Fanime Gathering Dinner (+21 only)

Started by Chace, April 04, 2008, 10:55:38 PM

Zaku41k

Well I'm 23, and I'd love to hang out with other anime lovers. Sadly I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to that area. If you got some planes please let me know, I'll show up. Btw I'll be there on Sat and Sun.

Squeeky_Moonkin

I think this sounds liek a good idea, especially the 21+. No offense but I would like to meet some more folks around my age. Im feeling old.

Ayanami Rei First Child

I'm 25 and I'm more then happy to come to this. I just tend to hate mornings. Mornings are evil.

I think we should have a rule that ANYONE coming should show either a Credit Card, Bank Card, or some money to decrease the risk of people bailing or free loading.

Kazuko

You do realize that that post is really old and that the OP intended this during fanime and that its over

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Ayanami Rei First Child

Oh whoops. My mistake. I guess I wasn't looking carefully enough at the dates. I thought it was a little more current then that. Oh well huzzah for necromancy in raising this thread from the dead <.<

Although why not have a NEW gathering then? O.o

deonchan

Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Steve.Young

Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: Steve.Young on October 30, 2008, 01:19:59 AM
Quote from: deonchan on October 29, 2008, 05:38:43 PM
So let's start for next year  ;D

Hmm...not a bad idea.
Well there we go! WE should start planning a NEW dinner for Fanime! ^_^

satanic_mechanic

i approve.  this is s good idea - this makes it easier for people in our age demographic to meet each other.  ever since i turned 19, i felt as though i had aged out of the key demographic for fanime - or at least the mode demographic.  I would love to meet people 21 and up, the more mature side of fanime.

im down.
"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -HD Thoreau

HarpB

You would only find disappointment in your hope to find maturity in anime lovers.

Mizuki

Quote from: daiphyer.com on November 17, 2008, 05:57:02 PM
You would only find disappointment in your hope to find maturity in anime lovers.

Fix your sig.

Ayanami Rei First Child

I'd say Anime Fans CAN be quite mature...I think it just depends on the people, and such.

Although I have to say it would be nice to go to a meeting with some of us old foagies...those of us who remember Anime life Before Pokemon.

satanic_mechanic

Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on November 18, 2008, 01:00:07 PM
I'd say Anime Fans CAN be quite mature...I think it just depends on the people, and such.

Although I have to say it would be nice to go to a meeting with some of us old foagies...those of us who remember Anime life Before Pokemon.

... you mean back when manga was chiseled into stone tablets? *dudumching*
"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -HD Thoreau

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on November 20, 2008, 08:23:48 PM

No I mean back when Viz controlled the majority of Manga and charged $16 per manga! Heck even after TokyoPop started selling manga for $5 Viz STILL continued to overcharge for their manga for at least a year or more...

Or how about before there was even Anime on Cartoon Network had less then 5 different animes they showed, one of which was DBZ. Back when DBZ was like the ultimate in Anime Action Series!!

Kazuko

Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on November 21, 2008, 02:12:35 AM
Quote from: satanic_mechanic on November 20, 2008, 08:23:48 PM

No I mean back when Viz controlled the majority of Manga and charged $16 per manga! Heck even after TokyoPop started selling manga for $5 Viz STILL continued to overcharge for their manga for at least a year or more...

Or how about before there was even Anime on Cartoon Network had less then 5 different animes they showed, one of which was DBZ. Back when DBZ was like the ultimate in Anime Action Series!!
Obviously you didnt get the joke there

but I would have to agree most older fanime fans arent so mature, for the most the older ones I have known usually are socialy akward and always brought their laptops or whatever. Or they would just talk about anime rather than a decent subject like fashion or current events there are a few anime fans that are older that do have a stable lifestyle and dont have anime take over their lives :T kinda like a decent balance besides I like to talk about other things rather than anime like lolita fashion for instance or music

so Tl;DR you wont find many mature folk in terms of those who like it

HarpB

deonchan

Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: Kazuko on November 21, 2008, 02:37:37 AMObviously you didnt get the joke there

but I would have to agree most older fanime fans arent so mature, for the most the older ones I have known usually are socialy akward and always brought their laptops or whatever. Or they would just talk about anime rather than a decent subject like fashion or current events there are a few anime fans that are older that do have a stable lifestyle and dont have anime take over their lives :T kinda like a decent balance besides I like to talk about other things rather than anime like lolita fashion for instance or music

so Tl;DR you wont find many mature folk in terms of those who like it
Well you and I have had a vastly different experience with older fans. Personally I have waaay too many other interests to have anime take over my life. I also tend to have really good social skills...except oddly enough when it comes to talking to people on here. I've had several nasty experiences on here.

Although I happen to LOVE the Lolita fashion. I bought one of the issues of the Gothic & Lolita Bible in English as soon as I found out it was around. Which wasn't until they had two issues out already. I just wish I wasn't so poor, otherwise I could at least afford to buy another copy. I have waaaay too many people owing me far too much money. Like my roomates from FanimeCon barely paid anything for our room last year >.<

My other Anime friends have various interests outside of Anime as well, such as tabletop gaming, friends, family, video games, reading, and more. ^_^ Did I mention most of my other Anime friends were above the age of 20?

Long

Maturity does not necessarily correlate with age. I've known enough mature younger people, and immature older people to substantially change any preconceptions I may have had that older people act more like adults (which is a very vague adjective).

Then again there are also many different concepts of maturity. For instance the kind of immaturity you don't want is the type that creates a huge ruckus in a fine dining establishment and gets you all booted out. But there is also immaturity that can make people laugh and help them to have a good time.

I don't quite see why it needs to be 21+ unless you're going to a bar or a venue which only allows those who are of drinking age.

If you don't mind my input, one very nice restaurant I've eaten at is the E&O Trading Co. Sort of a very nice pan-Asian restaurant. I would suggest semi-formal wear. It would be silly to come in cosplay, especially if your cosplay includes very large and bulky props. Probably not best for a huge party, but if a lot of people want to go, splitting into two or more parties is perfectly okay too. It's best enjoyed as a meal eaten over mid-mature conversation. You don't need to be silent and a wise man, but you shouldn't act like a little kid either, and make loud raspberry noises, or farting with your armpit.

You'd have to bring about 20 bucks for your meal. If you're 21 or over, they serve drinks, and also have a bar. It has a VERY nice ambiance. I've only eaten there once, at my first Fanime in '04 so I haven't had recent experience with it, but what I remember was that it was an awesome restaurant, and great food.

Also good if you just want a quiet night out with a special someone.