poor judging and cute little kids

Started by luckyends, April 06, 2008, 08:44:31 AM

PyronIkari

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on April 07, 2008, 12:11:51 AM
A good, in a pain in the ass sort of way.
Are you cosplaying anything, btw? Just curious.
Yes, Itoshiki-Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

Quoteactualy i picked up quilty gear xx acentcore and have been playing it for quite some time now as anji and there is no story in that game =P sorry but i do know his story
Accent Core is the 7th game of the fighting game franchise, with multiple spin off games. Anji first appears in Zechs, which had a VERY EXTENSIVE story along with Igzechs and Slash. I haven't played the home version of Accent Core, but I do know for a fact that Anji has quite a story. So you're still wrong.

and just curiouse if you hate cosplayers so much why are you posting in a thread that is bound to be full of them and also as you stated befor your going to get conflict with what you said...
creating specificaly angry conflict isnt a good thing
... sigh... I've been a cosplayer since before 2000. I'm hardly 'creating specifically angry conflict' but presenting realistic ideas and displaying how things used to/should be. If you're taking offense to it, you are clearly feeling guilty of what I said.

Quotealso you stated that the original purpose of cosplaying was to show your love for the character and the characters good design
but if you truly dont want atention then you should just be happy with knowing that you have your love and respect for the character
and the satisfaction that you know so much about them
but when you cosplay you are not only atracting atention to the character but also yourself for liking the character

Yes... and this is my point. I do. I've said this before. Want to know how many people took my picture last year in my Chrono costume? ZERO... because no one recognized it, not even the people that cosplayed from the same series(the whole one of them). So what, did I get upset, or angry? Hell no, I liked the costume, and it was awesome.

Mister_E

Do you have any photos of your outfit? I'm just curious.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Eurobeat King

Quote from: luckyends on April 06, 2008, 04:37:22 PM
also last jtaf one of the people who won didnt even cosplay anime manga or anime based video game so i was a little anoyed by that

I was one of the judges at JTAF last year.  If you're referring to the Jack Skellington who won, we gave him an award based on his performance, which was him lip-synching to a song from The Nightmare Before Christmas  Rather than just stand there and sing, he danced around, as if he were in-character, grabbed a member of audience and danced with her, and even had a bag that contained anime stuff like plushies and Yaoi (i think.)  The audience loved his performance a lot as did myself and the other judges, so we decided on giving him an award based on his performance.  There's no rule (unless stated by a convention) to disallow non-anime, manga, or video-game costume to not be allowed to participate in a costume-contest.  The main purpose of entering the costume-contest/masquerade is to entertain the audience, and have fun while you're doing either a walk-on or performing a skit. 

I agree with you, that i don't appreciate costume-contests that judge by applause-meter, or by votes.  I've seen really nice costumes get denied awards because audiences voted for either the series that they liked or were more recognizable/mainstream, or they like to see children cosplaying.  However, it's up to the convention how they wish to do judging for their con, but i'm just saying I don't agree with that.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

luckyends

Quote from: Eurobeat King on April 07, 2008, 10:59:16 AM

I agree with you, that i don't appreciate costume-contests that judge by applause-meter, or by votes.  I've seen really nice costumes get denied awards because audiences voted for either the series that they liked or were more recognizable/mainstream, or they like to see children cosplaying.  However, it's up to the convention how they wish to do judging for their con, but i'm just saying I don't agree with that.

this is kinda the whole point of this thread i wanted to see what people thought of the judging system and to exchange bad costume contest storys so i dont realy know why you (pyon ikari) came in here and changed what we were talking about
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

Joecool1

Quote from: luckyends on April 07, 2008, 04:03:07 PM
this is kinda the whole point of this thread i wanted to see what people thought of the judging system and to exchange bad costume contest storys so i dont realy know why you (pyon ikari) came in here and changed what we were talking about
GAH! just ignore him!  I can't read essays nor understand lectures!
GET ME SOME HOES AND BITCHES AT THE CONS!!

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Eurobeat King on April 07, 2008, 10:59:16 AM

Er, just an FYI, that's Al. Not Pyron.

Another thing is, you did get feedback on the subject, how things are and why. The subject only changed because, well, not only did you get all the information that you needed, but you asked, and I quote:

Quoteit is quite disapointing that quility has lost its meaning to the gerneal public and main stream fans but then again the question is was it ever there?

Anyways, I was pretty sure that most people who enter masquerades and cosplay contests already acknowledge that judging is flawed. People normally enter to have fun and get the attention of their audience. Whoever wins is normally based on performance (which I've seen is actually biased within the judges based on their personal taste in anime) or solely on craftsmanship, regardless whether or not the cosplayer knows a thing about the character they're cosplaying as.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

luckyends

i was bringing back the original point of the thread

i was mainly asking how other people felt about it and it was indeed a costume contest not a masquerade ^_^
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

PyronIkari

Way to miss the point. As I said, there are different standards and reasonings as to what is judged, and to what criteria and as to why. Construction is only one aspect.

luckyends

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 07, 2008, 08:04:08 PM

Way to miss the point. As I said, there are different standards and reasonings as to what is judged, and to what criteria and as to why. Construction is only one aspect.
i dont think i missed the point the point of the thread was about the clap meter judging system which i was curiosue if other people thought it was flaud 
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

PyronIkari

Quote from: luckyends on April 07, 2008, 08:40:21 PM

i dont think i missed the point the point of the thread was about the clap meter judging system which i was curiosue if other people thought it was flaud 

And as I said... it matters what the judging criteria is, and the point of the contest. It's not so simple to say "Yes it's bad" or "No it's good". Like I said, you only made this thread to complaing and get people to agree with you, to justify your being bitter at the contest.

luckyends

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 07, 2008, 08:46:15 PM
Quote from: luckyends on April 07, 2008, 08:40:21 PM

And as I said... it matters what the judging criteria is, and the point of the contest. It's not so simple to say "Yes it's bad" or "No it's good". Like I said, you only made this thread to complaing and get people to agree with you, to justify your being bitter at the contest.

yeah i might be bitter about it
but the problem is i see with the contest is that there is no specific criteria in the contest thats the problem i see with the contest and i was curiouse (and also looking for reasurance and wanting to complain about it) to see whatother people thought of it

i am also sorry that i am not a perfect human being like some of us are
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%