Question about "those" paddels

Started by Knightfire, April 16, 2008, 11:14:51 AM

Knightfire

Familiar with those yaoi and yuri paddels? Well I had an idea of making a custom one that read "WEEABOO" across it. However, a good friend of mine told me that the wooden paddels were banned from the con. So my question was could I make a foam one or paddels all together got the Ban Hammer?
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Jun-Watarase

Oh god.

I don't know if introducing more weapons to hit other people with to this crowd may be a good idea.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

kyochan

i only heard about the ban, but i cant confirm it. sorry can't help ya, but IIRC there's a forum topic (probably locked now) in regards to this topic.
Mah dead branches will pwn joo! >=D<br /> - Kyochan

Jun-Watarase

Now that I think about it, I think they were banned at Fanime last year, in regards to selling them at least... but those who brought them just got them peace-bonded or something because I DID see them around. Don't know about an overall ban, but it's not too unlikely.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Knightfire

So this would be something to ask con ops then?

suna_no_yoroi

Yeah I don't know about this year, but I bought a YAOI paddle last year.  They made you get them peace bonded, and just didn't let you spank people, but you could carry them around.

dibbly

i would just get one of those water noodles and write "weeaboo" across one end.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

Nyxyin

According to http://www.fanime.com/file_download/29/Fanime+2008+Weapons+Policy.doc they're allowing bokken and sticks, and a paddle seems reasonably similar to a staff to me.  So, I think what suna_no_yoroi said about last year is probably still true.  It sounds like it's probably OK as long as you get it peace-bonded and you don't swing it around or hit or even threaten to hit anybody with it.

The weapons policy seems very restrictive.  "Anything that could be used in a menacing manner" is a weapon, and "effectiveness of the object or the skill of the person in possession of the object is not relevant when determining whether or not the object is a weapon".  So, since martial artists can probably use their bare hands rather effectively in a menacing manner, does that mean everybody has to cosplay and we have to get our bare hands peace-bonded, or do we just have to put our hands in bags that render them ineffective?  ;)

PyronIkari

Seriously... these are the STUPIDEST THING EVER to come out of American fandom of JP. Why in the hell do people pay 20-40$ for something essentially so stupid, that the entire basis of it doesn't make sense.

Steve.Young

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 16, 2008, 08:06:16 PM
Seriously... these are the STUPIDEST THING EVER to come out of American fandom of JP. Why in the hell do people pay 20-40$ for something essentially so stupid, that the entire basis of it doesn't make sense.

You know, that right there describes a LOT of products in American society.  :D
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

IamTetsuo

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 16, 2008, 10:25:14 PM
You know, that right there describes a LOT of products in American society.  :D

Yeah but those paddles are a lot more stupid than most.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Nyxyin on April 16, 2008, 06:49:44 PM
"Anything that could be used in a menacing manner" is a weapon, and "effectiveness of the object or the skill of the person in possession of the object is not relevant when determining whether or not the object is a weapon".
A SPORK IS A DEADLY WEAPON. IT CAN SPOOK AND FORK YOUR EYE OUT. :0000
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Knightfire

That's why I'm making my own.

quantbits

I hate those things myself.

The only paddle I'd make is "dumba**" to counter all the yaoi and yuri paddles for retribution purposes if they come in for first strike.

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Kazuko

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Wapanese <--Weeaboo, Kinda like wigger but obsessing with japanese rather than black culture

I find thoes paddles very stupid as well, paddles are for rowing foo~

what is the purpose anyway

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

PyronIkari

Quote from: Kazuko on April 19, 2008, 01:58:18 AM
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Wapanese <--Weeaboo, Kinda like wigger but obsessing with japanese rather than black culture

I find thoes paddles very stupid as well, paddles are for rowing foo~

what is the purpose anyway

To prove that anime fans are stupid and will buy anything "Japanese".

Amon_Devilman

Kid, ignore the haters, make your own paddle, and enjoy the con.