Rock Band Tourney

Started by God91125, April 19, 2008, 10:43:41 AM

God91125

I know theres going to be one but what are the rules? I read that it was going to be based all on the high score of the band, but wouldn't that mean that everyone would have to do the same song to keep that regulated?

I was just curious as too how it would be decided I thought it was going to be based on style XD Any information would be great cause me and my band need to practise.

JTchinoy

I'm working this out right now.  I'm currently picking out a given list of 6 songs or so that have to be played.  I'm thinking percentage of max possible score to keep it simpler, but I need to get all the tiny details figured out before I announce everything.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 19, 2008, 12:54:03 PM
I'm working this out right now.  I'm currently picking out a given list of 6 songs or so that have to be played.  I'm thinking percentage of max possible score to keep it simpler, but I need to get all the tiny details figured out before I announce everything.
Percentage of max possible score? Is this including special glitches or not? Is this including star power stuff and multipliers or not?

There's nuances to this game that people don't understand still. Timing of using meter in conjunction with others using meter in a song is very important. I can miss 20 notes in a song, and still beat someone that 100% a song by knowing WHEN to use meter(ESPECIALLY in 4 player mode) along with anyone else. So I hope you know this game EXTREMELY WELL if you're going to talk about percentages. There's also a few songs you get bonus points for doing absolutely nothing with vocals or by just going AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH at parts near the end for no reason as well.

I've helped others organize tournaments for this. Realistically, the best way to do it, is elimination mode. bracket it out like normal, each band plays the same song, just, who ever has the higher score wins. Each level of the bracket will have 1 or two songs, if it's two songs the scores are added up. This creates a measurement beyond "who is more accurate" but forces the players to learn every song, and incoorporates every player. The song list is tricky too, picking a song that is extremely easy for 3 players and is super hard for say... the drummer, doesn't measure the "band". It measures the drummer, and everyone else is just left overs. Green Grass for example, is only hard for the guitarist, everyone else is on easy street, so that doesn't really measure a good band, just a good guitarist.

Also, will their be use of downloadable content? Although this creates unfair advantages for people that do and do not download, the downloadable content has a wider variety of song type/skill usages. Will they be used?

Etc. etc. etc.

There's lots of factors, hope you'r'e keeping them in mind.

JTchinoy

i must've been out of it when i posted earlier.

thanks for the suggestion.  can you help pick out the songs? maybe suggest some that are more evenly distributed among the 4 instruments?

as stated before, we are going to do high score qualifiers before the tourney if more than 16 groups sign up.

I don't think we'll have downloaded content.  unless there's any reason that it'll enhance the tournament in a fair/ positive way, I don't think there's a need for it.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 19, 2008, 02:58:11 PM
i must've been out of it when i posted earlier.

thanks for the suggestion.  can you help pick out the songs? maybe suggest some that are more evenly distributed among the 4 instruments?

as stated before, we are going to do high score qualifiers before the tourney if more than 16 groups sign up.

I don't think we'll have downloaded content.  unless there's any reason that it'll enhance the tournament in a fair/ positive way, I don't think there's a need for it.

D/L songs in terms of instrument balance and difficulty are way better than base game songs. Any of the Metallica download songs are awesome as hell, so are a lot of the Boston stuff.

JTchinoy

do they have to be downloaded online or can you get them on to a memory stick then put into the game?
(i don't play rockband much/ at all)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 19, 2008, 03:10:19 PM
do they have to be downloaded online or can you get them on to a memory stick then put into the game?
lololololol

You'd have to use a hard drive with the songs downloaded onto them. Whoever's 360 you're using, needs to be someone's that has all the songs unlocked. So if you're bringing in a random 360 and sticking in the game... it's going to suck because you'll have crap for song selection.

JTchinoy

we might use ps3.  Is there a reason 360 is better?

thanks for bringing that up, i'll talk to richard about it to make sure the systems we use have the songs.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 19, 2008, 03:10:19 PM

Do you mean like getting a song off of your computer(or Ipod, etc) and putting it on the game?

If so, no, you cannot, as far as I know anyways.

The EXTRA songs need to be bought off of XBOX LIVE (for 360) and downloaded onto the Hard drive.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

M

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 19, 2008, 03:38:40 PM
we might use ps3.  Is there a reason 360 is better?

thanks for bringing that up, i'll talk to richard about it to make sure the systems we use have the songs.

Also, the issue with using Rock Band for a tournament is that the controllers have been known to be very flimsy. In an environment where many players will be using the same "instrument", I would suggest that you have a very good method of testing and insuring that the controllers work.

Also, use score. Things like 'squeezing star power' causes people to have ridiculous scores. Message me sometime. ;)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

God91125

Hmm this will be very intresting two more questiosn will the Rock Band tourneys (along with iothers) be posted with the schedule? and Can be bring our own instruments and files? See what I mean when I say this kinda tourney is hard to regulate :P

PyronIkari

Quote from: God91125 on April 20, 2008, 07:55:45 AM
Hmm this will be very intresting two more questiosn will the Rock Band tourneys (along with iothers) be posted with the schedule? and Can be bring our own instruments and files? See what I mean when I say this kinda tourney is hard to regulate :P

Not that I'm staff, but why would you need to bring your own files? The only thing on there will be your custom character/band, but that's actually pretty irrelevent stuff to the tournament and more than anything would just be a pain in the ass to switch memory cards, loading, signing out, signing back in, etc. etc. etc.

In terms of fairness, I would say it'd be better if there's universal instruments that are used, but I also see a large reason as to why using your own is better(in terms of preference for people that like RB guitars better, or have broken in their own guitars etc). However this will take time once more, to remove resign in etc. So staff will decide ultimately, but just saying there's good reasons to disallow, and allow it.

JT: yeah, seriously... talk to Milton. Milton knows the game far better than I do, even though he sucks at it.

God91125

Ah ok well I was just wondering otherwise thank you I'm hoping I can use the Guitar Hero Guitars cause the Rock Band ones give me a lot of trouble haha.

M

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 20, 2008, 09:12:10 AM
Not that I'm staff, but why would you need to bring your own files? The only thing on there will be your custom character/band, but that's actually pretty irrelevent stuff to the tournament and more than anything would just be a pain in the ass to switch memory cards, loading, signing out, signing back in, etc. etc. etc.

In terms of fairness, I would say it'd be better if there's universal instruments that are used, but I also see a large reason as to why using your own is better(in terms of preference for people that like RB guitars better, or have broken in their own guitars etc). However this will take time once more, to remove resign in etc. So staff will decide ultimately, but just saying there's good reasons to disallow, and allow it.

JT: yeah, seriously... talk to Milton. Milton knows the game far better than I do, even though he sucks at it.
Changing login names between matches would add up to a lot of wasted time... I don't think showing off your character is worth it.

As for universal instruments, I wouldn't mind letting players bring their own controllers, but this would have to be regulated (i.e. "Only Guitar controllers can be used for the Guitar and Bass players" to avoid the reg. Xbox/Playstation controllers to be used) as some people prefer their own equipment anyways (I hate the feeling of a non-broken in guitar).

Sidenote: Just like DDR, I'm terrible at the game but I make up for that with knowing how the game works inside and out. ;D

Sidenote Addition: Mikey sucks at drums.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

xRaMeNx117

Well I work for the sac anime game room, and I held a rockband tournament at our show in january. I had it as a freestyle competition where judges picked winners for how well they looked performing. You could judge by score but there are many factors you have to consider especially with the staf power bonus's n such. As for song selection I took requests on our fourms for DLC and used the unlock all songs cheat at the start so bands could have access to all songs. I could possibly help if needed.
XBL GamerTag: xViciousxRamenx

God91125

ok so now I'm confused is there no more Rock Band tourney and whats Rock Band open mic? I mean I get what it is but anyone have any specfic info?

JTchinoy

sorry, they left me in the dark on this too.

pretty much there'll be casuals rockband, but no tournament.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

God91125

Ah wells tis all good and fun right :D

Jane_HTGPanel

OH POOH!

I was really hoping to compete in the Rockband tourney :(

I guess I might stop by and wail a few ridiculous rockband songs, at open mic, anyhow....  :/