Any other old people here? Want to start a SF anime-and-drinks club?

Started by telebikun, May 07, 2008, 06:54:58 PM

telebikun

Hey, all!

I'm a San Francisco resident who's into many things, including but not limited to indie rock, food, drink, travel, literature, world cinema, and--here's the challenge--anime. Apart from the odd casual Miyazaki fan, I don't really have any anime fan friends, and my wife (I'm old, but not creepy, I promise) barely tolerates the stuff.  I had a good time with anime clubs back in the day, when I was part of a university community (both as an undergrad and a grad student), but as an adult in the working world, these kinds of opportunities just don't seem to present themselves. 

So I'd like to find a group of people in the SF area that would be interested in occasional gatherings to drink cocktails (not required, of course, but I think it's a good idea), eat food, and watch anime. You suggest titles you'd like to see, or bring titles from your library if you've got one (I don't, but I rent a lot), I'll host, buy food (at least the first time) and tend bar. If it's fun, we'll do it again.  There's really no age limit, but over drinking age at least would be preferred, and as I said, I'm pretty old.

I enjoy high quality production, surrealist humor, and interesting concepts in about equal measure, but will consider watching anything. Favorites include FLCL, Tokyo Godfathers, and a load of other stuff from the sentimental to the stupid. I've seen at least 350 titles over the past decade or so (some series, some feature films), but despite this fact, do not consider myself any kind of otaku. Am I kidding myself? Maybe. But I certainly don't fit any of the nasty stereotypes sometimes ascribed to anime fans, at least as far as I can tell. You probably wouldn't know I was a fan unless I told you. Which I guess I am now.

Care to join me? Awesome.  I can be reached at this username at hotmail dot com.  I know it's a longshot, but I remain hopeful.

anomaly

If I were a bit closed to sf, I'd probably take you up on that...drinks are fun and anime is awesome...I too lack anime friends, at least near by...but, maybe people might be a bit more interested if there was some way to do this in a public place.

I dunno...theres enough of us on the board to pool some cash together and possibly rent out a very small meeting room at a hotel somewhere in the middle of everyone...and if we can get it for a whole night, we could run our only little mini con...just anime and discussions and food and drinks and fun and meeting people.

We could do it say once a month or once every two months...I'd definitely be wiling to throw in for something like that....I mean we don't need to buy anime as I'm sure we would need only 10 of us to have more anime than rightstuf.com has in its inventory.

Drinks, alcohol is cheap out here I've noticed, so thats easily covered.  food, I cook quite well, or we could get some platters of some type or a crap load of sushi or pizzas or whatever...

for those not old enough to drink...your still very much welcome as long as you promise not to drink...better yet...hand stamps would be a good idea...

I just keep getting more ideas here...but I mean, I think this would be a great thing...especially if its the same place every time...
"Every morning I jump out of bed and step on a landmine. The landmine is me. After the explosion, I spend the rest of the day putting the pieces together." -rb

--------------------------------------------------
Fanime 2008 ConOps

Kimiko

I think that's a great idea ^^ I'm "old" too and my hubby can't stand the stuff either lol. I'm currently in the east bay, but plan on moving to the Peninsula at the end of this year or very early next year.
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

ced1106

Hmm. Are you already familiar with a Meetup.com group that does Japanese cultural stuff?

ININ and I live in South San Jose and Palo Alto. I'm not close enough to SF, unfortunately.

aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

Ushitora

what's your definition of "old" i'm twenty three years old, and live in san fran.

anomaly

Quote from: Ushitora on June 01, 2008, 08:21:54 PM
what's your definition of "old" i'm twenty three years old, and live in san fran.

I'm 24....I'm old >_<
"Every morning I jump out of bed and step on a landmine. The landmine is me. After the explosion, I spend the rest of the day putting the pieces together." -rb

Fanime 2008 ConOps

rude32

Quote from: anomaly on June 01, 2008, 10:10:24 PM
Quote from: Ushitora on June 01, 2008, 08:21:54 PM

I'm 24....I'm old >_<
I'm one year older, so I'm old. I'm a quarter of a century old.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Steve.Young

I'm 21 =P, hi old farts! Just kidding.

I wouldn't mind driving up to SF, but I'd rather do what Anomaly suggested and throw in money for a nice meeting room + TV and have our own mini-gathering/con.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

otakuapprentice

Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

anomaly

ok, so lets get some phone convos going and make something happen...I wanna see everyone and watch some gosh dern animes.....nad my cat agrees....and he's awesome so...that settles is...let start thinking of the best middle ground here....

where is everyone in relation to vacaville?

I'm 1 hours from san jo, 45 min from sf, 40 minutes from sac....Im basically in the middle.

Fanime 2008 ConOps

rude32

Quote from: anomaly on June 02, 2008, 02:01:21 AM
ok, so lets get some phone convos going and make something happen...I wanna see everyone and watch some gosh dern animes.....nad my cat agrees....and he's awesome so...that settles is...let start thinking of the best middle ground here....

where is everyone in relation to vacaville?

I'm 1 hours from san jo, 45 min from sf, 40 minutes from sac....Im basically in the middle.
Your quite a ways from central valley, but I'm willing to make a trip.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

ThatBlueDinosaurGuy

I live in the East Bay, I'll be 23 on the 17th of this month, but I can hop on BART to get out there.
Kono bangumi wa, goran no sponsor teikyou de, o kurishimasu ka

RyuHayabusa

I'm 30, so if this happens, I can make it as well. Do we have to bring our own booze?(stupid question, I know)
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

anomaly

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on June 02, 2008, 11:45:02 AM
I'm 30, so if this happens, I can make it as well. Do we have to bring our own booze?(stupid question, I know)

I would say...not bring "our own" but bring whatever you want that you would like to share.  We can all bring something and make it fun ^_^ try some things we've never tried (though good luck with that in my case)

Fanime 2008 ConOps

Ushitora

I live downtown s.f. geary and van ness to be exact.

I'd be down to bring booze if it was needed.

I was also wondering video games?

I just got pop'n music and stuff but yeah how about video games too?

rubymoonIII

Quote from: Steve.Young on June 01, 2008, 11:06:18 PM
I'm 21 =P, hi old farts! Just kidding.

I wouldn't mind driving up to SF, but I'd rather do what Anomaly suggested and throw in money for a nice meeting room + TV and have our own mini-gathering/con.
juuust turned 21
i be going out wit an old faurt *coughs* onicoursmusha
@Digitalberii <--Twitter

anomaly

Quote from: Ushitora on June 03, 2008, 12:32:16 PM
I live downtown s.f. geary and van ness to be exact.

I'd be down to bring booze if it was needed.

I was also wondering video games?

I just got pop'n music and stuff but yeah how about video games too?

I do happen to have a 60gig PS3 with the emotion engine....FULL BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY RAWKKKK!!!!!!!

In other news, I was actually in SF for the first time this weekend...I went to the sushi boat heh.

Fanime 2008 ConOps

Kazuko

:d man in october I will be able to join you kids (sucks to be 20 right now lol but I still social drink)

anomaly

Quote from: Kazuko on June 03, 2008, 12:56:49 PM
:d man in october I will be able to join you kids (sucks to be 20 right now lol but I still social drink)

XO

DATS ILLEGALLL!!!

I'm telling...

Fanime 2008 ConOps

Kazuko

Quote from: anomaly on June 03, 2008, 01:23:28 PM
Quote from: Kazuko on June 03, 2008, 12:56:49 PM

XO

DATS ILLEGALLL!!!

I'm telling...

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
dont make me cut you