What are some tips for first-timers?

Started by shy-cosplayer, March 31, 2008, 07:40:24 PM

shy-cosplayer

There are probably a ton of these threads, but I'm going to start one!..... and because this is my first time going to a con....  ;D

luckyends

well just have fun dont be offended if people are assholes about your cosplays its happened to me befor just brush it off there just being jerks and you know your there to have fun

dont spend to much on the first day unless your only there for one day

bring fix up suplies for your cosplays

eat food (kinda stupid but youd be suprised)
sleep (same )
and for the love of god BATHE (again same)

just enjoy yourself and welcome to the best time of your life
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

ToshiX

chill, relax, its fanime
have fun depending on which cosplay your planning
there maybe glompers but seems they banded glomping
if i'm not mistaken.
keep a emo bag or some sort of carry bag to put stuff in.

enjoy yourself bath
dont want to smell now do we lol

and ignore peoples stupid opinions
on what your cosplay look like blah if its bad only

ya thats bout it
"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

BrightHeart76

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,8073.0.html

Try this thread, it hasn't been updated for months, but the tips are good.   ;D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

JTchinoy

la victoria's has good burritos and is open until 3 if you need a late night snack.

there's a jack in the box right next to it.

iguana's is a good burrito joint too.

those are all... 3 blocks from the convention center.

PLEASE EAT!!!!!!!!!!

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

dibbly

eat, sleep, drink, be merry. and duck.....
and that thread is really helpfull too!
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

JTchinoy

no signs soliciting ANYTHING is allowed, sadly.

you can't have a glomp sign, a hug sign, a high five sign, a take a picture with me sign, nothing. :(

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

luckyends

oh theres a good diner if you go out of the con center and keep walking across the street keep going through the little ally way next to the tech musieum and its right there its called peggy sues dinner its so freaking goooooooood ^_^
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

shy-cosplayer

Kazuya Mitsubishi

Hello, first timer here.

Is there anything a ninja should be wary of? Traps, assassins, guards, etc?  ;D

Are there any events or areas that I should check out first?

Rainbow Ichi

Quote from: Kazuya Mitsubishi on April 03, 2008, 07:21:52 PM
Hello, first timer here.

Is there anything a ninja should be wary of? Traps, assassins, guards, etc?  ;D

Are there any events or areas that I should check out first?
that would depend on what you're interested in. would be advisable you check out the events tab in the fanimecon webpage to see all the happenings.

But we're getting out of topic here so...

if you can't eat out, try hoarding some food to keep in your bag. Last year at saturday evening some of my newfound friends were sooo hungry, I shared them my home-made onigiris :D damn everyone split them all up that it all lasted with just a bite for each person.

hmm not only 'just food'. Fast food isn't good if taken in succession. If you've familiarized yourself with the light rail, you can take yourself to japantown san jose and buy decent food from the stores there, or if not stock on all the 'decent' food you can find at the japanese grocery there. They sell bento boxes everyday, freshly made and a variety of food from onigiri, sushi, maki, udon, noodles, takoyaki's and more ^^

-keep yourself hydrated. last year it was a great improvement that they have water dispensers at the video rooms and and music rooms, however, always bring one bottle of water with you. soda dispensers at Fanime run out fast, and soda isn't a good way to hydrate yourself.
"Brevity is the Soul of the Wit"
"Pen and Sword in accord"

Rainbow Ichi's DeviantART Page:
http://rainbow010101.deviantart.com

heeroyuy135

Quote from: Rainbow Ichi on April 03, 2008, 09:19:17 PM
Quote from: Kazuya Mitsubishi on April 03, 2008, 07:21:52 PM
Hello, first timer here.
-keep yourself hydrated. last year it was a great improvement that they have water dispensers at the video rooms and and music rooms, however, always bring one bottle of water with you. soda dispensers at Fanime run out fast, and soda isn't a good way to hydrate yourself.
Bring a case of water and/or sport drinks (like Gatorade, Powerade, and so fourth) to your room. You can probably get a case of 24 for about $5 dollars, and a 12 pack of Gatorade for about $15 (depending on where you go, a big-bulk box store like Costco can have a case of 24 for $10). The sugar in soda and energy drinks will make you crash, and a crashing attendee is never a good thing.

Kazuko

BATHE
BATHE
BATHE
BATHE
BATHE
BATHE
BAAATHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I cannot stress that one enough! Its just un-hygenic =\ and not alot of people dont want to hang arround that fanboy or fangirl (I remember that during the Kamijo concert) Funk

Bring water hydration is key unless you want to pass out on the floor in which i suggest you dont, batteries for like your ds or camera, light snacks to tote arround like fruit snacks are pretty decent  since your going to be out all day.
Bring cash, but mainly an ATM card incase you need to get more x: but the ATM machines have a fee at the con so I suggest you dont use it as much

Keep a cell phone on you and always have atleast one friend be with you at all times, sure cons are fun but when you get lost its kinda scary especially at night when you get a bunch of interesting people~

PK

This will be my second convention but my first to Fanime
XD

My first convention didn't go to well it was so last minute and we didn't have a room...so we had to sleep standing for a few minutes before those people would come and tell us we could sleep there.

XD

Although we did make it all three nights, but with only 200 dollars and a backpack full of snacks (it was a horrible thing to carry around) we didn't smell all that bad.

XD

We were insane, and well since it was just my sister and I it wasn't all that fun..

I have a fear of big crowds but i'm trying to get over it

I hope you have loads of fun, and eatting and resting for a while is always good.

Don't want to overload ;3

Jerry

there was a similar question like this but i goes on my person opinion rant.

for most part have fun.
keep an eye on your value-ables both on you and in your car/hotel room

actually have a vague plan of what you like to do, how to get there and give your self time to allow to lines, delays or cancelations. have a back up plan.

join friends, but dont make the group so overly large or a difference of opinion that may split up or cause any unwanted drama a good rule of thumb would be a party of 2~4 members.

please remember to eat, drink, shower and rest.
theres are pretty self explanitory-

be mindful of your surroundings, try not to run, glomp or start prop fights without bumping into the crowd around you.

sometimes you may have fanboys/girls follow you around so please let Fanime staff know if you feel uncomfortable any time or any place. We're here to make sure everyone is safe and enjoying the con.

other that that, just use your best common sense and enjoy.
thats the reason why your going to Fanime ne?
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

salomei

after going to several cons...good things to keep in mind asides from those mentioned above...

definitely the cell phone tip, it's essential to keep time (time gets warped at cons) and keep contact

go through the program schedule first thing, plan out which events you simply must attend and avoid overlaping time slots. 

Get in line early for major programming events.  Good, assured seating.  I cant remember much about Fanime, but at Acen, I'm always in line for the masquerade at least two hours early.

Bring food with you, because hotel food/eating out is often unhealthy and more often pricey

all in all, you'll learn more from experience.  there's only so much that can be told, ya know? 
-"The gay sex is just a euphemism for male bonding!"
-"Oh if I had a magic wand...I'd show her a fancy la la."
-"Steam, the world can be saved by steam!"

(i love This is Otakudom, greatest parody EVER)

astroboy

Leave your DVD's at home.

We have a "video-programming" dept. which runs 24 hours at Fanime in multiple rooms.

The most ridiculous thing an attendee could bring to an anime con would be anime DVD's, yes I'm biased.

*see my sig*

Nyxyin

Sorry astroboy, but some of the things I regretted most was that I sat in video rooms when one-time Japanese guests were giving panels.

In particular, I didn't know anything about You Higuri when she was here.  Fanime didn't give much warning that Higuri-sensei would be showing up, so I didn't have the chance to do research about her.  I had bought a Japanese manga at the Swap Meet that year, even though I don't read Japanese, just because the art was so beautiful.  I couldn't read the name of the person that created that manga.  So, during Higuri-sensei's autograph session and panels, I was probably sitting in a video room...  It wasn't until years later when I started running across the CMX releases of Higuri-sensei's work that I realized what a lucky find I had in my hands if I had understood what I bought.  I was in the right place at the right time with the right item to get an autograph and meet the creator, but I missed the opportunity because I just didn't know any better.

So, my tip would be to research the guests ahead of time as much as possible.  If a live event you want to see conflicts with a video, go to the live event and make friends with someone who can lend you the video later.  Read the forums to get a sense of which panels come back from year to year so you will know which you're likely to be able to see in the future should two interesting panels conflict.  Accept that you're just not going to be able to do everything you want to do, so don't make yourself sick by trying.  For the first few years, I ended up sick for the two weeks after Fanime (so don't do what I did).  Between lack of sleep, lack of proper nutrition, and being crowded in elevators and rooms with people who may lack proper hygiene, the immune system gets very stressed out.  Remember, thousands of people are carrying whatever bacteria and virus into the same air space, and some of them won't wash off those germs as often as they should.  Sleep and food will help your immune system protect you against all that nastiness.  Fanime will keep coming back for a very long time, so it's not worth getting sick over.

Speaking of coming back, another tip is to check back at Registration mid-morning Monday to see if they'll take pre-reg for the year after.  For the first few years, I seemed to not hear about next year pre-reg until after Registration closed for the year.  Also, they don't seem to accept next year pre-reg if you go too early.  Through trial and error, I eventually came to the conclusion that mid-morning Monday is a good time to bug Registration for next year pre-reg.

Haruka

This will be my 11th Fanime, so I shall pass on some wisdom to you young ones just joining the crazyness.

1. BATHE!-For real, there is nothing on this earth worse than standing in line with people who reek of Otakufunk.  Gross.

2. Bring easily portable food and snacks- Save your money for the Dealer's Room.  It's also easier than having to bail to a restaurant every time you get hungry.  But treat yourself at least once.  I usually will have brunch on Sunday with my sister and her family (and this year my Dad), to visit.

3. Sleep- Get some.

4. If your costume is uncomfortable, CHANGE!  I know it feels stupid to have gone to all the effort to make a costume and then only wear it for two hours a day, but you're supposed to be having fun.  Be comfortable.

5. Beware the Cosplayers! Some people go to a lot of effort to make their costumes, which occassionally have pieces that hang down.  Just be aware of your surroundings and watch where you put your feet.

6. It's okay to ask passers-by for help!- we were all NooB's once and sometimes, you get lost.  Ask for help if you need it.

7. Have FUN!

Welcome to the mental ward.  I hope you enjoy your stay!
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

GokuMew2

- Don't be loud and/or obnoxious.
- Don't be stupid.
- Don't act like a n00b.
- Don't try to get attention by acting like a loud, stupid, n00b.

;D
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests