flat rate for your entire stay? sorry if it sounds kinda like a stupid question (last year i wasn't the one driving so i didn't know anything about the parking), but i just want to make sure i set aside enough money for parking.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

KyraEnsui

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on May 06, 2008, 11:49:53 PM
is the $18.00 for self parking the flat rate for your entire stay? sorry if it sounds kinda like a stupid question (last year i wasn't the one driving so i didn't know anything about the parking), but i just want to make sure i set aside enough money for parking.
It's per day. ^^b So, the rate parking x the days you're staying/parking = how much you would pay for parking.

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: KyraEnsui on May 07, 2008, 02:00:47 PM
It's per day. ^^b So, the rate parking x the days you're staying/parking = how much you would pay for parking.

gah its per day? D: even for hotel guests?
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

blancoisma

I'm going to be staying at the Fairmont this year. I heard a couple months ago that the parking there is insanely expensive. Normally I wouldn't care about parking because ever since my first Fanime, I just get dropped off and then picked up on Monday.

However, this year my roomies are driving in and I'm pretty sure they're not getting dropped off like me. So, if anyone knows exactly how much the parking is there, I would appreciate knowing so I can inform them about it.
"Well, I'm already going to hell for kissing you so I may as well take the scenic route."

-Aaron Davis, Latter Days

Moonblossom

Taken from the Fact Sheet on their website

QuoteParking

The parking garage is located underneath the hotel and is valet only
Valet parking (for overnight guests) is on a space available basis and is $26 per night including in-and-out privileges
Valet parking (for visitors) is on a space available basis:
First 30 minutes: $5
Every additional 20 minutes: $1.50
Maximum rate for the day: $26
Overflow garages are located throughout the downtown area with close proximity to the Hotel.

blancoisma

Thanks Moonblossom

*sigh* Damn it, I was hoping in the back of my mind that it wouldn't be that horribly expensive. Oh well, I'll pass on the information to my roomies. Thanks again.
"Well, I'm already going to hell for kissing you so I may as well take the scenic route."

-Aaron Davis, Latter Days

KyraEnsui

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on May 07, 2008, 09:35:52 PM
Quote from: KyraEnsui on May 07, 2008, 02:00:47 PM

gah its per day? D: even for hotel guests?

Yup. Anyone who uses their parking garage are subject to pay.

billgoku

Good to hear about the parking, I was really curious about it, no biggie at how much it costs.
Fanime 10 2 weeks away...
Member of Bleach Gathering 2009
Cosplays plans in 10: Ichigo , few possibles...
: Onizuka (GTO) (Yes, this year I will do him no matter what.)

nabechu

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Crowne Plaza has In/Out privileges.

BenihimeSama

Nabechu: Crowne Plaza does have in and out.

Also, everyone check with your hotels, many hotels have half-off prices for Fanime visitors. If you booked through Fanime, you will get whatever discount they are talking about. I called the Crowne Plaza, and they said that it's half off for those who booked through the Fanime website. (I'm the driver, my friends booked however.)
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008
Panels Staff Member since 2010
Proud member of Rena's Rangers! 

Owner of The Geeky Manifestos Blog
Just admit it: Otakus just do it better.

Mango Bunny

Are there any cheaper garages or lots that might be farther away but still cheaper overall with an added in cab ride? I really don't know the area, so... Just an idea.

KyraEnsui

Quote from: Mango Bunny on May 14, 2008, 01:30:57 PM
Are there any cheaper garages or lots that might be farther away but still cheaper overall with an added in cab ride? I really don't know the area, so... Just an idea.

I do believe it was mention a few posts back on the first page.

Mango Bunny

Quote from: KyraEnsui on May 14, 2008, 02:36:45 PM
Quote from: Mango Bunny on May 14, 2008, 01:30:57 PM

I do believe it was mention a few posts back on the first page.

i saw someone mention taking a cab from the airport, but I mean...lots farther away but cheaper, or at least enough so that if you added in the cab ride it would still be less. If I somehow missed it, I would appreciate further direction. A quote perhaps.

jeans

You could always park in a free park n ride lot along the lightrail line and ride the lightrail in to the area, or if you park at the Diridon station ($2) you can take the free DASH bus downtown:
"Downtown Light Rail Shuttle Also known as the DASH, for the Downtown Area Shuttle, this service circulates on a fixed-route through downtown San Jose and connects with downtown Light Rail Stations as well as the San Jose Diridon Caltrain Station. You can use the shuttle to make direct connections from Light Rail or Caltrain with employment sites such as Adobe Systems, PG&E, Wells Fargo, Comerica Bank, downtown hotels, and many other businesses. You may also make connections with San Jose State University and other bus routes, and transfer from Caltrain to Light Rail and vice versa. "

http://www.vta.org/schedules/SC_201.html for the map

Best of all... DASH is free and parking at Diridon station is only $2 per day. You can park at the garage on San Carlos & 3rd street on the weekend for $2/night on the weekends and holidays, so you might want to move your car on Saturday morning if you want it to be closer to you.

Junpei

So, as a last minute recap of this information, what garages can I stay parked at for 2-3 days for (that are not going to be 100% full, say, on Saturday morning)? There's the SJ Convention Center lot, Second & San Carlos Street Garage (this is the "McDonalds" lot that was mentioned?), what else? Can I use the parking at any of the hotels without being a guest?

JTchinoy

You can park your cars on 12th street for the whole weekend after 4pm on friday.

the catch is you have to walk 12 blocks to the convention center. :)

i'm dropping my car there (like i do every weekend) after i drop my stuff off at the hilton.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X