Grand Theft Auto 4

Started by Kazuya Mitsubishi, April 03, 2008, 07:14:17 PM

Kazuya Mitsubishi

Will GTA4 be available to play anywhere? It has multiplayer now, so that could create some interesting events.

Kazuya Mitsubishi

Surely this cannot be. GTA4 has quite an anticipated full-free-roam 16 person multiplayer, and yet no one is interested?

TC X0 Lt 0X

I really don't see how the multiplayer could create "interesting events".

And also, I'm guessing your asking if there is going to be any GTA4 at Fanime, in which case, as far as I know, there isn't, and probably wont.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Kazuya Mitsubishi

How wouldn't free-roam multiplayer be interesting?

And why automatically assume it won't be available? As far as I can tell from a brief peek around here, every other popular multiplayer game of whatever such genre has been brought up and has gotten fair attention. Why would this, one of the most anticipated games (and its multiplayer feature itself), be treated as some lesser bargain-bin game that's unworthy of mentioning?

Surely having games of cops n robbers (or any of the many other modes) would be highly entertaining.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well in San Andreas, they did have 2 Player events, and Saints row also had multiplayer, so while GTA4 Multiplayer is going to be OVER ALL better than that, I dont find it to be new or exciting.

Also, While it may have multiplayer, it doesn't seem to be very traditional. Now I dont no any details about the multiplayer, but as far as I know, the multiplayer will take place in the game world itself. This would mean that the entire city could be used to hide, and matchs can (and probably will) last Forever. Multiplayer wise, matchs need to be quick, and for completive play, they need to be a skill based game.

Now "I" don't mean to hate on GTA4, but "I" personally don't see it as a game that fanime will offer.

BTW, Im not assuming really, I just don't expect it to be.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

zemric

i dont think we will i will check with richard the head, but i just dont foresee it ass good. pluss its kinda really violante to play for the public so i just dont see how we can justify it. but i will ask
2007 attendee
2008 egaming
2009 stage zero
2010 pc gaming "head"

Kazuya Mitsubishi

It wouldn't be any more violent than CoD4, or Halo, or Tekken, or Team Fortress, etc..

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Kazuya Mitsubishi on April 16, 2008, 04:04:10 PM
It wouldn't be any more violent than CoD4, or Halo, or Tekken, or Team Fortress, etc..

Yes, Oh hell yes, it can.

But not only is it violence, but its also the Sexual Content.
Besides, there are far more people that are outraged with The GTA Series than Halo.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Kazuya Mitsubishi

Nope, it's not any more violent. Punching, kicking and shooting can only get so violent. Blood and gore, on the other hand, is different. But again, it wouldn't be any more than what Halo may have.
Why would the violence need to be a double standard? Street Fighter, Halo, Team Fortress, etc are all packed with violence. Why would this be different?

I don't see why you would need to mention "people" being "outraged". What does that have to do with seeing the multiplayer available to play at fanime? I didn't realize fanime was a gathering of strict political, over-protective and over-exaggerated parents (or certain psycho lawyers. :P )

Some people are also outraged with hentai. Does fanime not carry display rooms for such content, far more sexual than what GTA would have?

otakuapprentice

fighting atop a steel girder, above the city.

epic battle right there.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well you don't see Halo or Street fighter games allowing you to go get a hooker, have sex with her, than kill her.

And GTA is MUCH more graphic than those games. Lets go Murder that woman over there, lets go kill that police officer, lets go kill that guy, etc, etc.And before you say anything, yes, in shooters you can kill people. But the Mentality, mood, and depiction of a game like GTA is far more violent than most shooters.

Now content aside, GTA4 hasn't come out yet. The Series has a following, but that of fans don't play the game every day to perfect to improve there skills. It comes out like a month before Fanime. Sense it doesn't have a Hardcore multiplayer following, I doubt anyone would have a tournament for it within the first month (much less Fanime, who are having trouble getting antiquate prizes for its Tornys). And as far as i see it, the Cops'n'Robbers in the game is really just a extra. The game isn't built around the the CnR game, its built around the story and the ability to play in the game world with friends, and that will mainly lead to murdering every person the players see in the street (you know, playing GTA the way people usely do).

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

zemric

let me say one thing about the hentai rooms. they check ID on the games we don't and anyone can just walk up and watch that has a badge.
2007 attendee
2008 egaming
2009 stage zero
2010 pc gaming "head"

Kazuya Mitsubishi

The character being killed doesn't make it any more GRAPHIC. It's no different than killing a spartan, or an alien. Plus, the 16 person multiplayer would be focused on murdering each other, not the civilians, just like every other game.

The game isn't built around CnR, but the multiplayer is. Halo isn't built around CTF, but the multiplayer is. Catch my drift?
You mentioned skill twice. Is that really a requirement? That the game must have a certain skill the player needs to gain? Skill goes into every game, even GTA.
If Fanime will only take games that require skill, then they should remove the vast majority of the gaming area.

I don't see why there's so much objection. This is the gaming forum. This isn't the gaming-that-needs-to-meet-specific-standards-or-else-it-can't-be-featured forum.

Also, about the ID thing... if you're suggesting GTA warrants an ID check, then what about Halo? They're both rated M.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well Im done explaining to you about the difference in the grafic content.

Also, while GTA is built around the story, games like Halo and Street Fighter are built around there multiplayer.

Now skill being a requirement, for tournaments yes, theres no point to hold a tournament for a game that is based not based on skill.
As for just fun free play, no skill is not a requirement. I'd be okay with seeing GTA4, just not for a tornament.

BTW, Im not against GTA at Fanime, I just really doubt it will happen, and stating why.

But the best WE can do is just wait and see. maybe it will be at Fanime.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Kazuya Mitsubishi

It would seem I was the one explaining the differences in graphic content.

Doesn't matter. Again, is there some requirement that states the game can't be built around a story if its multiplayer will be featured?

I never said anything about tournaments. I'm just curious if we can expect to play GTA at all.
You're the only one going on about tournaments.  :-\

Well, you see, the reasons you stated weren't logical. So far, your reasons behind it have been:

1. The game would require skill (again, all games require skill. Especially one with so many options available to the player. Otherwise, Halo shouldn't be featured either.  :) )

2. People are "outraged" with the GTA series. I didn't realize people at fanime were so close minded.

3. The classic, 7 year old line of "you can have sex with hookers, and kill them." Which holds no relevance to multiplayer gameplay.

You seem very against it, since again, you haven't given any logical reasons why it wouldn't be available and you've used lines that Jack Thompson would use. You don't seem to have an official say, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't bog down this topic any further. :-\ It's just a game.

kjcwashere

the game doesnt have split screen multiplayer

only Online multiplayer is confirmed

asuka245

We  will not be running GTA4 in the E-gaming room this year cause it is a Rated M title.Most likely next year cause it has to have it's own room like COD4,Halo 3.

aka people of the age of 17 can only be in the room and a ID check is required.

Sorry these games just have mature people. 17+
Been attending fanime since 99!
Been a fanime Staff since 2000-2007
Video programming--2000-2005
E-gaming--2006-2007
Fanime Con E-Gaming Head for 08,09

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: asuka245 on April 21, 2008, 01:35:50 PM
We  will not be running GTA4 in the E-gaming room this year cause it is a Rated M title.Most likely next year cause it has to have it's own room like COD4,Halo 3.

aka people of the age of 18 can only be in the room and a ID check is required.

Sorry these games just have mature people. 18+

Shouldn't it be 17+ instead of 18+ for M rated games? 17-year-olds are legally allowed to buy M rated games.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

asuka245

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 21, 2008, 05:20:31 PM
Quote from: asuka245 on April 21, 2008, 01:35:50 PM

aka people of the age of 18 can only be in the room and a ID check is required.

Sorry these games just have mature people. 18+

Shouldn't it be 17+ instead of 18+ for M rated games? 17-year-olds are legally allowed to buy M rated games.

yeah u have a point.
Been attending fanime since 99!
Been a fanime Staff since 2000-2007
Video programming--2000-2005
E-gaming--2006-2007
Fanime Con E-Gaming Head for 08,09

clawmaster

Today I announce this day to be grand theft Auto 4 day! most awsome game right now for xbox360 and ps3. I updated this form just to see how much it sold in one day............they are saying its going to outsell halo 3 which made 170 million in one day.

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/