FOOD

Started by astroboy, April 25, 2008, 12:03:07 AM

astroboy

One of the really neat things about FanimeCon is the huge selection of places to go eat.
Got any questions or restaurant recommendations put it here!

Astroboy's list
If you don't plan on having access to a car don't worry these are within walking distance.

I once showed up to the masquerade late b/c eating here.
Pizza my heart
Vietnamese food. Don't let the name fool you they actually sell a lot more than just "Vietnamese style" sandwiches.
Dakao Sandwich
Do you have a sweet tooth? this place has sugared beverages galore. Also have bento boxes.
Hydration

Moonblossom

I've been wondering if there's any good place to find katsudon within walking distance of the con? I've been dying for katsudon for ages now, and can't find anywhere that serves it where I live.

Tony

I'm freaking out that a Beard Papas is opening on 4th and San Carlos!
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Moonblossom

Aaaa, the creampuff place? A friend of mine is coming to Fanime from British Columbia, and she is a total creampuff freak. I hope it's open in time for her!

Kyokun

Quote from: Tony on April 25, 2008, 08:21:19 AM
What?  When??  I'm looking at the Beard Papa's website and I don't see anything about that particular one...

EDIT:  never mind, found it.  Ooo, how exciting!

Quote from: Moonblossom on April 25, 2008, 08:35:03 AM
Aaaa, the creampuff place? A friend of mine is coming to Fanime from British Columbia, and she is a total creampuff freak. I hope it's open in time for her!
It says it opened April 4th!!

Steve.Young

La Vics (Mhm Orange Sauce...next to Jack in the Box)

Iquana's (Two stores to the right of hydration, I had a burritozilla once...oh my god)

Grand Pizzeria (Next to Jack in the box as well, very good)

Original Joe (OJ's is the shit, but a little pricier 10-15 bucks a person)

Cluck-U (University Chicken, OH EM GEE)

I go to SJSU (San Jose State University) and these are the most popular places to eat (Other than the others listed like Hydration and Pizza My heart).
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Pika1979

little birdie told me that the Starbucks is going to be open 24hrs at the con. ya know the one down stairs near the hilton. there are also going to be other food areas open 24hrs as well at the con

GokuMew2

Quote from: Moonblossom on April 25, 2008, 08:15:13 AM
I've been wondering if there's any good place to find katsudon within walking distance of the con? I've been dying for katsudon for ages now, and can't find anywhere that serves it where I live.
There's Tengu Sushi nearby. Never been inside though so I don't know if they have katsudon on the menu but maybe! The place is in the Colonnade between the light rail station and SJSU.

It's already open. I pass by it every time I go to and from school. ;D Some of my classmates sometimes come to class with a box from the place, hehe. They say it's good. Haven't tried them out myself since I don't eat out though.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Moonblossom

Quote from: GokuMew2 on April 25, 2008, 02:08:20 PM
There's Tengu Sushi nearby. Never been inside though so I don't know if they have katsudon on the menu but maybe! The place is in the Colonnade between the light rail station and SJSU.

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to check it out.

Rei-Rei

WHAT!?!? Are you serious??? *drools*
I love Beard Papas, I'm actually going to SF this weekend and I'm already planning to visit there.

milan

19 Market Restaurant  ;D
Heh, it's my mom's (Viet) restaurant. It's on N. Market St, next to Thep Thai & Sonoma Chicken. It's been voted best Viet cuisuine twice I think...It's really yummy, honestly :P

Moonblossom

I heard someone mentioning the Hilton breakfast buffet, but can't find prices mentioned on their site. It's not included in the room price, is it? If not, anyone know offhand how much it costs?

Tony

Last time I went to the grill, I think it was about $16 for the breakfast buffet. It had the typical eggs, meats, cereals, pastries, and fruit - not bad!
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Moonblossom

Sweet, thanks. For a big fat breakfast, that's not bad at all!

WaffoCellist

If you are willing to hop onto LightRail, ride it up north to J-Town.  There are a bunch of good restaurants to hit as well as the Nijiya Market with its wide variety of bento boxes and different sweet breads (i.e. melon bread, an-pan, etc.).

If you are driving to the con, take a quick detour up to Saratoga Ave in North San Jose(about 7 minutes with no traffic) and head over to Clover bakery in the Japanese market center (market center is called Strawberry.... something....).

Clover bakery has great sweet and savory Japanese style breads (ex. yakisoba-pan, okonomiyaki-pan, curry-pan, melon-pan, etc.) at unbeatable prices ($1.25-$1.75).  Two to three of these breads will fill you up and if you buy more, they can energize you throughout the day. 

If anyone wants directions to Clover, I'll be more than happy to post them later.
It's a convict...it's a felon...NO! It's a Fanime Logistics Staffer coming your way!!!!

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 25, 2008, 12:01:25 PM
Cluck-U (University Chicken, OH EM GEE)
i went there to do the 911 a while back...man, that was torture.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

flishy

Quote from: GokuMew2 on April 25, 2008, 02:08:20 PM

i dont know much about katsudon, but i think tengu sushi is pretty ripoffy for the portions, but i havnt been there since christmas so i dont remember clearly

theres a togo's, and quicklys also :d

Knightfire

I'll have to second the motion for La Vic and Iguanas. Damn fine mexican eats. Pizza my heart has some pretty good 'Za, too.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Moonblossom

Quote from: flishy on April 25, 2008, 10:17:28 PM
i dont know much about katsudon, but i think tengu sushi is pretty ripoffy for the portions, but i havnt been there since christmas so i dont remember clearly

theres a togo's, and quicklys also :d

Where are the other places? They really need to be within easy walking of the hotel, since I don't know the area at all.

Barnes

I like Peggy Sue's (Park avenue), Johnny Rocket's (First St.) and Amicci's East Coast Pizza (Santa Clara St.).
I wonder if Pizza Chicago (San Fernando St.) is any good?
And I wanna write a list of stuff that you can cook with your hotel room's coffee maker.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes