Beachside Summer Gathering '08 [Planning Stages]

Started by Spiritsnare, March 31, 2008, 11:06:08 PM

Spiritsnare

So, as that last topic was more or less shot down due to the iffiness of having high school kids with some twenty-and-thirty-year-old somethings at the beach (sorry, Chibblz!), I'm making a thread for a different, less restrictive venue, in a different timeslot: July, after Anime Expo. (If you're still up for doing the June beach gathering, though: by all means, keep on posting in that thread!) Anyway, here's the unecessarily-formatted prep post as always:

[ it's not raging waters anymore! ]

(art by range murata oh my god you have no idea how hard it was for me to not use konomi yuzuhara)

Current Agenda
where + when

Where?
suggest something
current ideas: monterey, carmel-by-the-sea, santa cruz beach boardwalk

When?
suggest something in july, after anime expo '08

Who?
you could be in this list
epic progressive

vox

RyuHayabusa

I'm down for Carmel/Monterey and yeah, June sounds good or after anime expo, since i'm not going to that con. Might as well start talking about this. I have my vacation week during the week of the 4th of July, so we can probably organize it before the 4th cause the 4th will be busy down there.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Shinsengumi

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on March 31, 2008, 11:40:59 PM
I'm down for Carmel/Monterey and yeah, June sounds good or after anime expo, since i'm not going to that con. Might as well start talking about this. I have my vacation week during the week of the 4th of July, so we can probably organize it before the 4th cause the 4th will be busy down there.

Let me know of you come down so we head to monterey since I'm close to there.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

ININ

Aww, no Raging Waters *cries*  I was planning to enter the park wearing a wet suit.  Oh, well.  That's OK XD  Beach is good.

kimu

If it's not an event just for High Schoolers (and high schoolers having an event just for their age group is perfectly fine),
and if you are coming to the Carmel/Monterey area, then I'd love to know because those beaches are not far from where I live.
Sounds like it could be fun!

edendreams

Quote from: ININ on April 01, 2008, 03:58:14 PM
Aww, no Raging Waters *cries*  I was planning to enter the park wearing a wet suit.  Oh, well.  That's OK XD  Beach is good.

HAha you could wear it to the beach too y'know XD

Isn't this idea just a excuse to see girls run around in skimpy bathing suits?

hehe well... i think pacifica would be ncie but the rocks are a bit troublesome. I know a private beach area below the boardwalk (slight drive) but you can do campfires on the beach and it's cleaner water

a little art by me ^-^

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: edendreams on April 01, 2008, 08:29:38 PM
Quote from: ININ on April 01, 2008, 03:58:14 PM

HAha you could wear it to the beach too y'know XD

Isn't this idea just a excuse to see girls run around in skimpy bathing suits?

hehe well... i think pacifica would be ncie but the rocks are a bit troublesome. I know a private beach area below the boardwalk (slight drive) but you can do campfires on the beach and it's cleaner water

South of Santa Cruz right? I've seen a lot of state beaches around that area from looking at the maps. I've always wanted to check that area out as well. It can be a fun trip lol
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Spiritsnare

Quote from: edendreams on April 01, 2008, 08:29:38 PMIsn't this idea just a excuse to see girls run around in skimpy bathing suits?

YOU KNOW IT Well we've sorta had this idea for the past two years in the form of the Raging Waters gathering, and  gatherings lately have started shifting into sausagefests, so that's a moot point...that, and the fact that guys in skimpy bathing suits usually look questionable.
epic progressive

vox

edendreams

Quote from: Spiritsnare on April 01, 2008, 09:20:45 PM
Quote from: edendreams on April 01, 2008, 08:29:38 PMIsn't this idea just a excuse to see girls run around in skimpy bathing suits?

YOU KNOW IT Well we've sorta had this idea for the past two years in the form of the Raging Waters gathering, and  gatherings lately have started shifting into sausagefests, so that's a moot point...that, and the fact that guys in skimpy bathing suits usually look questionable.

depends... if the guy actually looks decent in one .... XD but lol you'd catch me in a skirted one piece I'm so old fashioned XD

a little art by me ^-^

Barnes

I'm up for anything, so long as I don't get stranded.  :P
*Grabs a shovel for treasure digging*
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

otakuapprentice

they're almost always complete sausagefests, LOL.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Sunara Ishi

I'm up for either or both of these if they happen. >.<
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Spiritsnare

Quote from: edendreams on April 01, 2008, 11:01:14 PM

depends... if the guy actually looks decent in one .... XD but lol you'd catch me in a skirted one piece I'm so old fashioned XD

1. unFortunately, we don't exactly have the means to figure out how good us dudes look in skimpy bathing suits. I've a Speedo, but that's from when I used to swim, like, what, five years ago?
2. I like one-pieces...but that's just me.
epic progressive

vox

mDuo13

Eh, the beach is so cold that you have a pretty plausible excuse not to wear a swimsuit and go in. So girls who aren't confident with how they look in a swimsuit should be happy it's at the beach.

The upsides to having our summer gathering at the beach: it costs less than Raging Waters and we don't have to plan out who buys tickets where and when. Also, the group doesn't have to be divided into parkgoers and non-parkgoers.

The downsides: transportation is way more complicated. Driving home from Raging Waters at night is nothing. But driving home from Santa Cruz involves crossing Highway 17 in the dark... not so fun. And Monterey or Carmel are getting even farther away, though not as rough a drive.

I think Carmel is a little too upscale for our type of crowd. The Boardwalk seems like the most obvious choice, but Monterey could definitely be fun.

As for the date: in the past, we've found that Saturday is usually the best day of the week for a gathering, since fewer people have to ask for days off of work / summer school, and various other reasons. Saturdays in July are the 5th, the 12th, the 19th, and the 26th. Obviously, the 5th would be a zoo and that's also the weekend of AX, so that leaves us with 3 choices (unless lots of people would rather go on a different day of the week).

Tsubasa

-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Jerry

only because beachboardwalk and raging waters are SO two years ago.

you know that spice is the variety of life...

er or something like that.  ???
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Sunara Ishi

One day... just for the hell of it, I want to get one of those really old fashioned one-piece body type suits. Pre-50s style.
Just to be a freak and possibly freak people out.
I'll have to get a matching hair piece and act really old-fashioned and surprised at all the skimpy outfits like I've time traveled. XP
The dress ones would be cool also but that's just clothes so its kinda silly.
Maybe one based on that style would be cool. XD

I dunno if I particularly care to see men in speedos. I'm probably more of a swim trunks kind of gal.

We should try to build a giant sandcastle. XP
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Kazuko

I would love to go to the beach x: i has a two peice which is super cute

I really would kill for a coture 50's pin-up girl swimsuit they are so cuute but so expensive D:

felicity869

Santa Cruz Boardwalk-Just like a Raging Waters gathering, it ends up being two seperate gatherings in one: those that want to actually go to the beach and those that want to just go on rides (with a third group having no intentions of leaving the arcade at any point).

Santa Cruz area- lots of good beaches, easily located.

Monterey- lots of nice beaches, the aquarium is a lot of fun but I doubt everyone would want to/be able to affoard to go.

Carmel-Seriously, what would we do? Carmel is a romantic getaway. It's good for couples, golfers and shopaholics with too much money. Other than eat seafood, drink wine and spend lots of money of cutesy shops, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do here.

I'll go where ever the group wants to go, I love the beach. I can fit 3 other people in my car comfortable, 4 legally. To anyone that has had the misfortune of driving with me in the past: I'm much better at driving over 17 nowadays, promise. :)

mDuo13

Quote from: Sunara Ishi on April 02, 2008, 09:27:03 PMWe should try to build a giant sandcastle. XP
Yes. Yes we should. Harkening back to my childhood, building gigantic sandcastles is my favorite thing to do at the beach.
Look at how I spent my freshman year.