I'm so stuck on this ID thing

Started by bluayu, April 04, 2008, 02:51:55 AM

bluayu

I PROBABLY won't have problems with this next year because I plan to get a permit in the summer but I face a HUGE problem. I'm sixteen and this is my first anime convention. Ever. I'm going with a friend whose eighteen and but my problem is...I can't afford an ID from the DMV (I'm basically separating glass, platic, and cans to get spare money for my shared hotel fee and extra money for Fanime as it is) and I have no passport because I've never traveled in my life. So basically, I think I'm stuck and already pre-registered. I have a social security card but I don't think that would help now would it? -flops-
*~BluAyu~*

"私ーたちはキーラです。。。。"
We are the Kira...

Moonblossom

Can you possibly explain to your parents that it's something practical to have at all times and if anything should ever happen to you it'll help you have ID no matter where you are? Focus on things other than Fanime, because a legal government ID is really always a good thing to have, and maybe they'll help you pay for it?

bluayu

The thing is-they already paid for registration for me to go before this rule was in effect (it wasn't until November that we were notified of government IDs...ne? Because everyone said I'd be just fine with a school ID that it's how things worked last year. So I pre-registered in October and never really checked back for anything more assuming that the rules were the same as when I pre-registered and didn't find out until just now...T_T)... So basically as a birthday present to me my parents paid for my Fanime badge-they said after that I was on my own and had to earn hotel fee, food, stuffs...>_>;; I have no idea how much my recyling money is gonna leave me with. -stressed- So much for a first convention experience...:-/
*~BluAyu~*

"私ーたちはキーラです。。。。"
We are the Kira...

SweetNiar

Its $23 for a California ID...and it will take a few weeks (they say about 60 days but it could be less).  You can go apply for one now at the DMV and you might get it in time for Fanime, but in case you dont you might want to send a mess to Fanime's way and explain your situation to them and see what can be done.  Maybe your receipt for paying for your registration AND your school ID could work as an emergency plan?? Im unsure ^_^

bluayu

Yeah possibly. This is really a difficult situation for someone like me. Usually highschoolers don't have their ID Cards unless they drive. For everything else they use their student ID or social security number but even that now a days in on a school ID card so..>_> It would be kind of pointless for me to have it for anything else considering I'd only need it for Fanime and that's it until I'm able to drive and have more freedoms when I'm eighteen...
*~BluAyu~*

"私ーたちはキーラです。。。。"
We are the Kira...

SweetNiar

well im 25 and im too poor to have a car right now and wont for a good while so i have a californian ID that i only use for situations like this and if i get carded for booze :D

But get one some time this week and you just might get it in time.  This thread informs people of your situation http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,8946.0.html and the person who started it is more informed about this than i am.  So if you have any more questions concerning this you can post it there and she can help ^_^

Also i saw it on the FAQ for badge pick up and it said that its not impossible to pick your badge up without an ID but it would be a longer process.  FYI in case you end up with no acceptable form of ID

bluayu

Yay! Thank you guys for all your help! <3 I'll TRY getting one since my friend's I think going to try to help me out tho...I hate being indebted tho...Grah. It wouldn't hurt to try though...I just hope they don't give me too much hassle at the DMV...

I'm underaged. XP So basically having an ID card would be for this only...I saw that too...hmmm it's kind vague though.

I hope it's not impossible for me to attend Fanime though. I've been wanting to attend a convention for years but never really had an excuse to until I became anime club/Japanese club president at my school. I want to show people that it's possible to go no matter what age and also kind of represent...-is a dork- I just think it would be a good experience for me to get out into the world as well.
*~BluAyu~*

"私ーたちはキーラです。。。。"
We are the Kira...

BrightHeart76

Sorry to sound mean, but I've read your posts on both threads and you're sounding like a real jerk about this.  I'm sorry if this all comes as a surprise to you, but you really do need ID for a lot of different situations.  Ever plan to work?  Cause if so you're going to need an ID.  Also, the hotel may require ID when you check in.  Contact the hotel for more information on that.  As far as ID at fanime, have you even bothered to e-mail the registration staff with your question?  They'll have the official answers.  (Please don't answer these questions here, they are just things for you to think about) 

This is not the time to be whiney on the forums about "oh poor me I don't have ID" it's time to be proactive and solve the problem.  The cost of an ID isn't much, babysit once or twice and you'll be covered.  Wash 5 cars at $5 each, and you'll have an extra $2 to add to your fanime money.  It's time to take control of the situation.

Once again, I'm sorry to sound mean.  I hope everything works out for you.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Rei-Rei

If you have money saved to spend at the dealer's room, or money to eat/stay at a hotel there...
You should have enough money to spare to get an ID... >.>

Or you could owe your parents money and work it off by doing chores afterwards, make a deal with them or something...
Since you've already bought the badge (I assume), you should tell your parents you don't want to waste that 50 dollars you spent on the tickets.

Ntsy

I have almost the same problem, I have a Student Visa/ Alien Certificate of Resident Card...does that count as ID because that's only only ID besides my passport.

Moonblossom

Those are issued by the goverment, and standardized, so I would imagine so. But I'm certainly not on the reg staff so don't take my word.

bluayu

I mean a lot of younger people have support issues. Sure they could get an ID on their own but when they don't know how much they're gonna make from odd jobs (I have no idea HOW much I'm going to have...grah...stupid recycling work...shady and vague-however it helps the enviroment) and getting an appointment ect.ect. showing up ect is a little complicated.

I got an e-mail today from Fanime. School IDs are okay...just need to verify more than you would with a government ID. So I feel like a ton of weights were just lifted off my shoulders. -flops-
*~BluAyu~*

"私ーたちはキーラです。。。。"
We are the Kira...