What grinds your gears?

Started by Amon_Devilman, April 21, 2008, 10:36:04 PM

SOawesomeness

I hate how my school is so full of over-achieving [people] that the "regular" people can't keep up and aren't chosen to do extra-curricular things just because their GPA isn't high enough.
Note that even the regular people are smarter than the average student in California, too. D:<

In turn, it'd be harder for the regular people to go to an okay college (e.g. UC's) because all the over-achieving people makes them look like idiots in comparison. D:<<

I hate my school a lot. D:<
[/rant] =.=;;
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

XpHoBiaX

Yuu:
I know you weren't. I just thought I'd comment on the qoute. lol Seriously, after my parents did that...I developed a paranoia over my things.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on June 03, 2008, 07:28:17 PM
I hate how my school is so full of over-achieving [people] that the "regular" people can't keep up and aren't chosen to do extra-curricular things just because their GPA isn't high enough.
Note that even the regular people are smarter than the average student in California, too. D:<

In turn, it'd be harder for the regular people to go to an okay college (e.g. UC's) because all the over-achieving people makes them look like idiots in comparison. D:<<

[/rant] =.=;;

What? That's silly. Academic standards aren't so much based on intelligence than they are in work ethic. As long as you're smart enough to know how to work, you're "smart enough". Overachievers and students with higher GPAs are just people who are willing to work hard enough to surpass the rest of their competition. It isn't that hard to get into a UC.

As long as you're willing to work really hard, appear clean-cut, and use some common sense... developing social skills to make contacts and working to build up a good record, a lot of things can be done. It's all a matter of whether or not you're willing to push yourself to do so.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

XpHoBiaX

Well, I found out that my rat has a disease in his tail that made it necrotic. Just fucking lovily. I don't have funds to take him to a vet, and most likely will have to cut the tip of his tail off MYSELF. In hopes that the disease won't spread and KILL him.

I will never EVER leave any future pet with a caretaker ever again.

2010 cosplay...?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on June 04, 2008, 01:06:31 PM
Well, I found out that my rat has a disease in his tail that made it necrotic. Just fucking lovily. I don't have funds to take him to a vet, and most likely will have to cut the tip of his tail off MYSELF. In hopes that the disease won't spread and KILL him.

I will never EVER leave any future pet with a caretaker ever again.

Oh god, that's terrible. ;__;

I would be in total shock if my rat had necrosis anywhere in that situation. Just be careful to disinfect his tail constantly, as rodents love to desecrate everywhere which is hazardous from all the bacteria. If possible, even tightly bandage it with whatever you can during the first day-- hopefully he won't gnaw it off and whatnot. Oh man, that's just... horrible. I hope he'll make it out okay. Did you ever find out how it even happened?

That reminds me. I HATE it when ants find their way into my pets' tank/cages/food bowls. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it really annoys me. I don't want ants irritating my pets, especially not in their food. I spotted an ant in our snake's tank the other day and got Mikey to help me get rid of all the bedding asap. It's weird, as our snake eats all his food without leaving a trace while I'm there monitoring him, so I don't see why ants should have the gull to infiltrate his lovely abode. >:(

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

XpHoBiaX

I am going to call the vet and see how much it would cost to clip off about an inch of his tail. I can't bring myself to do it, for fear that it may get infected afterwards. Also see how much antibiotics are, and see if I can raise money to help him.

2010 cosplay...?

rubymoonIII

hmm what grinds my gears  is... when my dogs start jumping all over me while i'm sleeping DX
@Digitalberii <--Twitter

JohnnyAR

My dog constanly pissing everywhere I walk, its like he's setting traps for me.

Silent_Notes

stupid questions grind my gears
BlameCaine

rubymoonIII

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 04, 2008, 02:47:03 PM

my sisters dog is the trap setter my dog is like the solid snake of the pack she sneaks up on me jus to dance with me
@Digitalberii <--Twitter

SOawesomeness

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 04, 2008, 02:47:03 PM
xD OMG My dog does that, too. I love him to death, but does he REALLY have to pee like... everywhere?
Even on walks, he takes like, 5 steps and then lifts his leg to go pee... D:

EDIT:
OH, another thing that grinds my gears: when my heart skips beats for no damn good reason. D:< And I mean literally, it skips beats. D: Apparently it could be to too much caffeine intake (I don't drink caffeine, really...) or lack of sleep, but I actually slept a long time last night. D: Uncool...
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

Kaura117

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 03, 2008, 09:44:14 PM
Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on June 03, 2008, 07:28:17 PM

[/rant] =.=;;

What? That's silly. Academic standards aren't so much based on intelligence than they are in work ethic. As long as you're smart enough to know how to work, you're "smart enough". Overachievers and students with higher GPAs are just people who are willing to work hard enough to surpass the rest of their competition. It isn't that hard to get into a UC.

As long as you're willing to work really hard, appear clean-cut, and use some common sense... developing social skills to make contacts and working to build up a good record, a lot of things can be done. It's all a matter of whether or not you're willing to push yourself to do so.

Confirming the bolded line. As long as you meet either of the minimum requirements, whether it be GPA+min test scores or just straight out bloody high scores in your ACT or SAT, the UC guarantees a spot for you- usually in Merced or Riverside. I got into the latter via sleeping through all of Junior and Senior year, but acing the standardized tests (they're easy, dammit, if you high school kiddies can just stop stressing over them for once). Worst mistake I've ever made was to accept entry into the UC system via their test score exempt system- intelligence is, in fact, a far second to work ethic.

SOawesomeness

Well, Merced and Riverside is a given... I was personally talking more about Davis. >.> And my GPA isn't average at Davis or Riverside because all the students at my school raise the bar really high and make teachers grade harder (and I'm TOTALLY not BSing this one), another thing that totally freaking grinds my gears. D:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

rubymoonIII

rick rolls they grind my gears
its getting old btw is there a counter to a rick roll
@Digitalberii <--Twitter

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on June 04, 2008, 06:47:30 PM
Well, Merced and Riverside is a given... I was personally talking more about Davis. >.> And my GPA isn't average at Davis or Riverside because all the students at my school raise the bar really high and make teachers grade harder (and I'm TOTALLY not BSing this one), another thing that totally freaking grinds my gears. D:

Davis isn't that hard to get into, either. An average, or slightly above average GPA would get you in, Freshman year. As long as you're willing to do the the work and procedures to get into it straight from high school, then you should have no problem. If your GPA is less than average, you could easily sign up for a transfer program and take 2 years of community college until you have your GEs done and transfer in as a junior. Again, it isn't a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of whether or not you're willing to do the work. UCs are overrated in terms of difficulty of being accepted. Compare to Columbia, or any of its sister schools. Compare with Art Center.

Depending on what you want to do, yes, intelligence, ability, talent, AND work ethic are all important... but you're trying to get into a UC. It's average. Both smart and normal people get into UCs. You just have to work for it, and in comparison to the schools I last mentioned above, the work is just about average, as well.

But I wouldn't even think about going into a university if you have absolutely no idea on what direction you're trying to take. Messing around in a university costs both time and money. But if you are considering getting into a UC, I would suggest taking the extra effort to apply for several scholarships to help you along the way. Not only would they help fund your education, but they'll serve as motivation to keep your grade up-- because in most cases, if you're not going to take advantage of the benefits they give you, you're stripped of your opportunity to stay there.

FanimaidCafe.com

SOawesomeness

(: Thanks for the information.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

otakuapprentice

Quote from: rubymoonIII on June 04, 2008, 06:52:28 PM
rick rolls they grind my gears
its getting old btw is there a counter to a rick roll
maybe a reverse rickroll(play it backwards and listen for the satanic messages, lol)??

what grinds my gears? 1940's rationing(government cheese, no thank you).
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Kazuko

Currently what grinds my gears i that today I was informed that I have to go to my cousins graduation on friday at 7 in SF...I get off work at 6 and it takes an hour to get there D: if only I was told earlier and I dont know if its possible to get an eariler shift

*headdesk*

rude32

Quote from: Kazuko on June 04, 2008, 08:13:55 PM
Currently what grinds my gears i that today I was informed that I have to go to my cousins graduation on friday at 7 in SF...I get off work at 6 and it takes an hour to get there D: if only I was told earlier and I dont know if its possible to get an eariler shift

*headdesk*
What grinds my gears is wet socks. It's the most disgusting feeling in the world.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Mister_E

Quote from: rude32 on June 04, 2008, 08:38:38 PM
Quote from: Kazuko on June 04, 2008, 08:13:55 PM

*headdesk*
What grinds my gears is wet socks. It's the most disgusting feeling in the world.
it's putting them on is when ticks me off, something they rip.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%