What is your anime pet peeve?

Started by shy-cosplayer, April 09, 2008, 05:44:36 PM

Jun-Watarase

Oh, well... then that's just weird. It is normal to be asked to have their photo taken when cosplaying, but I get annoyed when people take no for an answer. If she was pissed off from the instance she was asked, then... I really don't know. XD

But as for the whole hugging without permission thing, this forum has had a history on that and most people here agree that... asking for permission is encouraged.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

blancoisma

Alright, maybe it's just me that finds it rather annoying, but whenever I'm on myspace and someone wants to add me to their friends, and I click on their profile to check their pictures, but all they have are pics of anime/video game characters and none of themselves. And then to make it even worse they put captions underneath some of them going "This is me" or something of that nature. It's horribly irritating and makes no sense to me.
"Well, I'm already going to hell for kissing you so I may as well take the scenic route."

-Aaron Davis, Latter Days

MikoChika

Quote from: blancoisma on May 14, 2008, 11:26:42 AM
Alright, maybe it's just me that finds it rather annoying, but whenever I'm on myspace and someone wants to add me to their friends, and I click on their profile to check their pictures, but all they have are pics of anime/video game characters and none of themselves. And then to make it even worse they put captions underneath some of them going "This is me" or something of that nature. It's horribly irritating and makes no sense to me.

Wow, that is weird and totally annoying, espesially on a place like myspace.
Is it possible that it was perhaps an online roleplaying profile you were looking at? Usually those things stay within msn, gcn, or places like buzzen and oasiz chat.
Please, don't feed the moogle.

blancoisma

Quote from: MikoChika on May 14, 2008, 11:30:17 AM

Is it possible that it was perhaps an online roleplaying profile you were looking at? Usually those things stay within msn, gcn, or places like buzzen and oasiz chat.

I wouldn't doubt the possibility of it being a roleplaying profile, but what gets to me is that this person is wanting to add me, but they give me no basis for wanting them as a friend. Like, why would I want to add someone who I don't have the faintest idea of who they are? I hope that makes sense.
"Well, I'm already going to hell for kissing you so I may as well take the scenic route."

-Aaron Davis, Latter Days

MikoChika

Quote from: blancoisma on May 14, 2008, 11:46:58 AM
Quote from: MikoChika on May 14, 2008, 11:30:17 AM

I wouldn't doubt the possibility of it being a roleplaying profile, but what gets to me is that this person is wanting to add me, but they give me no basis for wanting them as a friend. Like, why would I want to add someone who I don't have the faintest idea of who they are? I hope that makes sense.

I see. Yes, that is totally anoying and far to common sadily enough. maybe this person just wants a bigger friend list XD. I know a few people who have mini competitions to see how many people they can get to be their friend in a day. It's sort of a strange sport of theirs. o_O
Please, don't feed the moogle.

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

I hate blonde haired, blue eyed anime characters. It's just so... white (or european). I like seeing anime characters who are japanese but have a stand out look to them that isn't euro-washed.  (Harajuku, anyone?)

FinalShadows

My pet peeve is when a innocent anime girl in an anime gets brutally killed. (reference to the first episode of Elfen Lied)
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Quote from: FinalShadows on May 15, 2008, 02:12:31 PM
My pet peeve is when a innocent anime girl in an anime gets brutally killed. (reference to the first episode of Elfen Lied)
Yeah, man. That was sooo messed up. I was all like "DOOD! WTF did she even do wrong!? O:<". Thats why I don't watch it, pointless violence. >.>

FinalShadows

Quote from: L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu on May 15, 2008, 02:24:05 PM
Yeah, man. That was sooo messed up. I was all like "DOOD! WTF did she even do wrong!? O:<". Thats why I don't watch it, pointless violence. >.>
I thought the rest of the anime was pretty good. Except for that first part, the children that bossed Lucy at the end deserved to get killed. I smiled at that time :P
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu on May 15, 2008, 02:24:05 PM

Er, well the story was actually pretty good. Just because it's violent doesn't make it pointless.

Anywho, I think I winced more when the killed her puppy more than anything.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Steve.Young

Quote from: MikoChika on May 09, 2008, 11:02:13 AM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on May 09, 2008, 12:51:46 AM
Quote from: MikoChika on May 08, 2008, 11:40:20 PM
I totally agree. Also it gets to me when you have those people who are cosplaying but then get all pissed off when you ask to take their picture. Hello? Why'd you even cosplay if you didn't want some attention and camera time?

Wait, excuse me? Not everyone cosplaying is doing it for attention and having their photos taken. The point of cosplay is to wear a costume to portray your love for the character. Why would you get upset if they said a no to having their photo taken? It's up to them, and what their comfortable with. The only reason why any of them would get 'pissed off' is if you're being persistent about it.

I see I my wording didn't put forth my point. It is totally their right to say no to a picture. But getting attention and getting asked for their pictures is a natural thing to happen and should be expected when you through on a cosplay outfit. What gets me is when they get all upset and angry becuase you've asked.  It's happened to my friend on several occations at the last convention we went together. I don't know if that is particularly rare or what, but she wasn't even being persistant, asked them once and they get all angry and start calling names as she walked away. It really made me arngy to see my friend treated that way and there would have been violence if she wasn't insistant on just moveing on.
And I didn't speak out that little nib of info about cosplayers dressing for their love of the character becuase i thought that was understood, I'm sorry. I myself cosplay and understand that for the sake of loveing this character and to play then that as a bi-product attention of others will be drawn and questisions for picutres and hugs will be asked.
That brings another thing that gets to me. people who hug without permission, or hug all messy like and tear or damage the outfit that took me weeks on weeks to make..
Now i sound like a total ass haveing to clarify this..sorry, i really don't wanna make trouble.

Sounds like a good point to me.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Sigh... Any who, I guess another pet peeve is when an anime is TOO sexual. To me, when ever an anime has to many panty shots, big boobies and sluts it just means the anime is so bad that it has to show all that just to keep your attention. Take Goddanar for instance, has lots of T & A BUT has an interesting storyline and badass Mecha, not to mention cool characters. (Shadow is hellza fine! Even if she is a crossdresser who looks like a smexeh man x3)

alisonbrock

Definitely the pronouncing-the-name-wrong issue, but I also think that it is annoying when a manga is finally made into a series, it turns out to be crap!

Chewie

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on May 09, 2008, 12:51:46 AM
Quote from: MikoChika on May 08, 2008, 11:40:20 PM
I totally agree. Also it gets to me when you have those people who are cosplaying but then get all pissed off when you ask to take their picture. Hello? Why'd you even cosplay if you didn't want some attention and camera time?

Wait, excuse me? Not everyone cosplaying is doing it for attention and having their photos taken. The point of cosplay is to wear a costume to portray your love for the character. Why would you get upset if they said a no to having their photo taken? It's up to them, and what their comfortable with. The only reason why any of them would get 'pissed off' is if you're being persistent about it.

I agree with everything else in the thread save this.

Cosplaying in front of a crowd of people and getting upset or being a douche when asked for a picture is the same as the girl who wears the slutty clothes and then she (or her boyfriend) gets on your ass for looking at her. Your insecurities (or whatever the hell the problem is short of someone being annoying about it) aren't everyone else's problem. You chose to do it.

I am not trying to generalize and I understand not everyone does it for everyone else but there are plenty of people out there who are instantly incensed at the thought of someone wanting a picture with them or giving them attention.

And while this isn't completely anime centric, I would like to (again?) add that hugging/touching/'glomping' without permission is wrong and deserves an ass whoopin'. Last year I saw a girl hug (or glomp or whatever, I say tackle) someone in a costume and break part of it. L2control yourselves.

Also, one more for incorrect pronunciations. Muhcross/!. Nartoe/too (yeah, no U). RANma. Just to name a few.

Jun-Watarase

Why is it that people can't read? She explained herself and I sad I misinterpreted. I'll quote myself.

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on May 09, 2008, 11:25:38 AM
Oh, well... then that's just weird. It is normal to be asked to have their photo taken when cosplaying, but I get annoyed when people take no for an answer. If she was pissed off from the instance she was asked, then... I really don't know. XD

But as for the whole hugging without permission thing, this forum has had a history on that and most people here agree that... asking for permission is encouraged.

But in your case, no. I don't agree. People should cosplay for the sake of wanting to have fun cosplaying a character they love. Cosplaying is expression for said love-- not for attention whoring and asking people to take photos of them because they're dressed up. NO WHERE in my post said that they should get into a hissy fit when people ask them to take their photos, but I DID say that they should have the right to say "no". Exactly what is so difficult to understand about that?

A lot of cosplayers can relate to this some way or another. Some people just don't want their photo taken, especially if they're sitting down to eat or took off a part of their costume. Say someone has a cosplay with wings and gloves and all that nice stuff. They're eating, so they had to take bits and pieces of their costume off to relax. Someone goes up to them and asks for a photo. It'd be too troublesome for them to put everything back on, so they can simply say "No, thank you. I'm eating at the moment and most of my cosplay isn't on, and I don't feel comfortable taking photos incomplete." If the photographer understands, he'll leave him/her alone and take photos of other people that are available. If the photographer is an annoying douche with no tact, then he'll persist in asking for a photo. So the cosplayer is saying no. Is he/she a whiny douche?

Say someone isn't comfortable taking photos at ALL. Maybe they're new to the cosplay scene. Maybe they don't feel comfortable having their photos on the internet. Maybe they're unphotogenic, or sick. They can simply say no. If the photographer understands, then that's it. What's the problem? Unless the cosplayer is getting upset JUST from being asked a photo, then I have no idea. I don't even know why anyone would even DO that, rather than a quick and easy "No, thank you. I'm not comfortable with photos."

People have the right to say "no" to those who ask to take photos of them... JUST AS HOW they are able to say "no" to people asking for their hugs. It's dependent on what THEY feel comfortable with and it's THEIR personal space, and many people seem to be capable of respecting that. Why can't you?

But anyways, your analogy with the slutty clothes thing is terrible. You can't compare it like that UNLESS they're taking photos of them. Do you honestly think it'd be polite to take a photo of some random girl in slutty clothing without asking permission? It's the same as asking cosplayers. You can LOOK. No one ever objected to that. I don't think any cosplayer that goes out in public has problems with people LOOKING at them. But photos are different. Do I really have to spell out the difference for you?

FanimaidCafe.com

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Oh, lookie an essay! I must readz. O-O

Chewie

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on May 17, 2008, 02:11:17 PMI did read it.

No. You have spelled everything out just perfectly, especially the part where you missed my point and how I was agreeing with you almost completely.

My analogy was fine. It's along the same lines. Bottom line, if you wear it, expect attention. Not all do but some people get pissy when asked at all. Period.

My portion of the conversation is over seeing as how instead of trying to have a civil conversation, you got quite condescending. Appreciate the effort, but I'll move on.

Jun-Watarase

The analogy doesn't work. I hate it when people get into examples like "Why did look at her/rape her?" and the reasoning behind it being "She was wearing slutty clothing! She was ASKING for it!" It doesn't work that way. Sorry if my post seemed too condescending, but I honestly dislike the mentality of the whole "She was asking for it" crap.

They can expect attention, but that comes along with asking if they'd want to take a photo instead of just taking one without permission. You can't take a good photo without the cosplayer's consent-- if they don't want to, they won't pose for you or allow you to take a good photo.

But again, I really don't... understand why anyone would get pissy from being ASKED to take a photo. The only reason to really get upset if the photographer was too persistent after getting a no.

FanimaidCafe.com

Kazuko

Quote from: L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu on May 15, 2008, 02:08:28 PM
I hate blonde haired, blue eyed anime characters. It's just so... white (or european). I like seeing anime characters who are japanese but have a stand out look to them that isn't euro-washed.  (Harajuku, anyone?)
err some styles from the Harajuku area in Tokyo is european influenced such as gothic and lolita fashion. Its inspired by european roccoco time period and 18th century victorian. The punk look as always has its british origins and what not

Just had to say it :d as for european looking anime characters it dosent really bother me, Its all on the character design to decide all of that fun stuff im guessing. It gives it more diversity in a show than having a one race show especially since its also going to cater to overseas viewers

Yuu

" ZOMG!!1! You have NO idea how STRESSED  I am!! I HAVE to do all these costumes, and you know what?! I'm just going to take an F in this class! My stupid teacher DARES to give me homework when I have costumes to make!

Then don't make then. No is forcing you to, you WANT to.
I WISH I had the money, time, and frivolity to throw away my future for nothing more than a hobby. Especially when there are 12 more costumes I could wear.