Swap Meet 2008

Started by Eurobeat King, March 12, 2008, 11:20:41 AM

Eurobeat King

Hey everyone,

Once again this year I'll be participating in the Swap Meet at Fanime, and here's the info for it from the Fanime website:

http://www.fanime.com/events/swap-meet

(I wonder when the registration for Friday's spaces will open..)

I'll probably be participating for both nights, and even though I don't have much to sell (since at Fanime 2007 and Yaoicon 2007 I sold a lot) I still have some items.  Here's a little list:

Super Eurobeat CD's
Anime CD's (older titles, no newer stuff like Naruto or Bleach)
Anime DVD's & VHS (older titles too)
Hentai Artbooks
Hentai Magazines
Anime Posters & Calendars

And, I rumaged through my old house, and found a lot of my Dungeons & Dragons books, monster-manuals, & exapansion sets which are still in good-condition.  I also have some complete box-sets for Battletech, Car Wars, & Gamma World  So if anybody is interested in buying some classic old-school role-playing dice games, look for my section.   :)

Anybody else participating in the swap meet this year?
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Black Kawaii Kitty

I'll be selling some stuff again this year with some friends Thursday night since I'll still be living at SJSU and won't have to worry about bringing all that crap up in a car with costumes. Probably be getting rid of some more manga,anime, yaoi doujins, and plushies, etc. Last year my friend bought someone's used KH keyblade that they made, is that allowed? if so I'd like to sell my FF13 gunblades there, but if not I'll do it at my joint table at the artists colony =3 Most likely will debut my Deunan Knute cosplay for this since my other costumes would be a pain to sit down in for long periods of time  :-[

Squeeky_Moonkin

Im debating on participating in the swap meet. If I do I would like to lighten the load I bring with me since I am flying in for the convention. So heres a link of just some of he stuff i have up for sale.

http://community.livejournal.com/garagesalejapan/7318038.html?thread=34327062

If you cant wait till the swap meet or would really like to help me lighten my load before the con rolls around, then please message me about what items you are interested in. The prices i have listed up on my link, can be negotiable ^_^. please help me out

redroses3164

"The age of the seller must be at least 18 years old and all sellers must sign an agreement to these rules. "

Dangit. I'm almost there... (turns 18 in June). Gyah guess I won't participate this year like I planned. I'll still go and hopefully find deals though. =)

*coughunlesssomeonewantstosplititwithmeandsellmystuffcough*

crowchylde

I'm hoping to be attending & selling at the swap meet for the 1st time.
Here's a link to some of the stuff I'm planning to bring.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h295/CrowChylde/Toys/FanimeSale/?start=all

Also my GF works at a used book store & has collected mountains of Manga
over the centuries & I'm sure she will be looking to lighten the load a wee bit.
Any questions or words of advice for a 1st time seller please reply back.

Thanks
It's like I was an insect that dreampt he was a man & loved it. But now the insect is awake & the Dream is over

Keys

Here are a few tips for sellers:
- Bring cash, you're going to need to make change
- If you have bags to recycle, it never hurts to bring them to put people's purchases in.
- Come both days!  Remember, Friday swap meet requires pre-registration, Thursday does not.
- There are no tables at swap meet.  However, many people use the boxes they carry stuff with for make-shift display/organization.  Some people bring sheets to put on the floor.

kuroi

Quote from: redroses3164 on March 14, 2008, 10:02:58 PM
"The age of the seller must be at least 18 years old and all sellers must sign an agreement to these rules. "

Dangit. I'm almost there... (turns 18 in June). Gyah guess I won't participate this year like I planned. I'll still go and hopefully find deals though. =)

*coughunlesssomeonewantstosplititwithmeandsellmystuffcough*

I'd be more than happy to split cost and share a sheet/tarp/box with you for the swap meet ^^ I've got a bunch of stuff I'd love to bring, but the more stuff, the better the presentation! \o\

I know my roommates (and my mother) will be really happy to hear that I'm selling a lot of the stuff that's been cluttering up my room (both at home and my dorm)
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

Kazuko

x: questioonnn

So my friend and I plan on selling crap for thursday and Friday, we were wondering do you need a badge for thurs? or can you just show up and like sell stuff, i have a badge while my friend dosent and is thinking of only reggin for friday

clarity would be nice

and also when is the regestration open for a spot?

Keys

You do need a badge to sell.  Your friend would be fine with a Friday-only badge if they are only selling on Friday.

Registration for Friday night opens April 5th, as it states on the website: http://www.fanime.com/events/swap-meet

Keys

Quote from: Black Kawaii Kitty on March 12, 2008, 11:49:40 PMLast year my friend bought someone's used KH keyblade that they made, is that allowed? if so I'd like to sell my FF13 gunblades there, but if not I'll do it at my joint table at the artists colony =3

Used cosplay items are fine, even if you made them yourself.  However, if you initially made them for the purpose of selling rather than your own cosplay use, we ask you to refrain from selling them at Swap Meet -- Artists' Colony would be more appropriate.

Black Kawaii Kitty

Quote from: Keys on March 26, 2008, 02:09:16 AM
Quote from: Black Kawaii Kitty on March 12, 2008, 11:49:40 PMLast year my friend bought someone's used KH keyblade that they made, is that allowed? if so I'd like to sell my FF13 gunblades there, but if not I'll do it at my joint table at the artists colony =3

Used cosplay items are fine, even if you made them yourself.  However, if you initially made them for the purpose of selling rather than your own cosplay use, we ask you to refrain from selling them at Swap Meet -- Artists' Colony would be more appropriate.

oh ok thank you ^.^, the cosplay related items I intend to sell at the swapmeet are all used items.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Keys on March 25, 2008, 01:50:48 PM
Here are a few tips for sellers:
- Bring cash, you're going to need to make change
- If you have bags to recycle, it never hurts to bring them to put people's purchases in.
- Come both days!  Remember, Friday swap meet requires pre-registration, Thursday does not.
- There are no tables at swap meet.  However, many people use the boxes they carry stuff with for make-shift display/organization.  Some people bring sheets to put on the floor.

good points.  I usually bring a lot of small bags, mainly from Taco Bell or other fast-food to give to those who buy stuff from me if they need one. :)

Here's a couple of other tips:

Bring some snacks & water if you plan to be there for a few hours (since the Swap Meet will be open late), since if you're the only person selling stuff, it'll be hard to get a bite to eat for as long as you're there.  The staff allows you to have one other person with you (not sure if this year it'll be the same) so you have your friend get you something or watch your stuff as you use the restroom or grab a snack.

Try to have ALL your items marked with a price-tag before the swap meet, this way you can display it and begin selling w/o worrying about writing the price while people are anxious to get your stuff.  Also have spare-stickers, 3mm pads, and sharpie-markers ready in-case you need to mark-down a price if you feel the price you're currently selling isn't striking anyone's interest. 

And if you can, before the con, make a list of ALL your items, each item priced, so you know what you have to sell, and if something is sold, you can cross it off the list. 

If you're bringing posters, wall-scrolls, clothes, etc.  you may have to roll it out to display it, since they don't allow you to put anything on the wall behind you.  If you have artbooks/magazines, you can use them to weigh down the posters at the corners.

Sheets, blankets, tarps, and even carpets are good to lay your stuff on.  much better than the cold con-center floor.  Bring a pillow to sit on (not sure if they allow your own folding-chair)

And makesure you keep an eye on your stuff!! >:(  Shoplifters steal stuff in the dealers' room, but don't think it can't happen at the swap meet! 

Black Kawaii Kitty

A quick add to that: rolling luggage bags make an easy way to transport your stuff over, especially if you have a lot of stuff and not a lot of people to help you =3

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Black Kawaii Kitty on March 26, 2008, 10:35:10 PM
A quick add to that: rolling luggage bags make an easy way to transport your stuff over, especially if you have a lot of stuff and not a lot of people to help you =3

Which also helps as a box to showcase the items you brought in that luggage. ;)

Keys

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 26, 2008, 10:28:23 PMThe staff allows you to have one other person with you (not sure if this year it'll be the same) so you have your friend get you something or watch your stuff as you use the restroom or grab a snack.

Same as last year, you can have two to a space.

QuoteTry to have ALL your items marked with a price-tag before the swap meet, this way you can display it and begin selling w/o worrying about writing the price while people are anxious to get your stuff.  Also have spare-stickers, 3mm pads, and sharpie-markers ready in-case you need to mark-down a price if you feel the price you're currently selling isn't striking anyone's interest. 

And if you can, before the con, make a list of ALL your items, each item priced, so you know what you have to sell, and if something is sold, you can cross it off the list. 

Good ideas all.

I've heard varying ideas on whether to mark prices or not.  As a buyer I tend to prefer having things marked, though not everything lends itself to post-its so well.  I guess some people prefer not to price things to help gauge interest and because they like to keep things more in a dialogue.  Last year I just had swaths of similar-type items at the same price (English translated manga for $5, shitajiki for $4, etc) and let people know as they displayed interest.  The time before I did post-its and list, but mostly because a friend was doing the selling for me.

QuoteIf you're bringing posters, wall-scrolls, clothes, etc.  you may have to roll it out to display it, since they don't allow you to put anything on the wall behind you.  If you have artbooks/magazines, you can use them to weigh down the posters at the corners.

If you don't have a poster portfolio/book, another thing you can do is print out small pictures of your posters and keep them in a binder.  They could be one per page or many thumbnails per page.  People can quickly flip through them and then ask to see the full version if something strikes their fancy.

Swizzlstik Cosplay

Definitely gonna try and come to the Swap Meet this year. I found some really good, cheap products there last year and I'm hoping to offer someone something that they've been searching for, or even something that they weren't looking for, because it's just that cool.

See you folks there!
The only thing constant in life is that life is constantly changing.

DayDreamerNessa

Even though you don't have to register for thrusday night you would still have to pay 20$ fee right?

I'm hoping to go this year and sell, me and my bf have collected quite a bit of merchandise we no longer want/need and ebay takes some time to do, so it'd be easier to do it all in one shot, than auctions right now lol!
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Eurobeat King

Quote from: DayDreamerNessa on April 05, 2008, 11:37:44 AM
Even though you don't have to register for thrusday night you would still have to pay 20$ fee right?

*nod*  It's $20 for Thursday, and then another $20 for Friday.

I'm glad there are a lot of people who show up on pre-reg. Thursday, so that gives them first-dibs on buying stuff from you as opposed to waiting until Friday.  :)

IMPORTANT: The online registration for Friday night's Swap Meet is now open!  Go here to register online:

http://www.fanime.com/events/swap-meet

Good luck in reserving a space for Friday's Swap Meet!

Keys

Quote from: DayDreamerNessa on April 05, 2008, 11:37:44 AM

I'm hoping to go this year and sell, me and my bf have collected quite a bit of merchandise we no longer want/need and ebay takes some time to do, so it'd be easier to do it all in one shot, than auctions right now lol!

Right!  If you're sharing space with your boyfriend, it's $20 for the both of you (since it's by space) for each night you want space.  However, both of you should fill out and bring with you the application form.

I definitely hear you on the eBay thing.  No packaging and post offices and wait times to worry about!

Keys

Quote from: Eurobeat King on April 05, 2008, 11:45:06 AMI'm glad there are a lot of people who show up on pre-reg. Thursday, so that gives them first-dibs on buying stuff from you as opposed to waiting until Friday.  :)

Yeah, I did more selling last year on Thursday than on Friday, despite being there far fewer hours.  I don't know if it's because all of my desirable stuff was gone by the end of Thursday, less other sellers, or if it's just a different culture of buyers who come that night.