quick questions...well sorta quick

Started by crystalsoul, March 31, 2008, 09:37:44 AM

crystalsoul

i had a few quick questions about "Working" as a staff member at fanime...

*if you choose to work at fanime, do you get a free weekend pass? -I remember hearing this somewhere.

*How many days do you have to work? do you just work 1 day? - Also heard this somewhere as well

*Is there an age requirement as to how old you must be to work?

*When are the staff meetings?

*do i have to attend these staff meetings to become staff member?  if so, how many?

*how much is the discount for the hotel if your a staff member?

*What jobs are there?

thats all i can think of for now,
thank you for your time ^.^

Shi_Musouka

Quote from: crystalsoul on March 31, 2008, 09:37:44 AM

i had a few quick questions about "Working" as a staff member at fanime...

*if you choose to work at fanime, do you get a free weekend pass? -I remember hearing this somewhere.
It's usually free as long as you get your hours in, I think... Staff has a completely separate registration process, from what I hear...

Quote from: crystalsoul on March 31, 2008, 09:37:44 AM*How many days do you have to work? do you just work 1 day? - Also heard this somewhere as well

Fanime Staff requires that you work a minimum of 24 hours, but if you plan on working for only a day and not being on duty all day(assuming you're getting in around 6-12 hours), you may need to consult your department head about it when you join. Different heads have different expectations, as far as enforcing the 24 hour minimum goes.

If you work at a rate of 6 hours per day(assuming you stay from Friday - Monday) or higher, you will reach the 24 hour minimum.

Quote from: crystalsoul on March 31, 2008, 09:37:44 AM*Is there an age requirement as to how old you must be to work?
For the most part, you should be safe if you're over 16, though some people can get away with 15 depending on your department needs. There are some departments that limit you to being 18 or over though...

Quote from: crystalsoul on March 31, 2008, 09:37:44 AM*When are the staff meetings?

http://www.fanime.com/staff/welcome-to-staff has a list of meetings.

Quote from: crystalsoul on March 31, 2008, 09:37:44 AM*do i have to attend these staff meetings to become staff member?  if so, how many?
That really depends on your department requirements. Some may require you to show up to 2-3, some have their own department meetings where they go over what is usually discussed at the staff meetings, but the meeting before the con is usually a mandatory one.

Quote from: crystalsoul on March 31, 2008, 09:37:44 AM*how much is the discount for the hotel if your a staff member?

Direct quote from another staffer:
Quote from: Pimpstress Rei on May 08, 2007, 01:25:08 AM
Fanime staff aren't allowed to discuss whether or not they get a discount for their hotel rooms. It's confidential information between them and the hotel staff.
Although we're not allowed to discuss it here, people still ask this question at the general meetings so you can get the answer there.

Quote from: crystalsoul on March 31, 2008, 09:37:44 AM*What jobs are there?

thats all i can think of for now,
thank you for your time ^.^

The staff site of fanime.com should have a list of recruiting departments, though you can also figure out what departments are there if you attend enough meetings too. I'm too lazy to remember all the dozens of departments we have =____=

womanaconda

Quote from: crystalsoul on March 31, 2008, 09:37:44 AM
*How many days do you have to work? do you just work 1 day? - Also heard this somewhere as well
*Is there an age requirement as to how old you must be to work?

Hi,

Staff members get staff badges, which we don't have to pay for, since we're working during the con. Expect to work for many hours every day. As Shi_Musouka said, there's a 24 minimum. The actual amount of time that you'd be working, though, depends entirely on which head you're working for.

If you don't want to or can't be on staff, then you can also volunteer. Volunteers get a reimbursement upon completing a certain number of hours (5 for a day badge, 20 for a weekend; double time on Thursday and Monday). Volunteers have to be at least 14, and must have a permission form if they are under 18.

Hope this helps.

SOawesomeness

I like to register for the con and staff so I get two badges. :3
I also work like... as many hours as I can and totally exceed the requirements because it's fun to work. :D

Yeah, last year, I was 15 and worked for reg. My friend's friend was 14 (but worked for a different department), so it really does depend on which department you work for. Most departments really do like it if you're 16 or over, though.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Steve.Young

Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Moonblossom

I think a good thing to keep in mind is this: Are you wanting to be staff to get the perks (staff rooms, free badge, etc) or because you genuinely want to help. You'll have a lot less free time over the course of the weekend, and depending on where you're working people can be generally rude and thankless.

I've never volunteered for Fanime, but I did work in a booth last year and I've volunteered at similar smaller events, and really, if you're not doing it because you really honestly -want- to and look forward to helping out, then you probably should just get a regular badge so you can relax and have fun.

LadyKaren

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 01, 2008, 09:09:41 AM
Quote from: LadyKaren on April 01, 2008, 05:40:33 AM
I write these things on the website for a reason you know...

http://www.fanime.com/staff

http://www.fanime.com/staff/welcome-to-staff

http://www.fanime.com/staff/how-to-join

But but...most people don't actually READ that stuff...they pretend they do!  :o

Yes, but when you miss the inside jokes and easter eggs all through out the site.

SOawesomeness

EASTER EGGS? :0!

I read that stuff before... back when I was trying to find the staff website, like, 3 months ago. >.>
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

LadyKaren

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on April 01, 2008, 08:24:03 PM
EASTER EGGS? :0!

I read that stuff before... back when I was trying to find the staff website, like, 3 months ago. >.>

The webstaff gets board making the website. We hide things in for the fun of it.