How young is too young?

Started by yamaneko, March 21, 2008, 05:40:20 PM

yamaneko

In reply to Froxen Shade's thread xDD; So. How young IS too young? My "group" and I are all still in middle school; we planned on going to Fanime every year since last year. But is 13-14 too young? o_O
Stephie Z.
2007 - Video Programming staff
2008 - Allen Walker (D.Gray-man) / Panels staff

(list subject to change based on budget and time issues)

Nyxyin

That's a good question.  13 seems to be a reasonable age to me.  I would guess that under 13 might probably be too young according to a lot of people because a lot of anime seems to be rated 13+.  Even then, I would guess that even pre-teens can still enjoy concerts, cosplay performances, some of the anime, karaoke, panels, gaming, etc.  Basically, I think the only people who are too young are those who can't get permission from their parents or guardians to go to Fanime.

JTchinoy

considering kids in japan are dressed in cosplay by their parents... i don't think there's an age requirement either.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

luckyends

well i think 13+ is a good limit because even though there are animes for little kids i think that the way people are acting at the con and the  masquerade performances are both kinda for 13+
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

Mister_E

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

koella

I saw a few kids dressed in bleach cosplay last year (*sooooo* cute) and they were probably 10 or even younger, but they were accompanied by their parent.  Fanime has a lot of stuff more suitable for the older people, but I think, with parental supervision, younger kids can still enjoy it and take part in it.  So I think you and your friends should be fine.  I've been going to Fanime since I was 12 and I never really had a problem with it.
Are you and your group planning to go by yourselves?

milan

My brother's going with his friends and they're about 9-11 years old. My brother's still debating on whether to cosplay as L or Sasuke. XD

cappeh

hi i lav u

Mister_E

We need some Nels people!

Quote from: cappeh on March 22, 2008, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: Mister_E on March 22, 2008, 08:27:30 AM
Baby Chocobo
awww! :D
Yeah I know  ;D Can't get any younger than that, well unless the line to get into the con was so long! ...Well you know...
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Ari

Lmao OMG that baby chocobo was sooo cute!  But i wouldnt really say there is an age limit... some of the stuff is kinda for pg-13-ish around the con but i see kids who are like 10 years old and stuff dressed in cosplay. Don't even worry about it

Jun-Watarase

While there's no actual age limit, I'm sure most people can judge what is, in fact, too young.

I mean, if you look at the environment at FanimeCon, 13 is a reasonable age. I would say things are at best, PG-13. I started going to cons when I was relatively 11 or 12, but started participating at 13. Though, at the time, people who frequented cons were on average, 16-18+, while 15 being relatively the youngest. Things have changed now, and more and more people your age attend anime conventions.

While bringing kids are cute, it's up to you whether or not to decide what's too young, or rather too troublesome for one to bring to a public event, or too troublesome to supervise.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Chihiro

I hope not. Me and my friends are going to Fanime this year (I plan on going every year possible though) and we're still in middle school. The first year I went to Fanime was in 6th grade.. o.o
Fanime is right before my birthday too xD..

Even though I'm really young, people often mistake me as someone a lot older. If you can be mature about whatever, people wont bother about your age (I would assume).
on my way to steal yo gurls
Fanimaid Cafe Department Second Head

redroses3164

I think that as long as they won't cause a ruckus like SOME kids *coughs* then it's fine. Some kids are not mature, others are. If kids are running around and causing trouble, then they shouldn't be allowed to be at a con.
There are good kids out there that can behave themselves. Then they should be allowed in.

So I really think it depends on how the kid acts. And if children below 13 are going, they should have some type of supervision so they don't see something... um... traumatizing. *coughsthedealer'sroomhassomeadultstuffcoughs*

yamaneko

Thanks for all the answers, guys! I just turned 14 yesterday, so I think I'm pretty set to go for this year! ^^
BABY CHOCOBO IS SOOOO CUTE!!
Last year, though, I saw an Ururu who was about 9 or 10, but she was with her dad and/or mom (didn't really get a good look, I just passed her in the hall).
Stephie Z.

Mister_E

I think those kids who cosplayed a Rukia and Ichigo, also did Naruto and Sakura in '06.

FanFicGuru

I'm bringing my younger siblings ages 13-18. However, I told my 11 year old sister that she's too young. I would rather not start bringing her until she's ~13 years old. My general believe is if you're under 13 you should have a supervisor with you, and by "supervisor" I don't mean your middle school homies. Nothing frightens me more than a band of roaming middle schoolers, except maybe a band of roaming high schoolers.

In general though, I'd say 13 is a good age, and if you're under 12 your parent or another responsible +18 person should be keeping an eye on you so you don't further embarass the anime community as a whole (there are plenty of others who do that just fine on their own).
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

yamaneko

Quote from: FanFicGuru on March 23, 2008, 02:23:13 AM
Nothing frightens me more than a band of roaming middle schoolers, except maybe a band of roaming high schoolers.

LOL.

In general though, I'd say 13 is a good age, and if you're under 12 your parent or another responsible +18 person should be keeping an eye on you so you don't further embarass the anime community as a whole (there are plenty of others who do that just fine on their own).

Okies! I'll take note for when my little nieces start insisting I bring them to Fanime with me. xD
Stephie Z.

JohnnyAR

I'm bringing my younger siblings ages 13-18. However, I told my 11 year old sister that she's too young. I would rather not start bringing her until she's ~13 years old. My general believe is if you're under 13 you should have a supervisor with you, and by "supervisor" I don't mean your middle school homies. Nothing frightens me more than a band of roaming middle schoolers, except maybe a band of roaming high schoolers.

I'm with you there on the roaming high schoolers part.

KamijoIsLove

QuoteCan't get any younger than that, well unless the line to get into the con was so long! ...Well you know...

LOL. o_O

Actually that baby chocobo was damn cute.

Sunara Ishi

Age two and younger can be annoying if the baby cries a lot.
It can be ok though... if the baby is well behaved enough.

But what is definitely too young is babies that have been just been born or are a couple of weeks old.

Probably below 7 if the child is going alone. (Though I don't think fanime allows anyone below pre-teen/10 to go to the con w/o a guardian.)

るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula