"Wig"-ing out [help please! >_<]

Started by yamaneko, March 13, 2008, 07:13:12 PM

yamaneko

Okay. I admit it. That was lame. xD;

Anyways. . .

My Allen Walker wig came in the other day. . . and it was way longer than I thought it would be. >_< I'm too scared to cut it myself, because, if I cut it wrong, I'll have to get another one. . . and for a 14-year-old, I don't really have that much financial freedom ^^; Does anyone know where I can get it cut, or have any tips for cutting it myself?
Stephie Z.
2007 - Video Programming staff
2008 - Allen Walker (D.Gray-man) / Panels staff

(list subject to change based on budget and time issues)

redroses3164

You can always get it cut at a salon or barbershop. Just show them MANY references pictures and how long it should be based on either you wearing it or placing it on a wig head (but remember that usually wig heads are smaller than human heads).

If you want to cut it yourself, I suggest using a razor blade. I don't really know much on styling wigs, but I know a razor blade is very good at cutting things and making a nice looking edge.

squalo

do you have a picture of it? I might can help you^^
如果没人爱我的话,那我会自己爱自己的

yamaneko

Sure! I have LOTS of pics xDD;

The thing is, I went to the salon that I usually go to to get my hair cut, and they said they couldn't do it, because there's some special way for cutting wigs. . . so I'm kinda scared. >.<

Anyway, reference pics. xD

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/Raftina/allen_walker.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z110/rawraheartbreakk/allen.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj87/emanresu22/ad.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg205/lingkiat/dgraymanmh6.png
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/deidara-sempai/19190776_516119.gif

Tried to get the most views of his head as possible. . . couldn't find any of the back, though >.< I could always screenshot one.
Stephie Z.

redroses3164

Quote from: yamaneko on March 13, 2008, 07:33:49 PM
The thing is, I went to the salon that I usually go to to get my hair cut, and they said they couldn't do it, because there's some special way for cutting wigs. . . so I'm kinda scared. >.<

Welp, maybe they don't have the right kind of scissors? That's a bummer.

Sorry that I can't be much help. Good luck finding your answer though! :)

yamaneko

Lol, thanks anyways ^^ That's what I thought, too, which is part of the reason why I don't wanna cut it myself ^^; ( afraid that something bad will happen, like all the hair falling out or something xD; )
Stephie Z.

squalo

I think you could give a try^^, if your wig is too long just cut shorter, then modify it, it might be easier^^
如果没人爱我的话,那我会自己爱自己的

yamaneko

Quote from: squalo on March 13, 2008, 08:14:56 PM
I think you could give a try^^, if your wig is too long just cut shorter, then modify it, it might be easier^^

But, what I'm afraid of it that I'll cut it too short >.< Then there's no way I could grow it longer. . .
Stephie Z.

hellangel

you just have to try it. it's part of the cosplay-learning process ^__^

don't try to cut it all at once. just trim- like you said, it can always go shorter, but not longer, so just make it shorter and shorter slowly. do NOT cut it straight across, horizontally, especially since allen's hair is pretty shaggy/wispy. instead, hold the scissors up vertically and snip at the hairs. this will trim the wig as well as produce that feathery effect. just focus and work slowly! you can do it~

as for the salon not being able to do it...that's very strange, especially since beauticians practice on wigs before getting licensed! but i suppose they don't want to dull their hair-cutting scissors by cutting plastic, synthetic fibers.
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

kimu

There are wonderful tutorials online for styling wigs!
Go to cosplay.com and into the wig forum. There are links in various threads in there to a number of great websites that show you techniques with pictures, and list the sorts of tools they used.
Or websites like Amphigory, Katie Bair's Petting Zoo, Tristen Citrine, also have some tutorials.
Do some of that research, and as suggested, start long and slowly cut your way up to the length you want, use clips to keep other sections out of the way. And for your age if you're not comfortable with a razor blade to cut the hair, get a pair of halfway decent scissors. Maybe the Fiskars type--watch for sales at JoAnns and such stores if money is an issue.
Best wishes!

Moonblossom

If you're still really afraid, look in the yellow pages for wig styling. Most big cities have salons that specialize in it, a lot of women nowadays wear wigs. For medical reasons, religious reasons, even just women who like having crazy different hair every day.

Regular salons will tell you no, but there are salons that cater to this especially, they'd be happy to help I'm sure.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: hellangel on March 14, 2008, 12:16:43 AM
you just have to try it. it's part of the cosplay-learning process ^__^

don't try to cut it all at once. just trim- like you said, it can always go shorter, but not longer, so just make it shorter and shorter slowly. do NOT cut it straight across, horizontally, especially since allen's hair is pretty shaggy/wispy. instead, hold the scissors up vertically and snip at the hairs. this will trim the wig as well as produce that feathery effect. just focus and work slowly! you can do it~

Actually, I don't recommend this at all. With that method, she'll end up ruining the wig even if she was a pro. Consider the fact that she mentioned that she doesn't have the time and money for ordering the wig at her disposal. Scissors are difficult to use for a shaggy/wispy look, as natural hair is normally first cut into the estimated length and style, then layered with razors.

If you don't have someone with experience to show you, and you don't have the money to practice on your own-- like, with wigs to practice and work with, and the proper tools, it's best to get a professional or an experienced friend to help you out.

Quoteas for the salon not being able to do it...that's very strange, especially since beauticians practice on wigs before getting licensed! but i suppose they don't want to dull their hair-cutting scissors by cutting plastic, synthetic fibers.

That's part of it, as synthetic wigs are different from actual human hair. It's like cutting through fabric and using the same pair for a sheet of plastic. They don't have the supplies to spare for someone who requests to get a wig styled, and not only that but most salons are afraid to because wigs do not grow and if they don't pull off the style you're looking for, then they failed their job and your wig is stuck that way unless you cut it again. Some salons wouldn't do it due to beliefs or religions.

As Moonblossom at said, there are places who specialize in this sort of thing, but I'll tell you now that they aren't cheap. I'm having a friend style my wigs, so if you know anyone with the ability to do so, by all means ask them. Either that, or you could commission someone-- but with commissions, it's either hit or miss, so pay close attention to their portfolio before hiring.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

hellangel

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on March 14, 2008, 09:14:09 AMActually, I don't recommend this at all. With that method, she'll end up ruining the wig even if she was a pro. Consider the fact that she mentioned that she doesn't have the time and money for ordering the wig at her disposal. Scissors are difficult to use for a shaggy/wispy look, as natural hair is normally first cut into the estimated length and style, then layered with razors.

Eh, the suggestion was given as I was assuming the only accessible tool was regular scissors. It's what we do in the theatre when the director is like I WANT THIS WIG STYLED LIKE THIS NOAW -___- haha~

Are you around the Bay Area, yamaneko? Perhaps I/others can just trim it for you, either now-ish or at-con (at-con's probably easier meeting-wise, but more stressful in the sense that the need-to-trim will linger until then  :-\).
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

yamaneko

Thanks, everyone, for your input!!! ^-^

hellangel: Yeah, I'm in the bay area, San Jose. I will be at the con all four days, so either way would work ^^

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL HELP!!
Stephie Z.

HavicMichaelchris

well, Sometimes doing it yourself can work out a little.

Cosplays: L, Kyo, Pip, Ed, Luxord, And more listed elsewhere.