What grinds your gears?

Started by Amon_Devilman, April 21, 2008, 10:36:04 PM

Yuu

Otaku who go to animation/art school and call themselves 'artists'.

" I know this place is messy cluttered with so much shit that you can't walk but as an artists I need a lot of supplies"

" Oh did you draw that? I'm an artists let me give you advice"

" Well, I'm an artist so I'm kind of anal about color "

" Let me see! I have an artist eye for things.

I'v been drawing since I was two but I'm not in art school so I don't know a damned thing about art.

I am however working on a degree in Law so I guess  I can go around to crime scenes and say " Don't worry I'm a lawyer!"         

" As a Lawyer, I advise you not to speak on this matter"

" Oh, yea, that's totally legal, I know cuz I'm a lawyer"

Really,otaku in animation/art in general.
You have turned someone who has always loved art into one of those horrible 'art is useless' people. You must be very proud.

rubymoonIII

i was an artist in artists row one year and sometimes people would not show up to get their work and id be stuck with it till they came back id ask for a cell phone number to call them and they wouldn't pick up >:(
@Digitalberii <--Twitter

Kaura117

You know what really grinds my gears?

Apathy.

The sentiment that things are fucked anyhow, and that you can't do shit about it, so why bother, really grinds my gears. Things are fucked up because there aren't enough people caring enough to force a change to the status quo! Don't give me the "human condition" bullshit- the only constant damned thing about the human condition is that we have an overriding operative to adapt the human condition to fit our environment! Things are fucked and things will continue to be fucked because people who could have stood up refused to do so! American democracy is fucked because not enough of you bright and cynical bastards are bright enough to pool your damned vote! Your religion's public reputation's fucked because you lot are too damned meek to stand up against the belligerent posturing of the louder, crazier, and more self-righteous part of your congregation!

It isn't because the least common denominator is as crass, boorish and dumb as it appears- it's because the damned LCD is too spineless to stand up against those few too brainless to know that they're dragging down the level of public discourse.

AND THAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS!

Yuu

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 05, 2008, 03:42:23 PM

Apathy.

The sentiment that things are fucked anyhow, and that you can't do shit about it, so why bother, really grinds my gears. Things are fucked up because there aren't enough people caring enough to force a change to the status quo! Don't give me the "human condition" bullshit- the only constant damned thing about the human condition is that we have an overriding operative to adapt the human condition to fit our environment! Things are fucked and things will continue to be fucked because people who could have stood up refused to do so! American democracy is fucked because not enough of you bright and cynical bastards are bright enough to pool your damned vote! Your religion's public reputation's fucked because you lot are too damned meek to stand up against the belligerent posturing of the louder, crazier, and more self-righteous part of your congregation!

It isn't because the least common denominator is as crass, boorish and dumb as it appears- it's because the damned LCD is too spineless to stand up against those few too brainless to know that they're dragging down the level of public discourse.

I couldn't agree more.
There's actually nothing I hate more than people who wont ifight for what they want. It's the reason I'm going into law.

I used to have go to Dialysis, they took away  all our rights while we were there and told s to 'be greatful we were alive"

People would bitch and moan and complain, but I was the only one who would try to fight them. Persistence only got me so far because
giant corporations adhere only to the law. I decided that once I got out of that hell hole I'd learn the laws and use it against them. 

It's been little more than a year since I got off of Dialysis and I've learned quite a bit about using the law against those who claim to uphold it. I'm really amazed at how many times it has worked.
Best of all, it REALLY pisses them off because they know they can't argue with it.
The greatest victory of all was against those asses at Sakuracon. I was so very cocky about it and they said NOTHING.

Kind of a rant, I know. My point is that for the few us who want to fight, the law is NOT your enemy.

XpHoBiaX

Having to put down my pet rat. Becuase I didn't have funds to help him get better.

The dumb jerk that was at the tattoo studio saying " Not to be a herk but rats don't last that long, usually a couple months and just fed to snake....lol"

The audacity of that comment made me want to beat the ever loving shit out of him. But you can't fix stupid and you can't 'educate' someone like that about a domesticated rat breed specificaly for domestic life as a pet. They just won't listen. (This wasn't from the guy I am apprenticing from btw)

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Kaura117

Quote from: Yuu on June 05, 2008, 04:33:11 PM

Apathy.

I couldn't agree more.
There's actually nothing I hate more than people who wont ifight for what they want. It's the reason I'm going into law.

I used to have go to Dialysis, they took away  all our rights while we were there and told s to 'be greatful we were alive"

People would bitch and moan and complain, but I was the only one who would try to fight them. Persistence only got me so far because
giant corporations adhere only to the law. I decided that once I got out of that hell hole I'd learn the laws and use it against them. 

It's been little more than a year since I got off of Dialysis and I've learned quite a bit about using the law against those who claim to uphold it. I'm really amazed at how many times it has worked.
Best of all, it REALLY pisses them off because they know they can't argue with it.
The greatest victory of all was against those asses at Sakuracon. I was so very cocky about it and they said NOTHING.

Kind of a rant, I know. My point is that for the few us who want to fight, the law is NOT your enemy.

Hm. We'll have to agree to disagree on your last point, I'd say. I do consider the Law to be an enemy, knowing what I do about how they're made, and the intent they're made with. Institutionalized privilege is still privilege- private law. There are countless literal tons of laws in the book that are designed either explicitly or implicitly to give one group an unfair advantage over another- not in the name of justice or truth or merit, but in the name of personal gain. I'd even go so far as to argue that the main problem with legislators is that they're lawyers, and so they have a vested interest in creating legislature that necessitates a lawyer in order to unravel or adhere to.

Not because lawyers are intrinsically evil, of course, but because lawyers are intrinsically human, and I don't have too many issueswith the underlying principles of capitalism- that people are motivated by their self-interests.

Of course, it's therefore in my own self-interest to act against this paradigm.

Glitch

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 06, 2008, 11:21:20 AM
Quote from: Yuu on June 05, 2008, 04:33:11 PM

Apathy.

I couldn't agree more.

Hm. We'll have to agree to disagree on your last point, I'd say. I do consider the Law to be an enemy, knowing what I do about how they're made, and the intent they're made with. Institutionalized privilege is still privilege- private law. There are countless literal tons of laws in the book that are designed either explicitly or implicitly to give one group an unfair advantage over another- not in the name of justice or truth or merit, but in the name of personal gain. I'd even go so far as to argue that the main problem with legislators is that they're lawyers, and so they have a vested interest in creating legislature that necessitates a lawyer in order to unravel or adhere to.

Not because lawyers are intrinsically evil, of course, but because lawyers are intrinsically human, and I don't have too many issueswith the underlying principles of capitalism- that people are motivated by their self-interests.

Of course, it's therefore in my own self-interest to act against this paradigm.
*plays Public Enemy's Fight The Power over loud speakers.*

BrightHeart76

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on June 06, 2008, 11:13:13 AM
Having to put down my pet rat. Becuase I didn't have funds to help him get better.

The dumb jerk that was at the tattoo studio saying " Not to be a herk but rats don't last that long, usually a couple months and just fed to snake....lol"

The audacity of that comment made me want to beat the ever loving shit out of him. But you can't fix stupid and you can't 'educate' someone like that about a domesticated rat breed specificaly for domestic life as a pet. They just won't listen. (This wasn't from the guy I am apprenticing from btw)

I'm so sorry to hear about your rat.  I know he (she?) meant a lot to you.  It's hard to explain to people how much pets mean, and how hard it is when they pass.  I can't help much from here, but know I'm thinking good thoughts for you.

What grinds my gears?  People who speed thru my parking lot at 4 o'clock in the morning and wake me up.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Raydere

Setting my alarm at 10, but then waking up and pushing it back, then waking up again and pushing it back, etc.

And then I wake up at 12 and the entire morning's gone.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

JohnnyAR

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on June 06, 2008, 11:13:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your rat, I know how you feel. My Cockatiel flew away couple years ago, I've had that bird for half my life. Even though it wasn't like he died when I had him, but it was just as painful. Its unfortunate thing for your rat to die, but you put him (or her) down because it was suffering right?

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 06, 2008, 01:23:03 PM
Its unfortunate thing for your rat to die, but you put him down because it was suffering right?
Yes, it was the more humaine thing to do. I couldn't afford to pay and continue to pay for a long term care. In retrospect a day later, I sorta luagh at when I told the nurse "Oh my God, I am going to go to Hell for killing my pet." But she shook her head and said the same thing you did. I still feel bad about it...but I know he's up there in Rat Heaven, porking out on rat nummies.

It grinds my gears, becuase it really made me think about how much influence money has on us. You either have it or you don't. And if you don't, your pretty much screwed. Sometimes I wish there was a way to do things differently, a favor for favor. But as we all know, you can't trust people to be honest and keep their word. :/

2010 cosplay...?

SOawesomeness

It grinds my gears so much when my mom says "you should be studying for your SAT II's tomorrow, what are you doing watching something on your computer?!"

She doesn't understand that I'm developing health problems due to so much stress and she won't listen to anything I say, even if it's along the lines of "I've been studying all I can, even during classes, I'm trying my best but I need to take a break today."

She also doesn't understand that when I lock my door, I want it closed, not forced back open. I want some privacy, and I want to stay away from her for a while. D:< Damn this stupid house with it's stupid easy-to-open doors.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

XpHoBiaX

Yeah I know that one. I "moved" out. Even though I don't have a room...I am much happier to at least have a place where nothing is sifted through, thrown out, 'borrowed' and I have free roam of the house. (whithin reason)

That and my grandparents are more fun to be around then my mom and her husband.

2010 cosplay...?

Yuu

People who use 'stress' as an excuse.

My grandmother called me the other day after a kidney biopsy to see if it was being rejected that I did after looking for a job so that I can pay rent and eventually move out of the hell hole I live in, while I was trying to fill out paper work to appeal financial aid after I had to drop a class and lose my lab credits from doctor appointments. She asks " Oh, do you think maybe your kidney is being rejected because of stress?"

" No, no it isn't. That's a load of bullshit."  Really, it wasn't a big deal. It was a lot of things at once, but nothing that I can't handle by simply keeping my wits about me.  ( yea, yea, 'mines worse' I know)  It's really nothing more than different sides of the same coin.

I don't care how much is going on at once. Yea you may get tired and even headache-y but I do not believe for an instant that it can make you sick enough to be considered a reasonable excuse to not do anything, unless you let it.

What I hate even more, is getting home from a generally crappy day and while quietly keeping it to myself having to hear " OMG! I am SO stressed out cuz my teacher is giving me homework and she needs to understand that I have cosplay costumes to make! I'm gonna report her!"  ::)

Kaura117

Quote from: Yuu on June 06, 2008, 08:04:55 PM

My grandmother called me the other day after a kidney biopsy to see if it was being rejected that I did after looking for a job so that I can pay rent and eventually move out of the hell hole I live in, while I was trying to fill out paper work to appeal financial aid after I had to drop a class and lose my lab credits from doctor appointments. She asks " Oh, do you think maybe your kidney is being rejected because of stress?"

" No, no it isn't. That's a load of bullshit."  Really, it wasn't a big deal. It was a lot of things at once, but nothing that I can't handle by simply keeping my wits about me.  ( yea, yea, 'mines worse' I know)  It's really nothing more than different sides of the same coin.

I don't care how much is going on at once. Yea you may get tired and even headache-y but I do not believe for an instant that it can make you sick enough to be considered a reasonable excuse to not do anything, unless you let it.

What I hate even more, is getting home from a generally crappy day and while quietly keeping it to myself having to hear " OMG! I am SO stressed out cuz my teacher is giving me homework and she needs to understand that I have cosplay costumes to make! I'm gonna report her!"  ::)

...that is a dangerous line of reasoning. Psychological stress has quantifiable physiological impact. Stress does kill- it's just that the average high school kiddie whining about homework hasn't really met that level of stress before. Or probably ever will.

SOawesomeness

I go to one of the more stressful high schools in California, and it's not very fun having finals next week, SAT II's, and... so as my heart is constantly skipping more beats, I'm still studying but trying to limit myself, so I'm not dropping everything because of stress. It was just for that hour. So in turn, I guess I grind my own gears with my lack of a lot of things. ^^;; So, sorry if I offended you.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

Yuu

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 06, 2008, 08:47:05 PM
Quote from: Yuu on June 06, 2008, 08:04:55 PM

...that is a dangerous line of reasoning. Psychological stress has quantifiable physiological impact. Stress does kill- it's just that the average high school kiddie whining about homework hasn't really met that level of stress before. Or probably ever will.

Fair enough. I suppose a severe, and I mean SEVERE amount of stress can make one sick. It's just that NONE of the whining I've heard has got anywhere near that level.

Not the first I've been told my line of thinking is 'dangerous' either but I'm still here. *Shrug*

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on June 06, 2008, 08:55:50 PM
I go to one of the more stressful high schools in California, and it's not very fun having finals next week, SAT II's, and... so as my heart is constantly skipping more beats, I'm still studying but trying to limit myself, so I'm not dropping everything because of stress. It was just for that hour. So in turn, I guess I grind my own gears with my lack of a lot of things. ^^;; So, sorry if I offended you.

Offended? Not at all. Just giving my thoughts. Nothing wrong with taking a break for an hour either.

questionette

I already posted this in the "complain about whatever you want" thread, buttt i'm gonna post it again lol

I was set on getting around ~ a 4.1 GPA this semester, I had all A's (except math, B-, but I had AP classes that would bring my weighted GPA up anyways so w/e) and then, I get my report card.  I got an 89.3% in one class, and an 89.8% in another

HOW FRIGGEN ANNOYING IS THAT???

and I can't even do anything like talk to my teacher about it because it's the end of the year!

boiajsdoifjasdkj

SOawesomeness

D: Yeah, that happened to me once, except it was worse...

I got a 79.8% in one class, thus giving me a "C". D: It was so not fun to discover that.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

XpHoBiaX

I never took a SAT or ACT, I found them stupid and a waste of money. Forgive me, but I was rarely around average until I went to independant study. (Then my grades were 96.2%)

I think the way Highschool curriculum (sp?) is tuaght is for the birds. Not everyone can learn or be tuaght the same way.
And I think measuring someones' intelligence with a test is dumb too. You don't truly know what a person is capable of until you work with them on a personal level. You can't just generally assume that people between certain percentages/averages are smarter or less intellignt then the other.

lol Though, those that have done exceptionally well in school, congrats and I hope you get into wherever you want to go too!

...and that is my grind.

2010 cosplay...?