Buying Cosplay Costumes in the Dealers Room

Started by heeroyuy135, March 13, 2008, 09:39:46 PM

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Jun-Watarase

Well, the vary in sizes are obvious. But there are a lot of stores that try to bring cosplays that fit a general size, one-size-fits-all type deal. I've seen cosplay stores do this at AX, but at Fanime, it's pretty much premade company-made clothing like gothic lolita outfits and  antique school uniforms, maybe a few artist booths with retired cosplays of their own that might fit someone else. If said cosplayers buying these to wear, sizing probably doesn't even matter if they don't care. As long as it fits. If said cosplay is taken seriously and wants to have a nice and fitting cut to their body, then they order something in advance, or tailor something themselves that's suitable. But then, most cosplayers normally organize something in advance before the con.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Eri Kagami

There's usually at least one dealer selling costume related paraphenelia. Last year, there was a booth that sold kimonos. I know this year, there's going to be a dealer that sells EGL clothes. I've seen their stuff at ACen and PMX. Nice prices, if $50 to $100 is in your range for decent Lolita stuff.

Jelly Soup

Eri Kagami

Yay! A friend of mine bought a really spiffy obi from them last year.

Usually, the swap meet has people selling off costumes.

Hm...I've noticed that more and more dealers  are selling full costumes. ACen and Fanime are about the same size. It's really funny. If I were new to cosplay, I could buy full on Bleach shinigami robes there! Luckily, I already have one.

The artist alley also sells some nice lolita accessories. I bought three skirts and a few headbands last year.

K-ayu

Ugh, I wouldn't recommend buying an outfit from a vendor since they're usually lower quality (however, there are some specialty places that do a decent job or have brand-name clothing) and are over-priced. Pretty much all of the costumes that I have seen at cons can be easily made for a lot cheaper. Additionally, the costumes are all unique and so the person would probably want to try it on before purchasing.

One memory from this past year: I walked through a place selling Bodyline and h. Naoto clothing and a girl was trying on one of the dresses. Sure, the dress was cute and all, but she couldn't zip the back up even half-way because she was too large (or perhaps, the dress was made for a thinner person...). That said, it's important to check before you buy, especially with no-return policies.

Kazuko

Children use your BRAND FITTING POWERS before you try on a Japanese brand clothing just because it says small or large it may not fit on you, since thoes sizes are a bit smaller since they mainly fit asian women so take a tape measurer with you!. If not please try before you buy

I dont trust bodyline because of the iffy quality and style of dresses. Same with most Lolita clothing at cons most of it is either really good or really bad Like OMG Lace monster cheap fabric (ie satin) or poorly made clothing. Yes lolita brands normally cost arms and legs but some are at reasonable pricing :U hahaha im such a fashionista/elitist on Lolita clothing

K-ayu

But I have to say, thank goodness I fit the average mold, so I never have to worry about trying on clothes. It's like fashion heaven when you don't have to worry about finding your size! I don't belong in this country...or anywhere, for that matter. Send me to Ilia! XD