What are some tips for first-timers?

Started by shy-cosplayer, March 31, 2008, 07:40:24 PM

rude32

If you plan on not bathing, do everyone a BIG favor and not take the elevators. j/k. Have fun, and prepare to have your entire life evolve around fanime.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

luckyends

Quote from: rude32 on April 05, 2008, 06:33:17 PM
If you plan on not bathing, do everyone a BIG favor and not take the elevators. j/k. Have fun, and prepare to have your entire life evolve around fanime.
but seriousely bathe
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

migitlicious

Sorry to add on but I didn't feel like making a new topic though I have some questions as this year will be my first fanime.
1) If I'm going Friday, what time should I get there? (I've already preregistered)
2) Will a program be out online before the Memorial Day weekend? There seems to be lots to do that it seems like  I will have to pick and choose what I want to do.

Thanks!

Kazuko

Quote from: migitlicious on April 05, 2008, 09:49:42 PM
Sorry to add on but I didn't feel like making a new topic though I have some questions as this year will be my first fanime.
1) If I'm going Friday, what time should I get there? (I've already preregistered)
2) Will a program be out online before the Memorial Day weekend? There seems to be lots to do that it seems like  I will have to pick and choose what I want to do.

Thanks!
1. Anytime, well as long as the lines are open I forget when they are closed
2. Normally they are put up online but you do get a freebie at the con with the program~

IamTetsuo

Quote from: migitlicious on April 05, 2008, 09:49:42 PM

Thanks!

1. The earlier you get there the less long of a wait you'll have to pick up your badge.
2. Usually.  Although there are almost always last minute changes.

Nyxyin

Quote from: migitlicious on April 05, 2008, 09:49:42 PM1) If I'm going Friday, what time should I get there? (I've already preregistered)
I recommend picking up your badge on Thursday night if possible, so you can go in on Friday just in time for the first thing you want to see and not have to worry about how bad the badge pick-up line might be.

Quote2) Will a program be out online before the Memorial Day weekend?
That's a good question.  There was a year or two in Fanime history when the schedule didn't come out until Saturday even though the con started Friday.  I think the schedule was posted online a week or two before the convention last year.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Nyxyin on April 07, 2008, 04:23:24 AM
Quote from: migitlicious on April 05, 2008, 09:49:42 PM1) If I'm going Friday, what time should I get there? (I've already preregistered)
I recommend picking up your badge on Thursday night if possible, so you can go in on Friday just in time for the first thing you want to see and not have to worry about how bad the badge pick-up line might be.

You know, funny thing with Fanime's pre-reg line is that I noticed I never had to wait very long on Friday. At most there'd be like a dozen other people in line with me each year, and the line would just grow from people walking by. I've heard that it's actually longer on Thursday because most people want to get their badge early. And the rest of them just line up on Saturday, so that gets somewhat crowded as well. Maybe it's just my luck.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Glitch

Quote from: rude32 on April 05, 2008, 06:33:17 PM
If you plan on not bathing, prepare for the rwath of a water hose.

migitlicious

Thanks for all the replies! I will try to get there sometime in the morning on Friday and see how everything goes =]

Joecool1

srsly though, DO NOT SMELL LIKE ASS! Or else I'm gonna spray body spray at you!
GET ME SOME HOES AND BITCHES AT THE CONS!!

rude32

This year my friends and I decided that anyone we walked by who smelled like ass, we were gonna secretly spray them with some febreze, and also hang up some air fresheners in the elevators.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

shy-cosplayer

Quote from: rude32 on April 08, 2008, 07:53:33 AM
This year my friends and I decided that anyone we walked by who smelled like ass, we were gonna secretly spray them with some febreze, and also hang up some air fresheners in the elevators.

That would actually make them smell even worse

maeiounj39

I am a second time Fanime goer this year. Here are my tips:

One follow the rules of fanime. Really or else they get to you. Don't bring signs unless It doesn't really bring to much akward attentions

Two bring lots of money, cause they have a huge dealer's room. Bigger than any in the Bay area. (of course, cause its the biggest con in the bay area).

Three, beware of fangirls or people who randomly glomp you.

Four, bring pleaty of water or you will dehydrate because u will be walking alot. Even eat too.

Five, Please bath so people wont get sick from you. Even though you are sick, you may have something that some else can get really sick from.

Six, Plushie really attrach people and make you popular. Bring your plushies.

Seven, Bring your camera. It fun when you share memories with other that didn't go.

Eight, of course bring a backpack to put everything in. You will drop alot of things

Nine, print out schedules on your computer couple days before the con, plan your day out, and put em on a clipboard. It will help, cause you may miss out on somethings if you don't really plan ahead.

Ten, if your talented at something thats anime related, bring it with you. People will like you. Make sure that its an anime everyone knows about.

Eleven, if you see something that related to what you like go for it. Whether its gatherings, or shopping. Although, I reccommend going to a variety of events to make more of your experiences at a con.

Twelve, If anything random goes on such as someone hiding behind your back, video tape it.

Thirteen, Pre register always. Last year the line was huge, but if your amvist, you can get it faster. I am in fact an amvist. Last year, I got in with a free badge, but I am not sure about this year.

Fourteen, always cosplay. Its part of the fun at anime cons. Even though your not part of a contest, you can still do alot of things. It does not have to be anime related, but I don't reccommend everyone to nonanime cosplay. You can even be elmo to scare everyone off.

And lastly fifteen, Have Fun!!

Moonblossom

Quote from: rude32 on April 08, 2008, 07:53:33 AM

Please don't :/ Some people are -very- sensitive to chemical air fresheners. BO may not be pleasant, but it's also usually not life-threatening. If I get stuck in an enclosed space with one of those, my throat closes up and I could choke to death if I don't get an injection in time.

Chocolate Lover

My tips:

1. Figure out a budget for each day and stick to it! You don't want to be broke by Saturday afternoon.

2. Don't be an impulsive buyer. Another dealer may have the same item for less.

3. Bring your own food and drink. Convention prices are outrageous.

4. Go to Wal-Mart and buy your own Japanese snacks. Don't buy Pocky from the dealer's room.

LT

outside of the con what are others places that would be good to go to (in san jose thats close to the convention) other than japantown?i know there is a kinokuniya but my knowledge of san jose is limited.

Nyxyin

Quote from: maeiounj39 on April 10, 2008, 04:29:06 PMFour, bring pleaty of water or you will dehydrate because u will be walking alot.
The convention usually leaves out some water bottles or pitchers if you know where to look, but the water seems to be filled from the San Jose tap (which I can identify because I think it tastes nasty), so I bring my own bottled water.  Just be warned that lugging enough water for even one day gets very heavy and bulky, and it majorly sucks if a bottle should rupture or spill all over your new anime purchases.

Quote from: Chocolate Lover on April 10, 2008, 08:45:06 PM1. Figure out a budget for each day and stick to it! You don't want to be broke by Saturday afternoon.
I think it needs to be more flexible than a budget.  I'd recommend setting a daily minimum aside in a separate area.  For example, I keep $40/day separate from the rest of my money inside the inner pocket of my purse.  That way, if I lose my wallet (or if I really want to spend everything in my wallet for some must-have item in the dealers' room on Friday), I will still be able to buy enough food to eat and enough gas to drive home at the end of each day.  No matter how tempting, I do not spend that money on anything except for food and fuel.  This makes sure I have enough money to take care of myself while giving me the flexibility to also "blow a wad of cash" if something worthwhile comes up.

Quote2. Don't be an impulsive buyer. Another dealer may have the same item for less.
I used to walk through the dealers' room once before I buy anything.  However, there was one year when that was all it took for all of the cute plushies I wanted to sell out from every booth.  So, I think it depends on the item.  If it's a normal US release of a DVD or manga that you can easily get off of Amazon or RightStuf, then shop around.  Otherwise, if it's something rare (such as something imported or limited edition) and you know you really want it, go for it!  It might not be there when you circle back around.

Quote3. Bring your own food and drink. Convention prices are outrageous.
And make sure what you bring is worth the weight and bulk.  Nuts or trail mixes tend to keep well and pack a lot of nutrition.  Same with hard-boiled eggs if you don't peel them until you're ready to eat them.  (Eggs are also cheap for the amount of nutrition.)  Nutrition/energy bars and jerkies also tend to have a lot of nutrition for the amount of space they take up in the backpack.  (To keep with the Asian culture theme, try some dried squid and fruity/strawberry beef jerky.  I think they have better texture and taste than normal American meat jerkies.)  Trader Joes has a few dried fruits without sulfur for dessert.

Quote4. Go to Wal-Mart and buy your own Japanese snacks. Don't buy Pocky from the dealer's room.
Frankly, I'd recommend against using Pocky for food.  It's great fun and entertainment, and it's wonderful for socializing, but it's not food.  Don't eat a whole box of Pocky yourself, and don't eat Pocky when you're hungry.

Quote from: sweet_milk_tea on April 11, 2008, 09:49:04 PM
outside of the con what are others places that would be good to go to (in san jose thats close to the convention) other than japantown?i know there is a kinokuniya but my knowledge of san jose is limited.
Were you looking for Japanese stuff in particular?  Otherwise, I personally think The Tech Museum is worth visiting once, and it's within walking distance of the convention.

LT

BrightHeart76

Don't forget to let loose and have fun.  Planning for everything is great, but if there's something else going on that looks like fun, go do it.  You never know what's going to pop up unexpectedly and be the best part of your con experience. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

shy-cosplayer

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. This is really going to help!

=]]]