to applique or not to applique that is the question

Started by senritsu, April 01, 2008, 03:46:13 PM

senritsu

so i want to make this outfit
but i cant find the fabric with the leaves on it
should i draw the leaves on with fabric markers
or should i sew the leaves on?

or is there yet another option that i hadnt thought of?

This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy.

SpookyElectric

Silkscreening!

But, if you're interested in a simpler approach, you could just make a stencil and paint them on. I'm not sure exactly what sort of clothing that is, but the informal look would make applique seem out of place.

BunofGovt

I would use fabric markers or fabric paint to make the leaf pattern.  That isn't the lining for the kimono, is it? Would you have to do a lot of marking?  Stencils or if you can fashion something like a sponge in that outline (not a sponge, but like a stamp where you have the imprint, dip or brush it with fabric paint and then stamp the design on the material).

yay, you're cosplaying as Tenma-kun!  There was talk of a Shojo-Beat gathering but I don't see it on the official Cosplay Gatherings list so I don't know if it's still on.  But I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you!  :D
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

luckyends

i would say fabric marker jsut cause aplique would take a long time and also fabric paint would get crunchy and uncomfortable
atleast i think so
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

hellangel

i say no to applique. because it's clearly not 3D. silkscreening, if you can do it, otherwise make a stencil and use that fabric paint spray thing you can get at jo-ann's. then you can do the gradient smoother. otherwise, you can paint it by hand.

OR (i just thought of this) you can put the fabric paint on a tray in the way it's gradiented (is that a word??) and get a leaf-shaped sponge and STAMP the leaves on the fabric...hmmmm
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX