PC-Gaming..will not happen this year!

Started by asuka245, April 04, 2008, 11:11:15 AM

asuka245

Fanime 2008 will not have PC gaming for this year.
but we are working on finding a solution for next year to bring it back.For next year.
all the pc's for last year where all staff pc's we where using last year..to let u know.
:'(

Been attending fanime since 99!
Been a fanime Staff since 2000-2007
Video programming--2000-2005
E-gaming--2006-2007
Fanime Con E-Gaming Head for 08,09

clawmaster

:/ aww. I wanted to play team fortress 2 but oh well.

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

asuka245

Quote from: clawmaster on April 05, 2008, 09:43:47 AM
:/ aww. I wanted to play team fortress 2 but oh well.
to let u know..we been trying to get valve's ok to let us use there games at fanime but how i understand u have to have internet or it is a no go but u also have to buy copies from valve run at fanime only.how i understand..so it is a pain. 
Been attending fanime since 99!
Been a fanime Staff since 2000-2007
Video programming--2000-2005
E-gaming--2006-2007
Fanime Con E-Gaming Head for 08,09

Chewie

Valve offers Steam in Cyber-Arcade packages to those who would be buying multiple (and large quantity) copies of their games. In those packages they basically sell you every current game and I think (I'll have to check) a certain number of future releases for a fixed price.

You do NOT need to internet in a lan setup like Fanime would be to play any of them however, all the systems being used would have to updated and all setup to run offline beforehand. Among other features and programs that computers in such a huge public environment would need. Also, the internet in such an environment is out of the question. There are a long list of reasons but most of which for this conversation are the ability to download, run and use with very little effort on the part of the user, hacks and cheats for many Valve/Steam games.

Also, I've seen it being talked about in other threads like it was the hardest thing in the world, lanning that many computers is really, really, really easy. You need one hub (most of the inexpensive ones can handle up to 60 computers) and that's it. You don't need a server to make it all work, but a server would be key for running the dedicated servers for the games being played.

While I know it is too late now, there are many Cyber-Arcades in the bay area and surrounding areas. Over the next year maybe someone can talk with some of them and find out if they might want their presence at a future Fanime. That would go a long way with tourneys too. Maybe set it up early enough and contact Nvidia. They like giving out free stuff.

^^

M

For the record, hooking up the PCs for an off-line LAN game (FPS or whatever you guys feel like) could be handled by FanimeCon staff; That was never an issue.

As for next year, FanimeCon will definitely be looking into ideas and ways to re-implement PC gaming into e-gaming. I already see emails about it and I'm not even close to making decisions for them. :P
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

satanic_mechanic

no PC games?!?!?! totally lame.

i disapprove.
"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -HD Thoreau

zemric

ya i wish we could but we need to figure out a way.
2007 attendee
2008 egaming
2009 stage zero
2010 pc gaming "head"

The-O

Bit late now, but maybe people who want to bring their laptops could get together to play.
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

Kaura117

In regards to PC gaming in 2009... anybody else happen to have a Cobalt Flux pad? And PS2->USB converter?

Because, you see, I have a vision. I have a vision of a straight row of computers, a parallel row of pads, and a half-dozen stepmania junkies at a time, stomping out a loud, reverberating staccato across the vast, concrete halls of FanimeCon, resonant with anime and video game tunes, a loud and cacophonous cry of sweat and blood and awesome.

Silent One

Quote from: The-O on May 04, 2008, 03:42:05 AM
Bit late now, but maybe people who want to bring their laptops could get together to play.

That's what I'm doing!!! XD Look for a guy with Melty Blood on a HP labtop. And there, you'll see me!!! Please challenge me on that game. I need some experience with human players. I got sort of bored by playing against people at my school!!!

Tetsuo9999

I have a PS2/PC adapter you guys can use if need be.

Silent One

Quote from: Tetsuo9999 on May 22, 2008, 08:21:15 PM

Cool! Bring some controllers and then it can be a 4 player tag team Melty Blood battle! Still, I wish there was pc gaming this year though. They had some pretty sick games and all in high resolution too!

Tetsuo9999

Quote from: Silent One on May 22, 2008, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: Tetsuo9999 on May 22, 2008, 08:21:15 PM

Cool! Bring some controllers and then it can be a 4 player tag team Melty Blood battle! Still, I wish there was pc gaming this year though. They had some pretty sick games and all in high resolution too!

Just look for the guy with the blue PS2, and I'll let you use it.

AmazingKenchan

Hey, I'll be sure you have something set aside properly for use next year.  Give me some feedback to work with, what I can do for you to make sure things run without a hitch in the future n_n
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

TehGrandPa

where would i start a thread saying ideas for next year?

but if not. might i suggest saying implementing a LAN only setup at the next con? I noticed that there was just so much space in all the rooms to have more than enough computers to get something going.

And yes I did say LAN only. the implementation of adding "internet" can cause nothing but a ruckus. maybe a few will cooperate but w/o the proper setup there will be nothing but abuse.

The LAN does put everyone at a disadvantage as well. you have to have the game. to play the game.

and if you LAN WOW. i've lost respect for you.
~TehGrandPa

AmazingKenchan

As soon as I know a bit more about the forums I'll start one.  I'm hoping this next week's meeting will be very informative for me as to how much improvement we can pull.

I'd like internet in the room, but I do understand your point in keeping PC Gaming at Fanime as an on-site only thing.
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

M

Quote from: TehGrandPa on May 26, 2008, 05:21:32 PMwhere would i start a thread saying ideas for next year?

but if not. might i suggest saying implementing a LAN only setup at the next con? I noticed that there was just so much space in all the rooms to have more than enough computers to get something going.

The problem with PC gaming (vs console gaming) is that it's too expensive to keep up-to-date, not really the internet. With consoles, it's easier to purchase it and then just keep it stored up until con time and people are more willing to loan us their consoles than computers.

We're still looking at what we can do, but a computer network setup (without internet) is definitely do-able and we have enough networking professionals on-staff (that are more than qualified) to take care of it.

TehGrandPa

Quote from: MPLe on May 28, 2008, 04:05:37 PM
Quote from: TehGrandPa on May 26, 2008, 05:21:32 PMwhere would i start a thread saying ideas for next year?

The problem with PC gaming (vs console gaming) is that it's too expensive to keep up-to-date, not really the internet. With consoles, it's easier to purchase it and then just keep it stored up until con time and people are more willing to loan us their consoles than computers.

We're still looking at what we can do, but a computer network setup (without internet) is definitely do-able and we have enough networking professionals on-staff (that are more than qualified) to take care of it.

that's very interesting to know about the console gaming. i ididn't really think much of the management of the consoles.

but as for the computer gaming. the thought of a loan would be absolutely ridiculous. not to mention how much you would have to pay to get a public license for every game that you purchase for the pc's. the way i was thinking was that we could get those that do have pc's gathered in a designated area to have them play games that other people might have. so basically just this LAN environment of which con won't have to get computers. it would only designate it to those who do have one or a laptop.

and just by thinking about it this way. hmmm.... it might not be much of a fanime if there is LAN gaming. it would just separate the pc gaming nerds with people devoted to fanime. i might have to re-think this
~TehGrandPa

M

Quote from: TehGrandPa on May 28, 2008, 05:33:31 PMthat's very interesting to know about the console gaming. i ididn't really think much of the management of the consoles.

but as for the computer gaming. the thought of a loan would be absolutely ridiculous. not to mention how much you would have to pay to get a public license for every game that you purchase for the pc's. the way i was thinking was that we could get those that do have pc's gathered in a designated area to have them play games that other people might have. so basically just this LAN environment of which con won't have to get computers. it would only designate it to those who do have one or a laptop.

and just by thinking about it this way. hmmm.... it might not be much of a fanime if there is LAN gaming. it would just separate the pc gaming nerds with people devoted to fanime. i might have to re-think this

I have seen in the previous years, people with laptops that would hook them up or connect to an online server and play that way. Having a table for laptops would be a great idea though, but I have no idea what would be involved (legally or in terms of convention rules, etc.).

I wouldn't be worried about the licenses, because there are some games that allow you to enter in a 'dummy' CD Key that doesn't let you play online, but enables LAN play. But yes, having people loan us their thousand dollar computers wouldn't be a good idea. :P

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Quote from: MPLe on May 29, 2008, 11:25:37 AM
Quote from: TehGrandPa on May 28, 2008, 05:33:31 PMthat's very interesting to know about the console gaming. i ididn't really think much of the management of the consoles.

I have seen in the previous years, people with laptops that would hook them up or connect to an online server and play that way. Having a table for laptops would be a great idea though, but I have no idea what would be involved (legally or in terms of convention rules, etc.).

I wouldn't be worried about the licenses, because there are some games that allow you to enter in a 'dummy' CD Key that doesn't let you play online, but enables LAN play. But yes, having people loan us their thousand dollar computers wouldn't be a good idea. :P

Do realize, at least from the time I was a staffer myself, from 2002-2007, a good number of the staffers did loan our their personal gaming PC's for use at the 'Con and over the years, we slowly perfected the process. We understood what could happened and at the end, we got lucky (too lucky personally). We also did not hook up any PC, with the exception of a laptop for drivers/patches/emergencies, to the internet, as that can pose a security risk to the systems at the time and we wanted to keep it to a LAN game setup so people can play with/against each other with almost no lag.

I am under consideration to come back to E-Gaming staff to help rebuild a PC section, if my time allows it. I'm not laying any promises down, but its in my thoughts. I'll leave it at that and add more in a future post if need be.
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!