poor judging and cute little kids

Started by luckyends, April 06, 2008, 08:44:31 AM

luckyends

so i am going to a small convention at the end of april and one of the things i get anoyed by is the way they judge their costume contest
they use a clap meter from the croud
no one of the problems is this con is filled with people who only watch naruto bleach and FMA with the ocasional death note and it seems the only game they play is kingdom hearts
which is all fine and dandy until they wont even clap for a person who is cosplaying.... GASP a series they dont know
also its kinda unfair when little kids win just cause there moms made them a orgonization 13 costume and everyoens like so cute
grrrr

so basicaly post agreeing with me disagreeing with me or post bad costume contest experiences
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

edendreams

it would work much better with a judging panel i'd say

a little art by me ^-^

OniCourseMusha

Its pretty funny that few people asked me that I should of won for that JTAF masquerade for my brain age cosplay.
My brain age cosplay is effortless.

Anyways, I also agree that their are too much props towards young kids cosplay.  Give props to people wit hard working cosplay and unique ones.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

luckyends

also last jtaf one of the people who won didnt even cosplay anime manga or anime based video game so i was a little anoyed by that
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

Mizuki

Yeah, that's bullshit, but oh well, that's how some shit goes.

luckyends

yeah ahwell ok so lets use the second half of my thread and talk about funny stuff that has happened to us at contests and masqerades

at one point i broke a geta doing a kabuki dance and fell right on my but luckly i wasnt being judged =P the kakashi next to me was nice and helped me up though ^_^
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

PyronIkari

The irony is that of your avatar.

Well, first, we have to think about this. What is the contest for? Frankly, if it's not a craftsmanship award, then, audience cheering isn't a bad way to go. Why? Because it's about entertaining the crowd, not about "quality". You're catering the the audience. I had a discussion about movies/anime/games they have at conventions, and frankly, same deal. They have to show stuff people will watch, and in doing so have to limit themselves. They've shown "GOOD" movies, in terms of quality, directing, dialogue, etc. Turn out? like 5 people. They show a crap movie that is horribly made, like I dunno... death note live action movie? And it's a completely packed room. They show anime like Prince of Tennis, and people horde there. They show a series like Gankutsuou, and maybe 5 people are watching it.

QUALITY DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC...

Haven't you looked at the rest of this forum? Whenever anyone or myself TRIES to speak about quality, people don't care, and go off and post stupid memes and macro images, or talk about latest "FAD' series or whatever.

It's just how things are, but this sounds more like you're bitter because YOU think you deserved to win, or someone you know did.

luckyends

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 06, 2008, 07:49:56 PM
The irony is that of your avatar.

Well, first, we have to think about this. What is the contest for? Frankly, if it's not a craftsmanship award, then, audience cheering isn't a bad way to go. Why? Because it's about entertaining the crowd, not about "quality". You're catering the the audience. I had a discussion about movies/anime/games they have at conventions, and frankly, same deal. They have to show stuff people will watch, and in doing so have to limit themselves. They've shown "GOOD" movies, in terms of quality, directing, dialogue, etc. Turn out? like 5 people. They show a crap movie that is horribly made, like I dunno... death note live action movie? And it's a completely packed room. They show anime like Prince of Tennis, and people horde there. They show a series like Gankutsuou, and maybe 5 people are watching it.

QUALITY DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC...

Haven't you looked at the rest of this forum? Whenever anyone or myself TRIES to speak about quality, people don't care, and go off and post stupid memes and macro images, or talk about latest "FAD' series or whatever.

It's just how things are, but this sounds more like you're bitter because YOU think you deserved to win, or someone you know did.
ya your probably right about the me being bitter also it is quite ironic that i am posting this with my icon as a bleach cosplay but i have other examples of a wicked awsome wild arms 3 cosplayer who entered the costume and got only me claping even though the costume was insanly intricate with several original added bits ^_^
it is quite disapointing that quility has lost its meaning to the gerneal public and main stream fans but then again the question is was it ever there?
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

XpHoBiaX

I totally agree with Pyron on that as well. Quality in general has been lost amongest the mainstream of things...but that is how money is made. Like for instance... I fell in love with claymore and STILL can't find it anywhere. At least where I am at and the resoursces I have a pretty limited. I'd really love to get a few manga to add to my rather small collection.

Also, I am not even cosplaying anime this year. Well, I might as I do have a Vampire Knight cosplay hanging in the closet. (Another Manga series I'd liek to have.)
But since I am not attending costumecon, I might as well wear my costume to fanime. ;)

PyronIkari

Quote from: luckyends on April 06, 2008, 07:54:31 PM

ya your probably right about the me being bitter also it is quite ironic that i am posting this with my icon as a bleach cosplay but i have other examples of a wicked awsome wild arms 3 cosplayer who entered the costume and got only me claping even though the costume was insanly intricate with several original added bits ^_^
it is quite disapointing that quility has lost its meaning to the gerneal public and main stream fans but then again the question is was it ever there?
Again... what are they judging on?

Cosplay in general is poorly judged, by everyone. A girl that is extremely attractive in a decent costume, will be rated better than a very ugly person that is in an extremely good costume. There's lots of variables, such as, how much the person looks like the character, how they fit the body type, how they carry themselves in general, as well as not as noticable things like how well they know the characters, how they pose, how they represent the character.

Frankly, I completely disagree with your rant in general because... ... ...

It means you're caring more about the attention, the physical look, and the ability to sew, over the cosplay in whole. I hate cosplayers, and I say this with full 100% honesty. Why? Because the art of cosplaying as a fandom doesn't exist anymore. Cosplay is about attention, winning contests, and sewing, over cosplay. The origins, roots, and meaning are non-existant. People CRAVE attention, they crave to be noticed, and no longer care about what they're cosplaying. I say this a lot, and I always get the same response to it though.

XpHoBiaX

Actually, I was just thinking about that earlier.
What I learned in drama and acting classes is that you need to feel and become the character you are potraying. Otherwise it's moot and very unbelievable.
The same goes for having a persona in a re enactment group.

luckyends

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 06, 2008, 08:35:49 PM
Quote from: luckyends on April 06, 2008, 07:54:31 PM

It means you're caring more about the attention, the physical look, and the ability to sew, over the cosplay in whole. I hate cosplayers, and I say this with full 100% honesty. Why? Because the art of cosplaying as a fandom doesn't exist anymore. Cosplay is about attention, winning contests, and sewing, over cosplay. The origins, roots, and meaning are non-existant. People CRAVE attention, they crave to be noticed, and no longer care about what they're cosplaying. I say this a lot, and I always get the same response to it though.

in response to what am i judging on is the way fanime judges its craftmanship award
and i personaly take cosplay as sowing and expressing my love for the characters and series even though i also like to win the contests
because being human i do crave the atention and i am willing to admit that ^_^its also funny cause everyone craves atention and cosplay is one outlet
and im sorry you feel the way you do about cosplayers now im rather new to this and i dont actualy know its roots and im also curiouse as to what you think cosplay stands for

and i think you can also win the contest if you dont look exactaly like the character or can pose like them

Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

PyronIkari

Quote from: luckyends on April 06, 2008, 08:58:40 PM

in response to what am i judging on is the way fanime judges its craftmanship award
and i personaly take cosplay as sowing and expressing my love for the characters and series even though i also like to win the contests
because being human i do crave the atention and i am willing to admit that ^_^its also funny cause everyone craves atention and cosplay is one outlet
and im sorry you feel the way you do about cosplayers now im rather new to this and i dont actualy know its roots and im also curiouse as to what you think cosplay stands for

and i think you can also win the contest if you dont look exactaly like the character or can pose like them
Your first post and this post don't add up together. No one will do a craftsmanship award by letting an audience cheer for the winner. Craftmanship is about the ability to sew, the ability to create and make a costume. This isn't cosplaying though. Making a costume and putting a costume on IS NOT COSPLAY. It's putting on a damned costume.

Different awards are given for different reasons. Craftsmanship, best of show, best group performance, etc. etc. etc. Very few of these have anything to do with cosplay though. Skits rarely have anything to do with the costumes the characters are wearing. Craftsmanship is about technical skill. Okay... and?

Cosplaying is about love and respect towards a character. It's about acknowledging how well designed a character is made, the fact that you enjoy said character, and a way to show this is to cosplay them. A good amount of cosplayers know close to nothing about the characters they cosplay. They know the basic info, stuff you can google or wiki. But generally they don't *KNOW* the character. Something that really irks me, are people that cosplay from fighting games, especially girls. Most girls know jack nothing of the characters they cosplay, know jack nothing about the game... but played it once, mashed a few buttons and was like "I LIKE THIS CHARACTER! I WANT TO COSPLAY HER!" The majority of the Mai characters know nothing of her story, couldn't tell you the commands to do any of her moves, wouldn't be able to tell you what changed between Fatal Fury Special to Real Bout to KOF. They wouldn't even know the names of probably any of her moves. Yet... they are cosplaying as her. Why?

If you need to cosplay to gain attention, you're really lacking a social life. I can get attention however, whenever I want, why do I NEED to get attention while cosplaying? Why should I feel angry, or upset, if I don't get attention while cosplaying? I cosplay... for myself, and to show love for a character... not so other people will look at me or take my picture.

luckyends

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 06, 2008, 09:17:26 PM

Your first post and this post don't add up together. No one will do a craftsmanship award by letting an audience cheer for the winner. Craftmanship is about the ability to sew, the ability to create and make a costume. This isn't cosplaying though. Making a costume and putting a costume on IS NOT COSPLAY. It's putting on a damned costume.

Different awards are given for different reasons. Craftsmanship, best of show, best group performance, etc. etc. etc. Very few of these have anything to do with cosplay though. Skits rarely have anything to do with the costumes the characters are wearing. Craftsmanship is about technical skill. Okay... and?

Cosplaying is about love and respect towards a character. It's about acknowledging how well designed a character is made, the fact that you enjoy said character, and a way to show this is to cosplay them. A good amount of cosplayers know close to nothing about the characters they cosplay. They know the basic info, stuff you can google or wiki. But generally they don't *KNOW* the character. Something that really irks me, are people that cosplay from fighting games, especially girls. Most girls know jack nothing of the characters they cosplay, know jack nothing about the game... but played it once, mashed a few buttons and was like "I LIKE THIS CHARACTER! I WANT TO COSPLAY HER!" The majority of the Mai characters know nothing of her story, couldn't tell you the commands to do any of her moves, wouldn't be able to tell you what changed between Fatal Fury Special to Real Bout to KOF. They wouldn't even know the names of probably any of her moves. Yet... they are cosplaying as her. Why?

If you need to cosplay to gain attention, you're really lacking a social life. I can get attention however, whenever I want, why do I NEED to get attention while cosplaying? Why should I feel angry, or upset, if I don't get attention while cosplaying? I cosplay... for myself, and to show love for a character... not so other people will look at me or take my picture.
sry about this and the first post not adding up i realized that
what i was talking about was how i was stating the form of the contest and how that anoys me and how i think it should be done more like a costume contest also this whole thread is about COSTUME contests not COSPLAY contests
sry if that wasnt very clear and the all caps are in no means meant to be agressive ^_^

i agree with you on some of the points of not knowing the character and how that may be frusterating but alot of cosplayers that i know do not cosplay a character unless they know that character and i think that atleast in the story aspect using a fighting game is a bad example because to find the story behind one of the characters im going to cosplay i had to dig and dig around on the internet

one of the things that you kinda lump together is cosplaying for atentioin, certainly for me i do cosplay partialy for atention and also because i think the costume is cool and because i like the character and yes because i like it when people say wow thats so cool you made it? even when they dont know the character
but for you to get angry at people for just displaying a human trait is kinda a little unreasonable
almost everyone wants to get atention and some people do it in better ways than others
there are alot of things people wouldnt do if they didnt want atention like paint or write and yes cosplay
there are also some situations where people are truly doing it for themselves but more likly than not there is atleast that glimer of wanting atention
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

PyronIkari

Quote from: luckyends on April 06, 2008, 09:40:47 PM
i agree with you on some of the points of not knowing the character and how that may be frusterating but alot of cosplayers that i know do not cosplay a character unless they know that character and i think that atleast in the story aspect using a fighting game is a bad example because to find the story behind one of the characters im going to cosplay i had to dig and dig around on the internet
Or... you could... play the games. Fighting game characters all have stories within their games of origin. CvS doesn't really have the story for characters because that's a mash up game. All the characters within those games have stories from their originating games. Name a character from a fighting game... I'll be able to tell you their story, because I'm fairly certain I've played the game they originate from. There's very few games that don't have stories to them. So no, your reasoning is bull.

Quoteone of the things that you kinda lump together is cosplaying for atentioin, certainly for me i do cosplay partialy for atention and also because i think the costume is cool and because i like the character and yes because i like it when people say wow thats so cool you made it? even when they dont know the character
but for you to get angry at people for just displaying a human trait is kinda a little unreasonable
almost everyone wants to get atention and some people do it in better ways than others
there are alot of things people wouldnt do if they didnt want atention like paint or write and yes cosplay
there are also some situations where people are truly doing it for themselves but more likly than not there is atleast that glimer of wanting atention
This... is just horrible. You're going to compare arts and creative composition... with copying someone else's character and dressing up as them? There's a huge difference because the art and talent of cosplay... isn't there. Design is lost and it's mimicking an already created desgin and just trying to make a real version of it. Does it take talent? Yes it takes talent to sew, and make these costumes, but it does not take creativity or design. If you're cosplaying for attention, then YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. I really like this line though.

Quotebut for you to get angry at people for just displaying a human trait is kinda a little unreasonable
So... you won't get angry at me if i rape your mother? All I am doing is displaying a human trait. Lust is a human trait, one more powerful than craving attention in later years. So you'd be okay with it right?

Your basis is totally flawed. Frankly, people can do whatever they want, it's on them. People can cosplay for attention, but it doesn't make it right, and it is literally looking down on a culture/community/fandom.

XpHoBiaX

I'd hate for you to be a judge. T---T All the technicalities....

PyronIkari

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on April 06, 2008, 11:05:04 PM
I'd hate for you to be a judge. T---T All the technicalities....

Wouldn't that make me... a good judge?

XpHoBiaX

A good, in a pain in the ass sort of way.
Are you cosplaying anything, btw? Just curious.

luckyends

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 06, 2008, 09:54:02 PM
Quote from: luckyends on April 06, 2008, 09:40:47 PM
Or... you could... play the games. Fighting game characters all have stories within their games of origin. CvS doesn't really have the story for characters because that's a mash up game. All the characters within those games have stories from their originating games. Name a character from a fighting game... I'll be able to tell you their story, because I'm fairly certain I've played the game they originate from. There's very few games that don't have stories to them. So no, your reasoning is bull.

Quoteone of the things that you kinda lump together is cosplaying for atentioin, certainly for me i do cosplay partialy for atention and also because i think the costume is cool and because i like the character and yes because i like it when people say wow thats so cool you made it? even when they dont know the character
This... is just horrible. You're going to compare arts and creative composition... with copying someone else's character and dressing up as them? There's a huge difference because the art and talent of cosplay... isn't there. Design is lost and it's mimicking an already created desgin and just trying to make a real version of it. Does it take talent? Yes it takes talent to sew, and make these costumes, but it does not take creativity or design. If you're cosplaying for attention, then YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. I really like this line though.

Quotebut for you to get angry at people for just displaying a human trait is kinda a little unreasonable
So... you won't get angry at me if i rape your mother? All I am doing is displaying a human trait. Lust is a human trait, one more powerful than craving attention in later years. So you'd be okay with it right?

Your basis is totally flawed. Frankly, people can do whatever they want, it's on them. People can cosplay for attention, but it doesn't make it right, and it is literally looking down on a culture/community/fandom.

actualy i picked up quilty gear xx acentcore and have been playing it for quite some time now as anji and there is no story in that game =P sorry but i do know his story

also i wasnt comparing art and creative compasion i was comparing the fact that people create things for atention alot of times
even if a person states that it is for the love of something the fact of the matter is if they put there name on it they want the atention
sry if my analagy was muttled =P not the best wrighter ^_^

also i think the rape comment was a bit low....
i do accept lust as a part of human traits ^_^ everyone gets horny
but there are some things that are just uncalled for
and i dont see how you can compare raping my mom to cosplaying for atention

and just curiouse if you hate cosplayers so much why are you posting in a thread that is bound to be full of them and also as you stated befor your going to get conflict with what you said...
creating specificaly angry conflict isnt a good thing

Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

luckyends

also you stated that the original purpose of cosplaying was to show your love for the character and the characters good design
but if you truly dont want atention then you should just be happy with knowing that you have your love and respect for the character
and the satisfaction that you know so much about them
but when you cosplay you are not only atracting atention to the character but also yourself for liking the character
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%