has any one lived on the streets during Fanime because they didnt get a Hotel?

Started by TC X0 Lt 0X, April 09, 2008, 06:19:17 PM

Has any one lived on the streets during Fanime because they didnt get a Hotel?

Yes
6 (14.6%)
No
35 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

IamTetsuo

I'm reminded of a story my friend told me about DefCon when somebody fell asleep in a public area there.  When he woke up all of his stuff had been stolen, he had been drawn on with sharpies and his nails had been painted bright pink. 

Probably a good thing that the Fanime crowd isn't as morally questionable as the DefCon crowd...

Chun

As everyone has said, the sleeping issue is really rooted upon the responsibility of the con-attendees themselves. You weren't thrown into the convention without any orientation, you planned for the event, and thus will plan to either stay awake until you find a place to stay or simply stay awake. You can't sleep anywhere else for obvious reasoning; there is no "victimization".

I usually don't get a hotel room because of how much I save for Convention, but since I live relatively close, a bus ride away from the Con Hall, I usually hang around the area until first bus rolls out, catch it home, sleep 3-4 hours (6AM to 10AM), then return (Bathing and etc included). If anything if I absolutely have to sleep I try not to inconvenience my friends and curl up into a ball using my jacket as a blanket, on the floor. I don't expect star treatment, because in that sense, I'm a freeloader that just wanted to take a nap, and I shouldn't be using the space accordingly.

I heard rumors here and there people actually knocked on convention attendee's doors and asked for a place to nap (Or asked random folk if they could tag along). How did they tell they were convention attendees? They waited around the elevators and asked. That in itself is a horrible display of character.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Mister_E

Quote from: Chun on April 10, 2008, 01:12:11 AM
As everyone has said, the sleeping issue is really rooted upon the responsibility of the con-attendees themselves. You weren't thrown into the convention without any orientation, you planned for the event, and thus will plan to either stay awake until you find a place to stay or simply stay awake. You can't sleep anywhere else for obvious reasoning; there is no "victimization".

I usually don't get a hotel room because of how much I save for Convention, but since I live relatively close, a bus ride away from the Con Hall, I usually hang around the area until first bus rolls out, catch it home, sleep 3-4 hours (6AM to 10AM), then return (Bathing and etc included). If anything if I absolutely have to sleep I try not to inconvenience my friends and curl up into a ball using my jacket as a blanket, on the floor. I don't expect star treatment, because in that sense, I'm a freeloader that just wanted to take a nap, and I shouldn't be using the space accordingly.

I heard rumors here and there people actually knocked on convention attendee's doors and asked for a place to nap (Or asked random folk if they could tag along). How did they tell they were convention attendees? They waited around the elevators and asked. That in itself is a horrible display of character.
~Chun

Yeah I heard that as well from con goers at my college but just rumors it didn't happen to them just their friends I didn't think it was true but now that I hear more of it, I guess it is. I don't take the elevators I use the stairs though they do smell funky. And no one is taging along and useing MY COT!
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Moonblossom

Christ, if anyone tries to do that to me they're getting reported to hotel security. That's so tactless and gross.

Jerry

probably the most common offense is people sleeping in the 24 hour video rooms or the concourse of the convention center.

yes, theres policies, rules and laws against it... but ppl still do it.

again it comes down to common sense and whats best for your personal safety.

ironically some ppl 'live' or stay awake all con so i could easily imagine people staying up all 4+ days of the con, which of course isnt reccomended but some ppl get all hyped on the con and gosh knows what.

just be mindful of your surroundings and dont strangers into ur hotel room, well unless ur good at making instant friends. but thats another discussion thread.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Glitch

Don't you see people,Fanime and the hotels are part of corporate plan to squeeze as much money out of otakus as they can. We gotta stop them!!

Just sarcasm and not a rant disguise as sarcasm.

There is no shame in not going to fanime. As fun as it might be, my basic nescesities will always come first. Hell, being poor forced my first fanime in 01 to be only for one day but enjoyed the hell out of it.

The hotels "protecting their financial interest" is horse $#it. They allowed fanime to give discounted prices on hotel rooms. If anything,they are quite lenient.

Of course satanic_mechanic just wants to rant because he can't save money right or prepare for fanime, but I think everybody's adressing on these issues is good for newbies to the con who might stumble on this thread.

Steve.Young

Okay, so...

in 2007, working graveyard shift for Rovers, I caught people sleeping in some of the WEIRDEST places...

There are roving patrols at night just to watch out for people who sleep on the con floors and other places.

People have actually gotten completely pissed at me for waking them up in awkward places. I won't go into the locations (Seeing as how this year, I don't wanna give people ideas)...but yea...people...disappoint me sometimes haha.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Chocolate Lover

Quote from: Jerry on April 10, 2008, 08:34:47 AM
probably the most common offense is people sleeping in the 24 hour video rooms or the concourse of the convention center.

That was me more than 15 years ago at the San Jose Red Lion Inn (now Double Tree).
I couldn't afford a hotel room, and I didn't want to miss a minute of the convention (Anime Con '91 & Anime Expo '92).
And yes, I skipped showering. Funny how some things never change... except that 99% of the attendees were male.

Mr Anime

Quote from: Chun on April 10, 2008, 01:12:11 AM

~Chun

This will be my first time going to Fanime and I hope I don't have to experience something like this. It's sad to hear that this sort of thing happens, but I guess it's unavoidable.
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

dibbly

what i wonder is if they can afford an all weekend pass, why dont they get a one day pass and use what money is left for the con, or i dunno ...food!
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

Chocolate Lover

Quote from: dibbly on April 10, 2008, 11:46:31 AM
what i wonder is if they can afford an all weekend pass, why dont they get a one day pass and use what money is left for the con, or i dunno ...food!

Because to an otaku, anime and manga is his food. Every dollar must be spent in the dealer's room.

Mister_E

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 10, 2008, 09:06:18 AM
Okay, so...

in 2007, working graveyard shift for Rovers, I caught people sleeping in some of the WEIRDEST places...

There are roving patrols at night just to watch out for people who sleep on the con floors and other places.

People have actually gotten completely pissed at me for waking them up in awkward places. I won't go into the locations (Seeing as how this year, I don't wanna give people ideas)...but yea...people...disappoint me sometimes haha.

I knew there where rovers, I saw people still walking arounf I mean the screening room was shut down for the night, the rave was far over and I still saw people moving about.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

PyronIkari

Quote from: Chocolate Lover on April 10, 2008, 01:35:36 PM
Quote from: dibbly on April 10, 2008, 11:46:31 AM

Because to an otaku, anime and manga is his food. Every dollar must be spent in the dealer's room.

This is called being stupid, not an otaku. Idiots like this give otaku a bad name... rather... an even WORSE name.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 10, 2008, 09:06:18 AM
Okay, so...

my guess is one of these places is probably the bathrooms.

its bad when people try to sleep in the video rooms; its completely sad and pathetic when you see ppl go into a vid room with a blanket and start to construct a makeshift bed out of the chairs set up there.....yea, they didn't get very far with that plan (thanks to rovers for their assistance in stopping that)
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Steve.Young

I've never caught anyone who slept in the bathrooms, but I guess I'm going to have to check more often (At least the guys bathrooms...girls bathrooms I don't remember any female rovers on graveyard).

Make shift beds...Check
Under convention tables...check
Under Stage Zero...Check

Not to mention the many places that I check that I haven't listed...people get creative. Don't do it...makes my job harder =P
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 10, 2008, 10:06:21 PM
I've never caught anyone who slept in the bathrooms, but I guess I'm going to have to check more often (At least the guys bathrooms...girls bathrooms I don't remember any female rovers on graveyard).

Make shift beds...Check
Under convention tables...check
Under Stage Zero...Check

Not to mention the many places that I check that I haven't listed...people get creative. Don't do it...makes my job harder =P
dont forget the elevator in the convention center that was near the dealers room last year, any video room that has a very small amount of people, the arcade(someone actually was sleeping right next to a DDR machine last year), any table that has cloth covering the underside(this includes the water tables as well), the downstairs area of the con center(as well as those bathrooms), chairs in the hotel(i imagine that is the hotels' problem, though), and other areas.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

ToshiX

"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

Moonblossom

Just out of curiosity, from a rover's perspective, what is the penalty for someone who just happens to fall asleep in a chair? My sleep schedule is beyond fucked sometimes, and I've been known to inadvertently nod off while watching a movie or whatever. I used to fall asleep in class all the time, not due to boredom but simply the inability to stay awake. If that happens in the middle of the day, would I get into a lot of trouble?

Jerry

simply speaking, the short answer would be no.

from what I know we're usually told to wake the said person up. and just ask them kindly to " please be on there way... "

Other than that, just be safe when you accidentally nod off in public, again there's alot of strange otakus out there.

my fear now is someone who was asleep who woke up some where or doing something they werent suppose to be doing...  :-[
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Moonblossom

Alright, thanks.

Usually I'm with a friend or several friends, so I'm not worried about people doing anything inappropriate to me, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get in too much trouble if it did happen. It's not as if I'm lying across three chairs with a blanket on me, just like "Oh whoops nodded off"