the Ultimate Otaku Gamer

Started by the otaku god, April 23, 2008, 07:50:33 PM

the otaku god

hey everyone,
my name is jerry (manager of video programming)
and i just want to see what you think of our new main event contest. the Ultimate Otaku Gamer
is a 3 day contest test your skill on all games from all systems. its going to be very hard and intense so get your gaming on train for this new tournament. if you got question ask away and hope to see you in the final 4!
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

heeroyuy135

How far are you going back? NES? Atari? Breaking out an old-school Pong machine?

Mizuki

the otaku god

i belive as far as nintendo but they might go back to atari.
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

Mizuki

Will DOS games be a part of this?

JTchinoy

i was in diapers when atari came out, so i can't do it. lol

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

onimusha

MWAHAHAHAHA!  I'm gonna check this out since I was the ToA 2007's Gaming "Grand Champion"!

....trying to gain back my confidence so don't take it too serious on me.

Knightfire

I'm up for it. Probably lose, though. But hey, it sounds fun  :P
Starting work for Fanime 2011

otakuapprentice

sounds like fun; as soon as more details are released and what games/consoles will be played, i might participate.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

PyronIkari

I'd like to, but I dunno if I'll have the time. To be honest though, I'm more interested in how it will be judged and how it will take place.

lacus

What if...I play RPG the best?xD|||

PyronIkari

Quote from: lacus on April 25, 2008, 05:37:37 PM
What if...I play RPG the best?xD|||

I'll put money down that I'm better.

asuka245

Fanime 2008 Ultimate Otaku Gamer Tournment Rundown         

Preliminaries (Friday and Saturday)         

ROUND 1      Naruto 3 (Import Gamecube)   1-on-1 matches; winner is decided best 2 out of 3 rounds
      Raiden (TurboGrafx-16)   Winner decided based on highest score after level 1
      Super Swing Golf (Wii)   Winner of 2 player VS. match on one hole

ROUND 2      Mario Galaxy (Wii)   Winner decided on most time left on clock after a speed run level - those who fail to complete are DQ'ed
      Pacman (Xbox360)   Winner decided on who completes the first 3 levels the fastest - those who fail to complete are DQ'ed
      Contra 3 (snes)   Winner decided on highest score by end of level 1 - campers and those who fail to complete are DQ'ed

ROUND 3      Super Mario 3 (NES)   Winner decided on highest score in 5 minutes
      Columns (Genesis)   Single 1-on-1 matches in which a winner is decided
      Halo 3 (XBOX360)   Two top scorers are chosen from a timed 4 player FFA match

ROUND 4      Castle Shikigami II (Dreamcast IMPORT)   Winner decided on highest score by end of first stage main boss
      Marvel VS Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)   1-on-1 matches; winner is decided best 2 out of 3 rounds
      Dance Dance Revolution  4thMix (Psx Import)   Contestants decide level of difficulty - winner is decided on highest score

Finals (Sunday)         

Guitar Hero Legends (XBOX360)   5 songs selected on HARD difficulty - winner decided on highest score
      Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)   Winner decided on best 2-out-of-3 four-player rounds + final elimination tiebreaker
      Goldeneye (Nintendo 64)   Winner is chosen from a 10-minute match
      Mortal Kombat II (Genesis)   Winner is decided best 2 out of 3 rounds
      Super Puzzle Fighter II (Saturn)   Winner is decided best 2 out of 3 rounds

FINAL GAME   
      sin and punishment(N64)   most points in the 1st level
Been attending fanime since 99!
Been a fanime Staff since 2000-2007
Video programming--2000-2005
E-gaming--2006-2007
Fanime Con E-Gaming Head for 08,09

OniCourseMusha

I've wondered wats the prize for this?
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Shinsengumi

You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

PyronIkari

Without getting too much into it...

This is HORRIBLE.

Games like Contra, where you're taking the score from the first stage?

If you go through the first stage WITHOUT causing respawns(kill every enemy) there's a limit cap. The only only only only only differenciation is going to be the time bonus and grenade bonus at the end of your life... Just to let you know, this PROMOTES playing badly. What I mean is, the fastest way to kill the first boss will be to get laser, switch to your other weapon, DIE, then switch to laser and kill the boss while you're still invincible. I can name such instances for other games as well. Pacman for speed? Huh?

Also, the game selection doesn't vary very much. That's what... 4 major Nintendo franchise games, some of the most popular games ever released are on this list. The fact that, I didn't say "what the hell game is this" to a single one of the games. But hey, your tournament, I'm just saying...

Barnes

I knew it, no F-Zero on that list.
And Mikey pretty much sums it up.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

PyronIkari

If, I were to do something along the lines of this I'd use a game list consisting of things like...

Magic Drop III/IV(Neo Geo)
Weapon Lord(Snes)
Ninja Spirit(Now this is a game to time/score attack for the first stage1-Turbo 16)
Dynamite Heady(Genseis)
Kirby's Dream Course(Snes)
Caveman Games(Nes)
Guardian Legend(Nes)
Bangai-o(Saturn)
Blast Corps(N64)
Forgotten Worlds(Genesis)
Tecmo's Deception(PSX) Okay... this one, is probably the coolest idea that will never happen. For those that don't Know. Deception is a game where you create and place traps in a house. You're basically trying to kill your pursuers, as you are a little girl with powers(to place traps). There's a score system based on chaining traps, and how well/how much damage they do.
Haunting: Starring Polterguy(Genesis)
Densha De Go!!!(PSX)
Segata Sanshiro Fandisc games(Saturn)

Basically... games that you HAVE to be a gamer to have played. To be honest, playing a bunch of mainstream top 10 sellers doesn't make you a gamer. If you wanna nerd it up, you can throw in things like... Yuu Yuu Hakusho for the Genesis(which is great by the way), Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension for SNES, Ghost in the Shell for PSX(Time attack first stage) stuff like that. Throw in doujin games... Queen of Hearts '99, the To Heart party game disc, Party's Breakers.

zoupzuop2

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 29, 2008, 10:56:04 PM
Blast Corps(N64)
WHY GOD WHY did you have to remind me of that??? That game is sitting in my closet getting dusty as we speak, and for DARNED good reason. XP

...and why does that Deception game sound so freaking awesome?
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

OniCourseMusha

I do agree wit Mike in terms of "bunch of mainstream 10 sellers doesn't make you a gamer".  I know few guys who are fuckin morons who doesn't know the true meaning of gaming in terms of playing it, collecting it, and being skillful at it.  Since this is "Ultimate Gaming Otaku" damn I want to know what's the prize and is it worth entering just for all these random games!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand