Help please~ Cirno's Ice Wings

Started by Jun-Watarase, March 09, 2008, 12:23:03 PM

Jun-Watarase

Greetings,

Full body-shot: http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee298/shoegazer_tokyo/091464e5f5cf8a636f039b5f1555752e.jpg
Previously done cosplay of Cirno: http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee298/shoegazer_tokyo/24875d1d016f3945ed8339b254e21576.jpg

I'm planning on cosplaying Cirno for a con in two months-- problem is, I have no idea how to make her ice wings. They're angular, 3-dimensional, and translucent-- however, if I have to resort to it, I don't need to make them translucent, or even 3-dimensional. If I have to, I might make ones similar to the ones in that cosplay photo, but I would rather have them solid and resembling ice. I've also been baffled as to how to make an adequate harness to wear them, as "backpack-styled straps" would slide and be troublesome-- but I would also want them to be as inconspicuous as possible as I don't want them showing up on the cosplay. Velcro seems to be a good option so far, but as for construction, I have no idea.

My only good suggestion so far given to me by a friend, was to make the icicle shapes out of reinforced honeycomb-type cardboard, painting over them with a light blue paint and self-painted white highlights, then with a gloss of either acrylic paint or a mod-podge finish.

So, if you're up for any suggestions, I'll gladly consider them and appreciate it. Thanks, in advance.

x-posted on cosplay.com forums

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

DuskDemona

Well i'm not sure how you could connect them to your cosplay outfit, but for the wings you could try some sort of light/see-thru plastic.

Jun-Watarase

Yeah, plastic seems to be the obvious choice as of yet. I'm curious as to what type of plastic, the method of crafting it, and whatnot. So far, people on /cgl/ have given pretty good suggestions for the harness... but as for what kind of plastic, I'm still unsure.

A thin acrylic seems to be a good bet, but I have to find a lighter alternative so I can wear it around the con comfortably, and without stabbing anyone in the eye with the sharp points. Frosting it with Con-Tact paper so far looks good, but I still have to figure what kind of plastic to craft it with, and how to cut it into the right shapes.

The harness I've been contemplating is called the "plate method", where I have a small metal plate strapped onto my back and screw on some small pvc pipes to attach them to. Then, just slip the wing attachments through some slits of the cosplay and into the harness, and it should be relatively snug and comfortable to wear.

Material is the main issue, and weight and dexterity is a concern.

Thanks for the help so far, though.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Jun-Watarase

Awesome help from /cgl/, so if anyone has the same problem with working with plastic, here's some information before the thread goes away.

http://orz.4chan.org/cgl/res/799517.html

FanimaidCafe.com

BrightHeart76

I'm not sure if it's different then what they're suggesting, but Jo-Ann's fabric usually keeps clear plastic vinyl in their apholstry department.  I use this for the windows at work when I decorate them.  If you get thin enough sheets they're not too heavy.  The reason I like this material is because I can cut it with plain old scissors and I don't have any problems.  If you could connect it to a wire structure it might just work...I've never tried sewing it so I'm not sure the best method to use for that.

A lot of times my local Jo-Ann's has the vinyl with colors, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have frosted vinyl...I've seen it with glitter before too.

Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.