ID question (definitely not your standard one)

Started by kuroi, May 05, 2008, 02:04:37 PM

kuroi

Umm, so my wallet was stolen a few weeks back, and it had my ID in it. I'm currently in New York, so couldn't get a full new license printed, but they were able to send me a temporary replacement license.

The only problem is, it's basically a piece of paper with my name, driver class, and home address on it. There's no picture or anything. And I won't have enough time to go down to the DMV and get a new license by the time classes finish and I'm able to get home. It's technically still a government-issued ID, and has my full name and all the information a normal driver's license would, just...not my picture. And it's basically a business card, except less fancy.

Is this still acceptable? Would it be better if I brought along my student ID so that I could prove the connection of face to name in addition to this scrap of paper? (as in, I've got the temp license, but then bring my college ID along for picture ID)
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

SOawesomeness

Wow, that sucks. >.>
If you're coming from New York, you'd probably be bringing your passport, right? (Or is that just international...) You can use your passport... if you don't have a passport (for an odd reason), I would just say it'd be all right to bring your replacement license and some sort of picture i.d. with your name on it. :0

But I'd e-mail registration at fanime.com to confirm this. >.>;;
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Chewie

Passports aren't required to pass from state to state.

Definitely email registration.

kuroi

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on May 05, 2008, 02:41:59 PM
Wow, that sucks. >.>
If you're coming from New York, you'd probably be bringing your passport, right? (Or is that just international...) You can use your passport... if you don't have a passport (for an odd reason), I would just say it'd be all right to bring your replacement license and some sort of picture i.d. with your name on it. :0

I have a passport (it's at home; don't need it for state to state ^^), but I'd reeeeeeally rather not bring it, since I have a horrible habit of leaving things (like my con bag) in places, and I'd need my passport for the next week when I go to Japan (and thus wouldn't have a chance to get a new one if I lost it, and would really rather not have the chance to lose it in the first place orz)

Thanks; I'll do that.
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

Rette

Quote from: Chewie on May 05, 2008, 04:34:05 PM
Passports aren't required to pass from state to state.

Definitely email registration.

Passports aren't required to pass from state to state, but photo I.Ds are. If you don't have government ID (like a driver's license) you'll need your passport anyway.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Chewie

I've never been carded passing state to state nor has my father whose driven the lower 48 more times than he can remember. I'd have to think this is case to case.

As for bringing your passport and being afraid to lose it, maybe fanime staff or a staff member could hold onto it in one of their offices for the weekend?

I know, not the BEST idea but it's something.

Rette

Quote from: Chewie on May 05, 2008, 07:29:27 PM
I've never been carded passing state to state nor has my father whose driven the lower 48 more times than he can remember. I'd have to think this is case to case.

I meant when you fly state to state. Ya need a photo I.D. to get through airport security. =)

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

SOawesomeness

:0 OMG you're right, I totally forgot about my trip...
Yeah, unless you're under the age of 18, you'll need some type of I.D. I'm not sure if a school I.D. would cut it, but they do tell you to have your I.D. ready before entering the security part of the airport.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

Rette

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on May 05, 2008, 08:02:19 PM
:0 OMG you're right, I totally forgot about my trip...
Yeah, unless you're under the age of 18, you'll need some type of I.D. I'm not sure if a school I.D. would cut it, but they do tell you to have your I.D. ready before entering the security part of the airport.

Don't think your school I.D. would count, unfortunately. >.<
They're pretty uptight about having government issued I.D.
You'll probably need your passport, but if you're worried about losing it you could invest in a money belt or something so that it is firmly attached to your person at all times. ^_^

phoenixphire24

Quote from: kuroi on May 05, 2008, 06:52:41 PM
Wow, that sucks. >.>

I have a passport (it's at home; don't need it for state to state ^^), but I'd reeeeeeally rather not bring it, since I have a horrible habit of leaving things (like my con bag) in places, and I'd need my passport for the next week when I go to Japan (and thus wouldn't have a chance to get a new one if I lost it, and would really rather not have the chance to lose it in the first place orz)

Thanks; I'll do that.

Most of the hotels have a safe in the closet. I suggest locking your passport in the safe when you get to Fanime and leave it there until Fanime is over.

Rei-Rei

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on May 06, 2008, 07:27:59 AM
Quote from: kuroi on May 05, 2008, 06:52:41 PM
Wow, that sucks. >.>

Thanks; I'll do that.

Most of the hotels have a safe in the closet. I suggest locking your passport in the safe when you get to Fanime and leave it there until Fanime is over.
And put a sticky note on your door so you don't just leave.

Chewie

Lol, totally forgot about hotel safes.

There ya go.

Sen

Quote from: Chewie on May 06, 2008, 06:41:24 PM

There ya go.

You know, I wish the hotel safes were big enough to fit laptops in. I think I've only been to one hotel where the safe was big enough. (Can't remember where)
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

SOawesomeness

Ellie S.
Head of Registration

Chewie

Quote from: Sen on May 07, 2008, 10:50:31 AM
Quote from: Chewie on May 06, 2008, 06:41:24 PM

There ya go.

You know, I wish the hotel safes were big enough to fit laptops in. I think I've only been to one hotel where the safe was big enough. (Can't remember where)

Agreed. I had one down in Anaheim one time that fit my car keys and that's about it.

It seems like a good idea overall for those people worried about losing their IDs/other valuables during the con. Wish this has occurred to someone when we were having our debates about IDs for registration. Would have saved a lot of time arguing the "passports aren't something you wanna carry with you at all times if you don't have to" thing.

kuroi

Quote from: Rei-Rei on May 06, 2008, 07:46:42 AM
Quote from: phoenixphire24 on May 06, 2008, 07:27:59 AM

And put a sticky note on your door so you don't just leave.

Ahaha, You have /no/ idea how much I'd need that sticky note, and how like me it would be to walk out, check out, be halfway home and go "F**K, MY PASSPORT IS IN THE ROOM SAFE"

As for getting through airports with a student ID, I actually tried it once, going back to school from Katsucon; my school ID was the only one within easy reach (my driver's license was in the bottom of my carry-on, in the back pockets of pants I'd packed), so I tried to get through with that. I got "No ID" marked on my boarding pass, and had to have all of my bags (duffel bag, laptop case and backpack) checked. Thank god I had four hours before my flight.

I did email staff, but the response I got was "the staff will know how to deal with people without photo IDs". *shrugs* What's going to be just as fun is trying to deal with this for dealer's room and video rooms...
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided

SOawesomeness

I think the sticky note would suck for me... I'd rather set an alarm on my phone at about the time I'm going to check out reminding me it's in the safe. :0 But that's just me.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

Chewie

I think short of the total inconvenience it would be if you did forget the valuables, knowing it's safe and would still be safe even after you left due to staff reporting it and such, there are other ways to remind yourself.

The cell alarm. If you drive put your keys in there. Some other unforgettable item/s would work as well. "AH sh*t where's my lucky Chewbacca keychain?!, oh yeah, room safe"

That, and if you're with friends, I doubt ALL of you would forget at once. Share the safe with someone else if you can. Lots of ideas for it so you don't forget it.

^^

Fructose

Quote from: kuroi on May 12, 2008, 10:50:47 PM
I did email staff, but the response I got was "the staff will know how to deal with people without photo IDs". *shrugs* What's going to be just as fun is trying to deal with this for dealer's room and video rooms...

...You don't need ID for the dealers room and video rooms. Just your badge. The only things in the whole con you'd need an ID for other than registration would be the "over 18" events like the hentai room and yaoi bingo and such.

FinalShadows

Who should I call next? The Shrimp?