What grinds your gears?

Started by Amon_Devilman, April 21, 2008, 10:36:04 PM

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Yuu on June 11, 2008, 07:59:52 PM
Quote from: BrightHeart76 on June 11, 2008, 06:00:54 PM
What grinds my gears is medicines that are supposed to help me, but make me feel like warmed up dog doo while I'm taking them.  ICK.   :(

Che, even worse people talking about things they couldn't possibly understand.

This medicine I used to take to not die was so disgusting that I felt like utter shit everyday.

I was lucky, most others who have to take it deveolped stumoch cancer/ulcers at a young age.
Also one of the chemicals smelled SO bad that a handful of kids actually committed suicide from being made fun of for the way it smelled Stupid. They should have just stopped taking it. They wouldn't be made fun of and died anyway.

Of coarse, people who had NO idea, doctors mostly, my sister especially, would have the gall to say something like "Well if it keeps you alive then I wouldn't complain" Mind you my siser whiiiines if she has to take anti-biotics.

Oh, and another thing. People who have to argue about EVERYTHING. Especially when it's so very inconsequential and with NO basis.

I was just telling my roomate that "Valkyrie Profile;Silmeria 'is so damned pretty
". She responded "
Meh, I think it's behind the times."

Pointless, baseless, and ..just...incomprehensible  Mind you she has only seen maybe 10 minutes of in game graphics.

Actually, while I understand what you mean, I find it more irritating when people have the mentality of "No one understands my pain! Any pain that you've suffered, I've gone through worse!". The type of people who try to induce some sort of pity competition of, "Well, my life is worse than yours." and comforting others with, "That's okay. If you think that's bad, I went through [insert random bad situation here]." and assume it makes people feel better. It doesn't.

You have the right to complain about your issues, while your sister is allowed to complain about her antibiotics. Yes, it's irritating when people whine about little things that they could just easily let go or not care about-- things that are so little in comparison to whatever hardship you've undergone that it's irritating how unaware they are of their luck, and blah blah blah blah blah.

But people have different scales in terms of what causes them pain, some are stronger than others, while some grow with experience to become stronger. Pain is pain, and everyone suffers through something.

Both sides are pretty irritating, but it's subjective. Like, I have allergies... almost daily. Sometimes they become extremely severe, and I want to claw my sinuses out. Even though I've had them since childhood, it's something so irritating that I don't "get used to it". If someone with a clinical disease were to come up to me and say, "Well, your allergies are nothing. I'm always sick, and it's really bad." I'd be pretty upset. Just because they supposedly have it worse, doesn't make what I may undergo "nothing".

And if it were something stupid like... someone bugging me for pity because they didn't get the right color car they wanted from their parents' birthday gift while I have to buy my own from scratch and pay everything on my own and whatnot, that'd be pretty irritating too.

I can name tons of scenarios, real ones, personal ones-- but those are some basic examples of how it goes both ways.

Bottom line is... what grinds my gears? Pity competitions.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Yuu

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 11, 2008, 08:48:24 PM

Me? Pity?  Oh, I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little boy!

..You really DON'T get it.

It isn't worth my time to argue this one. I don't need to.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Yuu on June 11, 2008, 09:07:20 PM

... But that's exactly what you did... so I don't get how you can argue it.

Jun-Watarase

If you read correctly, I both agreed with you on one side and provided you with my opinion of the other side. Both of which can be irritating, while others are more justified. But with an assumption like "...You really DON'T get it", well, it really explains what I meant, and what kind of person you are, doesn't it?

"WAAHHH!! NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME!! You don't understand how I feel! I've gone through worse than EVERYONE ON THE PLANET!! WAHH!!" =,(

Come on. My point was, everyone suffers through something. Making a competition out of it doesn't make anyone feel any better.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Yuu

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 11, 2008, 09:40:10 PM

If you read correctly, I both agreed with you on one side and provided you with my opinion of the other side. Both of which can be irritating, while others are more justified. But with an assumption like "...You really DON'T get it", well, it really explains what I meant, and what kind of person you are, doesn't it?

"WAAHHH!! NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME!! You don't understand how I feel! I've gone through worse than EVERYONE ON THE PLANET!! WAHH!!" =,(

Come on. My point was, everyone suffers through something. Making a competition out of it doesn't make anyone feel any better.

Ah no. No, I am not that kind of person at all. I know many of them and they should all just drop dead if they can't handle it. In fact I said something to that effect in my first post.

I meant that you did not get my point, not my situation. In general I find that people just DO NOT 'get' that yes, I can talk about things like that without wanting pity.

Yes 'everyone suffers' and yes I HATE it when people make a comparison but you came to that conclusion on your own.

This is 'what grinds your gears'. So I agreed with you and then further stated 'what else grinds my gears'. There was no comparison there.

Now then, medicine that makes you sick sucks.
People expecting pity sucks.
Not being able to talk about something without someone automatically jumping to the wrong conclusion sucks.

Hell life sucks and then you die..(except me because I am immortal) and that's that. Moving on now.

The fact that Sonic has commercials here but NO restaurants anywhere in this state. That's just cruel.

Mister_E

Quote from: Yuu on June 11, 2008, 09:59:34 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 11, 2008, 09:40:10 PM

Ah no. No, I am not that kind of person at all. I know many of them and they should all just drop dead if they can't handle it. In fact I said something to that effect in my first post.

I meant that you did not get my point, not my situation. In general I find that people just DO NOT 'get' that yes, I can talk about things like that without wanting pity.

Yes 'everyone suffers' and yes I HATE it when people make a comparison but you came to that conclusion on your own.

This is 'what grinds your gears'. So I agreed with you and then further stated 'what else grinds my gears'. There was no comparison there.

Now then, medicine that makes you sick sucks.
Not being able to talk about something without someone automatically jumping to the wrong conclusion sucks.

Hell life sucks and then you die..(except me because I am immortal) and that's that. Moving on now.

The fact that Sonic has commercials here but NO restaurants anywhere in this state. That's just cruel.
I was just to one like 3 hours ago.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Kaura117

I dunno about the rest of ye, but I don't plan on EVER dying.

At least, not functionally.

I heard they finally perfected that synapse-mapping machine last year. If we assume nanotech and quantum-state tech advances as rapidly as Moore's Law predicts (and, hell, there are indicators that seem to suggest they may beat Moore's Law by a magnitude or two)... well, hell, I wouldn't say no to having my brain replaced piecemeal by a longer-lasting, faster-running equivalent. It's either that or having my own body betray me over time.

So, for tonight's gear-grinder: neophobic fatalists. Fuck y'all and your death and taxes bullshit- there's an infinite horizon out there, and I've yet to see a fraction of it all!

Mister_E

I'm just gonna wait till the Ghost in the Shell is real, then BOOM put my mind in a Box with arms.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Yuu

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 11, 2008, 10:04:47 PM
I dunno about the rest of ye, but I don't plan on EVER dying.

At least, not functionally.

I heard they finally perfected that synapse-mapping machine last year. If we assume nanotech and quantum-state tech advances as rapidly as Moore's Law predicts (and, hell, there are indicators that seem to suggest they may beat Moore's Law by a magnitude or two)... well, hell, I wouldn't say no to having my brain replaced piecemeal by a longer-lasting, faster-running equivalent. It's either that or having my own body betray me over time.

So, for tonight's gear-grinder: neophobic fatalists. Fuck y'all and your death and taxes bullshit- there's an infinite horizon out there, and I've yet to see a fraction of it all!

HA! Amen to that!

In family guy Stewy goes on a trip and says that " the only reason we die is because we accept it"  To an extent, I believe that.
I tend to think that more often than not if people would fight hard enough, instead of just accepting it, they could probably cheat death a few times.

As far as putting my brain into a robot..as long as it were a robot of my choice. I'd want want to be a ninja-bot personally.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Yuu on June 11, 2008, 09:59:34 PM

Ah, well... Glad to hear it. I know too many people that are. If you're strong enough to manage your own issues without forcing it upon others to take pity upon you, then you were the type of person I was referring to in the first post.

QuoteI meant that you did not get my point, not my situation. In general I find that people just DO NOT 'get' that yes, I can talk about things like that without wanting pity.

When you made the comment, "Che, even worse people talking about things they couldn't possibly understand." to what BrightHeart had said, it was pretty misleading. It seemed like you were comparing your ailments with her suffering through feeling like crap from medication.

And believe me, I know how crappy you can feel from medication. It's not something to be taken lightly, I'd say.

QuoteYes 'everyone suffers' and yes I HATE it when people make a comparison but you came to that conclusion on your own.

I do agree that when people wrongly make the comparison of "everyone feels pain" is irritating, but in some cases, it does apply. It's not as if I don't find it irritating when people bitch and whine about little things that are so petty in comparison to real issues people go through, but I also acknowledge that to an extent (which is subjective), people have different scales as to how they perceive and handle pain and stress.

QuoteNow then, medicine that makes you sick sucks.

All of those things suck, but I didn't jump into the wrong conclusion. It was very much relative, whether or not it directly related to you.

As for Sonics... Yeah. Closest one to the Bay Area is in Tracy, which takes several hours to get to by car. :T

FanimaidCafe.com

Kazuko

@Yuu: I live in Tracy and we have a sonics x:

Jun it makes it so worth more to visit me right ;3

what grinds my gears are the dumb girls who keep asking where victoria's secret went, and when I say its across from charollette ruse they go "oh...so thats what that big area for"

LEARN TO READ!

D: im glad we have our grand opening tomorrow

Kaura117

Bah. To hell with robot bodies. Give me full access control to my sensory inputs and a network of similarly uploaded sentiences. Doesn't even need to be human sentience. Then set us loose on a digital Eden- whole fields of data storage and processing banks, ultrawide bandwidth, and the energy to power it all. Hell,the only reason to dick around with Universe 1.0's to convert more and more of it into computronium so as to create even more worlds, give birth to even more mind children... and, in the long run, calculate an escape vector from this universe's inevitable heat death.

The real world sucks. Nothing we do here matters, and it's taken us thousands of years to just get to the point where we can even dream about doing anything about it. And who knows if there's anybody out there to help? That's my biggest gear-grinder of all- and should be the biggest gear-grinder of any sentient mind that seeks a reason to continue to strive- that we've been condemned to die for the crime of living.

Well, to hell with that. Increase funding into experimental physics! Crack open the secret of gravity! Smash apart all of the terrestrial planets and reassemble them into computronium homes for a thousand trillion fast-thinkers- and tear the secrets of the universe out from its bleeding clutches! If the laws of reality are dead set on killing us... then it's high time we changed the law.

Yuu

Quote from: Kazuko on June 11, 2008, 10:29:34 PM

what grinds my gears are the dumb girls who keep asking where victoria's secret went, and when I say its across from charollette ruse they go "oh...so thats what that big area for"

LEARN TO READ!

I forgot to mention; I live in Seattle.

rude32

LEARN TO READ!

Where did half of the stores insid the Tracy mall go?
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

rubymoonIII

when you have tons of shoes but you cant find a specific pair
@Digitalberii <--Twitter

Kazuko

Quote from: rude32 on June 12, 2008, 12:53:18 PM

LEARN TO READ!

Where did half of the stores insid the Tracy mall go?
Either the outlets or out of business, man overthere used to be furniture!

:] I love my new store PINK!

Mister_E

Where I can't find good places to display my stuff that I got from Fanime. I am still trying to find a good spot to put my mini Char.

Yuu

People who say there cosplaying as " Spoiler Isshin" ( Bleach) It's a THEORY. Has been proven in any way, shape, or form.

JohnnyAR

Anger and hate really really grinds my gears, I go berserk when I can't stand hearing people argue amongst themselves or see one going on the internet.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 16, 2008, 11:53:09 AM
Anger and hate really really grinds my gears, I go berserk when I can't stand hearing people argue amongst themselves or see one going on the internet.

Well I am retarded, but still a cool guy.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand