Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike tourney

Started by shinjiboy, April 02, 2008, 07:03:01 AM

shinjiboy

Hi, I'm very excited about this upcoming tourney held by fanime.  It's among my favorite fighting game and I just want to see what kind of competitors are out there.  I play @ SU at State.  If you go there too, let me know.  We can play a few practice games.

Favorite player to watch: J
Preferred character: Makoto

(To steal something from Youtube comments): Gorilla hands FTW!!!

PyronIkari

J doesn't play anymore really though. His old vids were awesome, but yeah. I dunno, Yamazaki is best player to watch, just because no one can play like him. It's just crazy to watch. RX is probably the next best to watch for me. Just because I actually got to play him at A-Cho when I visited Japan last. Watching his hands and comparing with the screen, it doesn't make sense. All of his movements seem so random but they all add up to something. Tapping down 10 times only for a perfectly timed charge partition head butt into unblockable. It's just... weird.

buzzsaw13

I play in the SU at SJSU a lot. I play a bunch of random ass characters, lately Alex has been who I've been using.

KO using Makoto with SAIII is epic lulz

takkun

Quote from: buzzsaw13 on April 02, 2008, 11:07:30 PM
I play in the SU at SJSU a lot. I play a bunch of random ass characters, lately Alex has been who I've been using.

KO using Makoto with SAIII is epic lulz

LOL, freaking Tanden Renki.  XD
But J is famous for double perfecting Kokujin that one time.  That was nuts @__@

I'm excited too, but it's on console and I don't have a stick!  =<  I like watching Aruka(I'm an Ibuki player), some of the stuff he does is just unthinkable... to me anyway.  :P  Also, the set of matches between Daigo vs Jwong will always be a classic.

shinjiboy

Yeah, I show all my friends that are new to the game the match between Daigo and Justin Wong.  It's just insane.

It's too bad you don't have a stick for the DC.  Most people don't.  And there, it'll be my strategy for winning this tournament. :)

PyronIkari

Quote from: shinjiboy on April 17, 2008, 10:19:19 PM
Yeah, I show all my friends that are new to the game the match between Daigo and Justin Wong.  It's just insane.

It's too bad you don't have a stick for the DC.  Most people don't.  And there, it'll be my strategy for winning this tournament. :)

Uh... tournament won't be on DC... unless they *WANT* to play a crappy port of the game. PS2 AC version is pretty close to arcade perfect, why would they choose the crappy DC version?

shinjiboy

I'll pretend I'm not offended by the DC bashing.

Anyway, a few weeks back I checked and it said that it would be hosted on the DC.  But I just checked right now and there isn't even a SFIII tourney up.

And that makes me sad.

PyronIkari

Quote from: shinjiboy on April 18, 2008, 06:10:15 PM
I'll pretend I'm not offended by the DC bashing.

Anyway, a few weeks back I checked and it said that it would be hosted on the DC.  But I just checked right now and there isn't even a SFIII tourney up.

And that makes me sad.

Wait... you seriously think the DC version is good? Yun properties are pretty different, hit confirms are totally different for a couple of characters, Chun gets screwed with her hit confirm. Kara's are different, Urien gets raped in the DC version, Dudley hit differences...

Yeah... DC version is totally better -_-.

There is a 3s tourney, but really... if it's not PS2 version, then there's really no point. It'd be like using XBLA version of hyper fighting.

Mizuki

lolwut, DC 3s? That shit is garbage. IIRC it's based off of the Ver.B board of 3s which is utter crap and no one plays it.

Lol @ XBLA HF

kay0ss

Yeah, Yamazaki is sick.

YAMACHAN IN THE WORLD

Anyway, yeah, PS2 version or I definitely won't be entering :|

Dancing Lanza

still noobish but totally love the game~
been playing over an year anyway~
fave chars: Alex, Makoto and Yang
http://www.cosspace.com/DancingLanza
www.myspace.com/dancingL

I GOT A WEBCAM!! Hit me up on AIM if interested =D
or MSN~

Mizuki

Back when I cared for 3s I enjoyed watching Kokujin, he was my inspirtation per se for Dudley, I even used his pink color. But this last SBO RX turned it up and brought hella hype to the live feed. He's awesome.

Arjuna

Anyone have any idea who the Asian guy with the brown hair was? Him and his buddies kept camping the Third Strike arcade for new people, it was pretty funny. We wanted to play them on PS2 but not one single person brought it.

PyronIkari

That Chun player? I dunno, he was kinda cool though. We talked a bit and I kept giving him tips for Chun. I kept getting bored of 3s because I kept playing the same like 5 people over and over again.

It's kind of sad though, that the best player there was a girl that knew how to use a decent majority of the cast. She's there every year. A few decent players, but I find it disheartening when I'm still getting 20+ streaks when I've played once in the past 8 months.

JTchinoy

Are you referring to Lexus from SJSU?
She's the only girl I know who can play 3s decently.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: Arjuna on May 29, 2008, 04:56:50 AM
Anyone have any idea who the Asian guy with the brown hair was? Him and his buddies kept camping the Third Strike arcade for new people, it was pretty funny. We wanted to play them on PS2 but not one single person brought it.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk151/FANIME08a/DSCF0433.jpg
That's my good friend Geoff and I think he entered the tournament which, correct me if I'm wrong, was on PS2.

Quote from: PyronIkariIt's kind of sad though, that the best player there was a girl that knew how to use a decent majority of the cast. She's there every year. A few decent players, but I find it disheartening when I'm still getting 20+ streaks when I've played once in the past 8 months.
Indeed that's my girl Lex, we generally play 3S and CvS2.

Quote from: JTchinoyAre you referring to Lexus from SJSU?
She's the only girl I know who can play 3s decently.
Ex-SJSU Student, she graduated recently, hooray  ;D.

----
We all came together and spent a majority of our time in the Arcade, especially on 3S (Myself/Akuma/Random, Lex/Ryu/Random and Geoff/Ken/Chun), see ya next year  ;).

JTchinoy

oh you're the bf? haha, i see you with her but i never spoke to you before. :P
grats to lexus! i guess i won't see her around the arcade now. :(

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

OniCourseMusha

I hang out wit YMH, Lex and the crew at cons or sometimes around the SF.  Yes Lex will own my ass on 3rd strike any day.  Need to get back into 3rd strike.  JESSE AND LEX, TEACH ME!!!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand