Orphened Artwork?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Started by K&K4ever, April 13, 2008, 08:04:17 PM

K&K4ever

The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

Jun-Watarase

Not a joke. It does seem pretty stupid to me, though.

While I can understand why people would get upset over this, but the whole suggestion of "not posting your artwork online" isn't that bad of one. If such an issue would actually bother them this much, such a suggestion would probably be a good idea. Otherwise, they shouldn't be nearly as worried if they never planned on their artwork hitting the market/industry anyway. The only real problem is that people have the need to attention-whore their work online for pageviews on DA. Not that all artists are like this, but many are. It's just like how the cosplay scene is at this point. Not for the love and passion for art, rather, just the urge to reach out for attention for their ability, for the sake of praise.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

K&K4ever

But when it's just someone like me who only wants to share their artwork on their own terms suddenly sees their own artwork in another persons hands saying that it was all theirs, and if a company uses the art for something without consulting the artist . . . let's just say this, IT IS A F***KING SLAP IN THE FACE FOR THE ARTIST!!!

I don't give a crap about page views, I just don't want people stealing my artwork (it's happened to a few friends of mine, and they were pissed as hell.)

Jun-Watarase

Real artists respect the work of others to belong to its original artist, REGARDLESS of law. Most people who steal art lack talent, in which case you have enough proof to show that you're the original artist. While I would be upset when people steal art, mine or someone else's regardless, most of the people who even dare being that petty aren't capable of doing much damage other than causing trouble and frustration from their idiocy.

If you planned on making something adequate enough to actually be paranoid whether or not someone will copyright it without your permission, you should take the responsibility to show only those you trust and eventually go through the effort to copyright your work before anyone is capable of stealing it.

NONETHELESS, I think this law is retarded. It's not that I agree with it at all, it's just, if that's the way things are, there's no trouble in making suggestions on how to deal with it and avoid conflict in terms of stealing art.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

K&K4ever

I don't want to be paranoid about it. I just want to show my work, and not have to go through ten thousand miles of red tape to insure that no one will try to steel it.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: K&K4ever on April 13, 2008, 11:25:24 PM
I don't want to be paranoid about it. I just want to show my work, and not have to go through ten thousand miles of red tape to insure that no one will try to steel it.

Exactly why this law is just retarded.

FanimaidCafe.com

K&K4ever

Tony

... the hell? Am I missing something? I don't see any reason for outrage or concern.

If your art is stolen or misused, what do you think is going to happen, anyway? You still have to defend your work. Even a copyright has to be enforced. Such a proposed law (if it even exists) would only make it easier to use works that people didn't bother to sign/defend.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Moonblossom

If you download and read the entire bill, it does make it fairly clear that this is for cases of old artwork with no clear owner. If you can prove you created the piece (WIPs for digital art, RAW photos with EXIF data for photography, etc), you will still be entitled to legal rights (ie remove it or receive royalties) should you find someone using it in a truly illegitimate manner.

K&K4ever

The thing is we didn't HAVE to worry about this so much, but now . . . ARGE

Jun-Watarase

Well, again, my other post had said, regardless of this law.... real artists respect other artists' work, and if your work is stolen you defend for it as usual. You should be able to if you're the original artist. You had to do this even without this law. I also doubt most people would actually go through the trouble of copyrighting your work to their own name, but I know some people can be this petty. Despite that, if what Moonblossom said was true, then there really isn't anything to worry about.

FanimaidCafe.com

K&K4ever

I sure hope you're right about that

Stormfalcon

Do keep in mind that there is, at this time, no actual bill to look up.  They have had hearings recently to revisit the issue since the 2006 failure to pass this kind of legislation, and it's quite likely that they will come up with something in the near future.  However, there is no bill (let alone law) at this time.  All that means is that we need to keep a wary eye on Congress for when they come up with something this year.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

K&K4ever

JohnnyAR

G.I.R

Quote from: JohnnyAR on April 18, 2008, 12:54:42 PM
Wtf is this country coming to?
Four years or more of sweeping  up after what the current administration leaves behind.

K&K4ever

Moonblossom

Quote from: K&K4ever on April 14, 2008, 09:23:26 PM
There looking at it now

Source please? There is no current evidence that they're re-tabling this bill or anything at all right now. The guy who made the intial blog post stumbled across an old article and panicked.

K&K4ever