Buying Cosplay Costumes in the Dealers Room

Started by heeroyuy135, March 13, 2008, 09:39:46 PM

heeroyuy135

I have a friend who is coming down and I wanted to buy her a costume before hand, but I think it would better if she picked it out herself at Fanime.

How many dealers sell cosplay costumes, and how much can I expect to cost?

bahamutknightzero

You usually don't see cosplay costumes being sold (even though I heard that they might be sold at the Swap Meet). As for how much, that can vary

Kandybar

Yeah, normally you don't see too many costumes in the dealers' room, though you can buy parts, like headbands from Naruto, or Urahara's hat, and I know last year Cosworx had a booth and was selling wigs, but I can't recall ever seeing a complete costume.

Jun-Watarase

Why would it be better to choose a cosplay in the dealer's room, rather than buy it beforehand? That doesn't really make sense to me.

Rarely are there any dealers at Fanime that actually sell full costumes, even at most, the garments. I've seen some dealers at larger cons do this, but they're impersonal and most likely low-quality and expensive. They obviously won't be made to fit. The most you'll probably see are probably generic school uniforms, retired cosplays people are throwing out, or pre-made low quality ones like the ones mentioned above. As for other things, you'd be able to find UNSTYLED wigs at the Cosworx booths, and accessories in various dealers and artists... but you're almost guaranteed a inadequate costume if you do it this way.

Most people who are new to the whole cosplay thing that choose to do this normally just buy a set of animal ears and a tail or something, but I don't really recommend this as it's looked-down upon by peers and cosplayers alike.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

heeroyuy135

kimono_hime

I'll be selling kimono and kimono gear, assuming all goes well and my booth contract gets approved. And yes, I will dress people if it's not too busy.

Reikon

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on March 14, 2008, 10:31:47 AM
Most people who are new to the whole cosplay thing that choose to do this normally just buy a set of animal ears and a tail or something, but I don't really recommend this as it's looked-down upon by peers and cosplayers alike.

People actually look down on others wearing just animal ears or a tail? I know people who wear those but aren't trying to cosplay. Some people just want to mess around and have fun.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

alisonbrock

I cannot believe that those who do not wear a complete cosplay outfit are looked down upon. It is my first time, and I did not have enought money to buy a costume, so all I going to wear is kitty ears. I just want to have fun, not worry about what people think about my clothes.

Gwydion

I think that's only if they demand that they are in costume, when it's just a pair of ears. I've never seen someone mocked randomly for ears or tail especially when they aren't trying to look as if they're cosplaying. Really it's all in your attitude. It's the same thing for wearing a Naruto headband and claiming to be a ninja.

pockystix

One word: furries. I'm not a Nazi about it, but I don't advocate it either.
New sn = Meirin

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

The only time someone looks down on someone for wearing cat ears and a tail is if they're idiot morrons who take Cosplayin abit too seriously. As far as buying a Cosplay at the con... I wanted to do that too. But last year, my first year, when I went there was none and there probably won't be any this year either. Question I have is... Why not? Dealer could make big bank selling at the con as lots of people tend to realize they want to Cosplay WHEN they get to the con not prior to. I guess they dun think. :P

Jun-Watarase

People look down upon people wearing cat-ears and Naruto headbands aren't being elitist with cosplay. It's barely even considered cosplay just to wear those sort of accessories. The reason behind it being looked-down upon is the negative reputation people doing this have gained over the years, and so far, the stereotypes aren't much different.

Anyways, yes. A good amount of people do take cosplay seriously, but the main reason to cosplay is to have fun and express your love for that character. As long as you love the character and know about him/her very well, then you have enough reason to cosplay. HOWEVER, people are nitpicky in terms of accuracy and whether or not said cosplayer can actually pull it off. By chance someone ELSE loves that character, too, and sees someone unattractive bastardizing their beloved character's image, well... it's disappointing, harsh and yet normally the case. America is actually the WORST large cosplay scene known, save for a few "professionals" (lol cgl) and has one of the most ridiculed cosplay scenes thus far. People in Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines mostly take it as an art form, in craftsmanship, modeling, and photography... where as in America, tons of people just throw crap together, take amateur photos and act like idiots. Having fun is one thing, but humiliating yourself is another.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Good riddens... o.o; Why is it always America?

MikoChika

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on May 17, 2008, 02:23:21 PM
People look down upon people wearing cat-ears and Naruto headbands aren't being elitist with cosplay. It's barely even considered cosplay just to wear those sort of accessories. The reason behind it being looked-down upon is the negative reputation people doing this have gained over the years, and so far, the stereotypes aren't much different.

Anyways, yes. A good amount of people do take cosplay seriously, but the main reason to cosplay is to have fun and express your love for that character. As long as you love the character and know about him/her very well, then you have enough reason to cosplay. HOWEVER, people are nitpicky in terms of accuracy and whether or not said cosplayer can actually pull it off. By chance someone ELSE loves that character, too, and sees someone unattractive bastardizing their beloved character's image, well... it's disappointing, harsh and yet normally the case. America is actually the WORST large cosplay scene known, save for a few "professionals" (lol cgl) and has one of the most ridiculed cosplay scenes thus far. People in Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines mostly take it as an art form, in craftsmanship, modeling, and photography... where as in America, tons of people just throw crap together, take amateur photos and act like idiots. Having fun is one thing, but humiliating yourself is another.

Um.. okay. I don't agree with this comment. It sounds like you are saying only people who are serious about cosplay and are attractive should cosplay. What ever happened to the idea ' becuase you love this character you have the right to cosplay them' ? I don't think it matters what you look like, you can be a man and crossplay as Fey Valentine for all I care ,as long as you love that character. True with that spesific example the guy had the idea of makeign fun fo that character in mind and acting like a fool. and in my opinion, that's fine. He has the right to.
But I do believe that on a certain level cosplaying should be viewed as more of an art form and I really admire those who have the skill and ability to do so and act as the chracter when in costume. It's amazeing really to meet such people. and it is sad that there are so few out there.
But you can't expect everyone to be on that level. There are a good plenty of people who would much rather just dress up and have fun.
Please, don't feed the moogle.

Jelly Soup

In previous years, I've seen a number of people get somewhat harassed about wearing catears and such, but I never really understood why. It's not hurting you or the con, just let it go if it bothers you and enjoy the weekend. I got a bit of that when I first started attending, which I didn't let bother me, as my ears were hand made by a dear friend.

I didn't see much of that going on last year, as there was that one vendor selling stuff like that.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: MikoChika on May 17, 2008, 03:38:42 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on May 17, 2008, 02:23:21 PM

Um.. okay. I don't agree with this comment. It sounds like you are saying only people who are serious about cosplay and are attractive should cosplay. What ever happened to the idea ' becuase you love this character you have the right to cosplay them' ? I don't think it matters what you look like, you can be a man and crossplay as Fey Valentine for all I care ,as long as you love that character. True with that spesific example the guy had the idea of makeign fun fo that character in mind and acting like a fool. and in my opinion, that's fine. He has the right to.
But I do believe that on a certain level cosplaying should be viewed as more of an art form and I really admire those who have the skill and ability to do so and act as the chracter when in costume. It's amazeing really to meet such people. and it is sad that there are so few out there.
But you can't expect everyone to be on that level. There are a good plenty of people who would much rather just dress up and have fun.

By the way. I didn't write it as my personal opinion, in terms of the whole "only attractive people should cosplay" idea. I was writing it as how it NORMALLY is, which was made clear by how I wrote those sentences. Just because you might no agree with it, or -I- might not agree with it, doesn't change that this is what a good handful of people think when seeing unattractive cosplayers. MY reasoning was the first bit, where it said "PEOPLE WHO LOVE THE CHARACTER AND WANT TO EXPRESS THEIR LOVE FOR THAT CHARACTER have good reason to cosplay."

FanimaidCafe.com

heeroyuy135

God, I feel like I'm back on /cgl/ or cosfu...

Jelly Soup

Like many other situations in life, this problem has a very simple solution.

If you want to cosplay and have the means to cosplay, then cosplay. If someone doesn't like your version of the character, well.......that's their problem.

MikoChika

Quote from: Jelly Soup on May 17, 2008, 04:37:20 PM
Like many other situations in life, this problem has a very simple solution.

If you want to cosplay and have the means to cosplay, then cosplay. If someone doesn't like your version of the character, well.......that's their problem.

Well put.
Please, don't feed the moogle.

Truten

Many of you are asking why people don't sell cosplays at Fanime. The reason is because there are a variety of sizes and the costume will most likely not be made to fit the person. The cosplay outfits that you see on people are custom made by themselves or a coplay site. It normally costs a lot to have a costume made so most people end up making their own.