Are all non-anime characters not allowed? No 300? No Cloverfield?

Started by TechnoViking, April 03, 2008, 07:25:50 PM

TechnoViking

Hey, I wrote this incredible skit featuring Beowulf (from the recent cgi movie, Beowulf), Leonidas (from 300), the Cloverfield monster/mudkip (from cloverfield), and some guy from Bleach. Throughout the skit there are constant references to stuff like pocky, mudkips, chris crocker's "leave britney alone," etc. and btw and all of the characters are otakus themselves, one of whom is a serious witchblade anime fanboy.

Now I thought that featuring characters as iconic in gamer culture as Leonidas(everybody knows "THIS IS SPARTA!"), and the Cloverfield monster(our american homage to japanese monster films), and cgi Beowulf would be enough, but now I am having my doubts.

Can anyone tell me whether my skit can still work? Ive been working out every week-day before school for the past 2 months so I can be Beowulf, and Ive written a skit which Ive shown to many people who told me it was grand-prize-winner material, plz dont tell me that was all in vain!

Well, it could be worse, but can anybody answer my question???

heeroyuy135

We don't discriminate when it comes to hallway cosplay (we had 300 cosplay last year), but you should send this question to [email protected] and have the Masquerade people answer it.

Mister_E

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on April 03, 2008, 09:58:27 PM
We don't discriminate when it comes to hallway cosplay (we had 300 cosplay last year), but you should send this question to [email protected] and have the Masquerade people answer it.
Yeah, We also had the Monarch's Henchmen from Venture Brothers Show up.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

K&K4ever

I don't see why they would discriminate against you, but you should check, just in case.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

SweetNiar

Quote from: Mister_E on April 03, 2008, 10:00:38 PM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on April 03, 2008, 09:58:27 PM
Yeah, We also had the Monarch's Henchmen from Venture Brothers Show up.

Haha! I remember them...i took their picture when i was checking out whats happening on stage zero.  Also after I saw the Swifer Ninja there too ^_^

TechnoViking

I already tried emailing, with some different questions however, but still i never got a response. Who else should i contact?

Rules aside, would this skit with a very stupid looking cloverfield monster (that resembles a cross between pac man and an angry mudkip), a leonidas with hand drawn abs, and a Beowulf who acts alot more like freakazoid(the best cartoon ever) seem like a crowd pleaser? What do you think?

Mister_E

Quote from: TechnoViking on April 03, 2008, 10:26:04 PM
I already tried emailing, with some different questions however, but still i never got a response. Who else should i contact?

Rules aside, would this skit with a very stupid looking cloverfield monster (that resembles a cross between pac man and an angry mudkip), a leonidas with hand drawn abs, and a Beowulf who acts alot more like freakazoid(the best cartoon ever) seem like a crowd pleaser? What do you think?
Their was a Spartian that drew on abs.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

TechnoViking

whut? You mean in the movie meet the spartans? yeah i saw that, thats where i got the idea. The cloverfield monster/mudkip though, and a very uh, comical beowulf, that is going to make things very fun. I alreay wrote the skit, but i keep getting new ideas and keep adding them in.

Now srsly, what do you think of the premise? i needz feedback! and also some source of info i can ask my other question to about whether Beowulf and 300 is allowed.

Mister_E

Quote from: TechnoViking on April 03, 2008, 10:37:22 PM
whut? You mean in the movie meet the spartans? yeah i saw that, thats where i got the idea. The cloverfield monster/mudkip though, and a very uh, comical beowulf, that is going to make things very fun. I alreay wrote the skit, but i keep getting new ideas and keep adding them in.

Now srsly, what do you think of the premise? i needz feedback! and also some source of info i can ask my other question to about whether Beowulf and 300 is allowed.
No no I mean at Fanime last year there was a Spartian with draw on abs and another one with pack of sigs in he speed-o thing and I don't know about feedback it's not everyday you see a Pacman Mudkip combo. And just think on it more if it looks stupid or not, Since no one here has see a *Just going to call in a Packip* then we don't know what to tell you.

TechnoViking

I mean the cloverfield mudkip is supposed to look stupid in that its humorously bad. How can a mudkip look serious? Humorously bad is alot easier than serious as far as costumes go, so ill only have to do a rediculously large set of cardboard jaws with stuff here and there to make it look mudkippian. The costume that will have alot of effort tho will be the leather armor for beowulf, have you seen that movie? Im considering scrapping the usage of Leonidas, he seems a bit overused. You havent seen anyone dress as Beowulf have you?

Mister_E

Nope, Beowulf didn't come out during Fanime last year, I figure it's more of a Comic Con thing.

And you're right I have not seen it, and yes 300 has been over used like 300 times but don't listen to me. Just listen to what others have to say.

TechnoViking

So so you mean that 300 was overused in the masquerade? If so that may mean that I can use Beowulf, unless this years rules are different from last year's. you did mean that there were spartans from 300 in a skit in last year's masquerade right?

Mister_E

No not as the Masquerade not one person if I recalled used it, I mean all over I mean if I have to hear the THIS IS SPRATA remix one more time I will imploded. But hell go ahead do what you want and don't think what others think if their thoughts are negative in every way.

TechnoViking

So if nobody in the masquerade used Leonidas that may mean that there truly is a rule that says only animu characters... I wonder... maybe if i first play Alexander Anderson (From Hellsing)(duh) and transform into Beowulf in the middle of the skit... Dang, if only there werent so many rules! I just hope i can negotiate with them to let me use Beowulf or leonidas or the cloverfield mudkip.

XpHoBiaX

Well, if you want to do armour, use craftfoam. It's light weight and isn't hard to work with with.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your skit, and try to keep steady with an idea and roll from it. Don't have a lot of things happening becuase that will take away from the overall performance. Have an equal balance of comedy mixed with seriousness.
I also think the masquarade isn't limited to anime characters. But that is just heresay. If you don't get a response, just do continue to do what you are doing.

TechnoViking

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on April 04, 2008, 12:02:44 AM
Well, if you want to do armour, use craftfoam. It's light weight and isn't hard to work with with.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your skit, and try to keep steady with an idea and roll from it. Don't have a lot of things happening becuase that will take away from the overall performance. Have an equal balance of comedy mixed with seriousness.
I also think the masquarade isn't limited to anime characters. But that is just heresay. If you don't get a response, just do continue to do what you are doing.

thx, im planning on using nagahide or faux-leather, cuz beowulf wears leather armor, y'see. I already have one script just about perfected, and its less than 2 minutes long. But its just the whole matter of whats allowed or isnt allowed thats confusing me. If im allowed to have my skit as-is, compared to some skits ive seen from previous fanimes on youtube, its gonna be incredible. But srsly, lots of ppl use lipsyncing, why?

emyr

XpHoBiaX

lipsynching is used becuase they can't remember their lines or don't have time to practice. Or their voice doesn't sound like the character they are cosplaying.
o_o In my opinion.

angeljibrille

I did reply to this; the answer is no.

The Masquerade is for anime, manga, and anime-style video games (Kingdom Hearts NOT World of Warcraft).

This is, after all, an anime convention. The skit you describe would be more suited to ComicCon, or some of the Sci-Fi cons.

If you want to do this skit featuring all anime characters, I don't care ^_^; you can use music and themes from stuff like Cloverfield, but it needs to feature anime, manga, and anime-style video games costumes and characters.

As far as the convention itself goes-- you are welcome to cosplay as anything you wish, from Spartans to Harry Potter to Elves to World of Warcraft. The Masquerade, however, has limited spots and we need to set up limitations.

Jun-Watarase

Even if you had been allowed to do this skit, and while you still would get some laughs out of some /b/tards (the ones without standards, lol. standards? /b/tards?) all those memes... mudkips, 300, Chris Crocker, and the like are just severely abused and overused. :U

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com