Young Boy Dies Imitating Naruto

Started by Eurobeat King, March 10, 2008, 08:06:51 PM

Eurobeat King

(not sure if such a thread was made already or not, sorry if it was)

I saw a thread on the SakuraCon website forums about this tragedy that happened today, about a boy who died because his friends buried him in the sand, copying the Sand Ninjas in Naruto  You can watch the news clip here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wTeiIOeBk9g

The clip shown said he was in critical-condition, but he later died.  Here's the news-report:

http://www.komotv.com/news/16479676.html

It's a tragedy, but now it's another case where anime is blamed because of kids trying to imitate what they see on tv.. *sigh*
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

BrightHeart76

Oh My God!  I feel bad for the kids family..but seriously.  Don't blame the show because the kid was doing something stupid!  People have been burying their loved ones in the sand for DECADES at the beach...now it's because of Naruto that it's become lethal.

Like I said, I feel bad for the family.  No one should lose a child.  However, I don't think Naruto has anything to do with it.  Gotta love the media.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Kazuko

well Naruto is the cause if you think about it, when the show jackass came on tv loads of kids tried to copy it and either got hurt or killed.

Its so sad really
kids are easily prone to belive things on tv sometimes and think oh hey its cool and try to do it too

OniCourseMusha

very shocking news.

Had this feeling that kids might do something crazy things after watching anime just like violent and crazy shows.  I would teach my kids NEVER imitate things on TV.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

SoraTora

I remember seeing this on the news this morning...

I thought that he was going to be alright.... I can't believe the boy died....

The poor family...
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the songs of angry men?
It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again
When the beating of your heart, echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!

rubymoonIII

its sad when kids do things like that i feel sorry for the family too
think of this too parents are going to want Naruto off the air because of it :-[
remember what happened at V-tech the guy had imitated "old boy" and after they stopped shelving that movie so it was near impossible to find
well what im saying its not the shows or the Tvs fault  its just another way for parents to blame something for thier bad parenting
@Digitalberii <--Twitter

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

My condolences goes to the family.  Such a tragic loss indeed.

Honestly, a lot of families and guardians need to assist their kids the differences between fantasy and reality.  It is true that kids will grow up absorbing knowledge of what they have access to.  However, that does not mean we shouldn't be preemptive to the potential cause like this one.  Blaming shows or any form of media will only limit the choices of what producers can release to the public.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

KawaiiAngel

Oh my god.
That's horrible :(

This makes me think of how the rate of car accidents went up after that one racing movie came out in america a couple years ago...need for speed?...Damn my poor memory...x(

Or that other time a kid drowned looking for spongebob's pineapple house in the ocean

Poor kid

redroses3164

It's suck a tragic event... poor child.

But I do question, where was the adult supervision as the kids were playing? Trying not to sound offensive, but if there was some kind of parent or guardian to watch over the kids, then this probably wouldn't happen.

I really do hope they don't blame the show (which will most likely happen regardless). This is hard to word without sounding mean (blame the internet and how a person can misinterpret a post) but the parents or whomever was supposed to be watching the kids playing is at fault. They should know that you can't blame a show for your child's lack of knowledge/common sense. As stated by someone earlier, they soak up everything they see/watch/whatever so if ya don't teach your kids the difference between something fictional versus the real world, then stuff like this happens. They're supposed to teach them that you shouldn't copy everything you see because things don't happen exactly like on tv/movies.

I really hope the family is are doing well though. My condolences to them and that they may get through this loss.

Ska_Kitti

Yeah, this goes back to the media finding a blame... and sadly it's Naruto. Although I don't watch it, I do sympathize for the anime industry because the parents who blame them don't have the common sense to watch their children.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Kazuko on March 10, 2008, 08:17:48 PM
well Naruto is the cause if you think about it, when the show jackass came on tv loads of kids tried to copy it and either got hurt or killed.

Its so sad really
kids are easily prone to belive things on tv sometimes and think oh hey its cool and try to do it too

This is just... horrible. My condolences.

But no, the show isn't really to blame. With that mentality, that's why people are trying to shelter children from media that most of us and the people before us had grown up with-- also, how Jack Thompson is strongly against violent videogames because he feels that violence and poor behavior are influenced by it. As for Jackass, there's a warning that tells people that they're professionals and that things shown within it shouldn't be imitated.

See, people would assume that the children wouldn't know any better because they're children, but if you look back to how most people were in 5th grade, they would know that burying people in sand probably isn't a good idea. The parents had the responsibility to teach their kids what's right and what's wrong, along with being able to supervise them to know that they won't do anything dangerous.

So what it comes down to is... watch your damn kids.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

DemonLordZabuza

I know that this post will make a lot of people dislike me, but in all truth and reality I dont really care.

What an idiot.  The kids, and the parents.  I've said it once and I will say it again, some people should not be allowed to have children.  Its not the shows fault at all, and I dont feel bad for the family.  Just the same that I dont feel bad when someone at schooled died for beind drunk on the weekend and getting in an accident.  Stupid decisions.

My thoughts, parents should have thought the kids whats right and whats wrong.  All of them.

In the end less stupid people around :D

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on March 10, 2008, 10:32:52 PM
I know that this post will make a lot of people dislike me, but in all truth and reality I dont really care.

You basically said what everyone else had said, and came down with the same conclusion. Kids do stupid things, and their parents should've known better as to supervise them. If they had, it probably wouldn't have ended the way it did.

But as for saying that they shouldn't have children? Man, that makes you calling other people stupid pretty darn ironic.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

SyntaxSnack

I like how they pronounce it.  Like "nahroodo".

hehe

LastElixir

Kegan_Flame

You would think people would learn by now.. THAT'S the real tragedy.. they they KNOW their kids are going to imitate these things and they don't do something about it.. i seconds DLZ.. some people should NOT have children x_X

Shinsengumi

WOW  :o

After hearing this, I know in the back of my mind kids love to poll off things from watching TV. that's just terrible. I feel bad about the kid's parents
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Kegan_Flame on March 11, 2008, 12:27:01 AM
You would think people would learn by now.. THAT'S the real tragedy.. they they KNOW their kids are going to imitate these things and they don't do something about it.. i seconds DLZ.. some people should NOT have children x_X

It is really tragic, and it does come down to "the parents should've done a better job of supervising their children", but at the same time, it shouldn't be said that they shouldn't have them just because this had happened. If it was blatantly obvious that they shouldn't have children like, if they didn't want children or if they were incapable of providing a good home for them, which these people could, then I'd understand.

It's tough being a parent, and the parents aren't capable of supervising their children 24/7, and hope that they're mature enough to play on their own, especially in their own backyard. You can't expect them to watch them all the time, they can't follow them to school, or be with them every minute-- had they been there at the right time while supervising them, they could've prevented it. Kids just like doing stupid things, and while they should know better, it isn't really their fault, either.

The kids probably wouldn't tried burying him, anyway. The parents, if they were there, would either stop them, or unbury him as soon as possible. It's easy to put the blame on someone, and they probably already feel terrible about it and think it's their fault. It's not an act of stupidity, rather irresponsibility and really bad timing.

FanimaidCafe.com

DemonLordZabuza

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on March 11, 2008, 01:45:05 AM
Quote from: Kegan_Flame on March 11, 2008, 12:27:01 AM

It is really tragic, and it does come down to "the parents should've done a better job of supervising their children", but at the same time, it shouldn't be said that they shouldn't have them just because this had happened. If it was blatantly obvious that they shouldn't have children like, if they didn't want children or if they were incapable of providing a good home for them, which these people could, then I'd understand.

It's tough being a parent, and the parents aren't capable of supervising their children 24/7, and hope that they're mature enough to play on their own, especially in their own backyard. You can't expect them to watch them all the time, they can't follow them to school, or be with them every minute-- had they been there at the right time while supervising them, they could've prevented it. Kids just like doing stupid things, and while they should know better, it isn't really their fault, either.

The kids probably wouldn't tried burying him, anyway. The parents, if they were there, would either stop them, or unbury him as soon as possible. It's easy to put the blame on someone, and they probably already feel terrible about it and think it's their fault. It's not an act of stupidity, rather irresponsibility and really bad timing.

Its not about parents being there all the time for their kids.  Is teaching the kids right from wrong.  If they havent, then either themselves or someone who has some with commen sense watch them, in all truth and reality I dont care how old the kid is.  Just because they've reached an age doesnt mean they know what is right.  An example is why you hear every year from people going to prom and dying because they were drunk driving.  If the parents dont have the time to teach the kids nor have someone who can, then yes they shouldnt have kids.  Reason because they dont have time to teach them values, morals, and all the good stuff that people should know, otherwise you bring idiots into the world and we all know we need less of them :D

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me