21+ to check - in?

Started by shinigamitsunami, May 11, 2008, 04:30:30 PM

shinigamitsunami

I booked a room at the Crowne Plaza hotel, and when I checked their site today, it said check-in is available for 21+ only.

uh....if i can book the room (at 18), then why can't i check - in?

and what do i do then? i do have a 21 year old friend rooming with me, would that work if she just checked in together with me? or what? HELPPPP~

Rei-Rei

You should be able to check in at 18, though you may want to call them and ask them to clarify. >.>;

Kimiko

Yes if your roomie is 21+ then you should be fine. You MAY have to switch it over in her name though. Did they ask your age or birthdate when you booke d the room? I don't remember if they ever ask for those details. But if you are unsure, it's best to call the hotel directly and let them know your situation and see if the names need to be switched of if it will be okay if she is with you when you check in together.
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

heeroyuy135

It really shouldn't matter how old you are as long as they have your credit card information because then they can hold you for any damages done to the room/additional charges by charging you.
That's just my take...
Also, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza and someone my age (under 20) successfully checked into TWO rooms, so maybe they changed their policy within the year.

BrightHeart76

Do check.  I've worked in hotels before where if the person checking in wasn't 21 we couldn't do anything...no room for the underaged.  It sucked for people trying to check in the day before their big 21st Birthday in Reno.

The hotel should be happy to help you, they want your business.  They'll explain how their policy works.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

heeroyuy135

I just gave the Marriott a call over their policy, and they said that you have to be over 21 but you can get a Fanime representative to vouch for you when you check in.

Wonder how that'll work...

gynophobia

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on May 13, 2008, 12:25:03 AM
I just gave the Marriott a call over their policy, and they said that you have to be over 21 but you can get a Fanime representative to vouch for you when you check in.

Wait, you serious?

Chewie

I wonder when hotels started doing that outside of Vegas and Reno.

I never had an issue checking in anywhere before I was 21 and the friends I have now who aren't don't either.

That's strange., wonder if it's because of Fanime itself and the crowd the hotels expect it to bring. =\

KyraEnsui

Wow. That is strange. I was able to check-in hotels before I was 21. Huh....

Rette

I think they might overlook this point during Fanime, cause I checked in last year when I was 18. But then again, it was my mother who made the reservation...

Maybe if they post a representative at each of the major hotels? Though I assume if they tried something like this then you'd need your badge before you tried to check in or something...

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

heeroyuy135

When I made that call, I was too myself shocked. After all, like I mention aboved, my friend who was less than 20 last year was able to to check into 2 rooms @ the Crowne Plaza.

I'm going to call the Marriot the same time next week to get a confirmation on that, unless someone else does.

Moonblossom

Unless this is a policy because of the general behaviour at Fanime last year. Elevator ninjas (people who were trying to hang in the corners and be "stealthy" or some nonsense), elevator parties, horsing around in the pool, people sleeping in hallways and the lobby..

This is all stuff I saw at the Hilton, btw. Dunno about the other places.

gynophobia

I called the Marriott myself just a few minutes ago and told me that I could check in at any age as long as the reservation is under my name and I have a valid government ID. I even told the person I was 18.

heeroyuy135

Wow, different stories...I'll go with gynophobia with this

gynophobia

Yeah, I called the hotel itself and told them I was coming in for Fanime.

obliviousedward

I'm going with gynophobia on this one, too.  Last year I had no trouble checking into our hotel room (I was 18 then).  It's the same case as this year; the rooms are in my name, and I have a valid ID, as always carry my driver's license with me.  I'm not really expecting a problem.

Still...

...Well, I'll see when I get there. XD
Fanime '16 Cosplay:
To be announced...!

LadyKaren

For Clarification, (since I've book like 25+ hotel rooms and I'm still not 21)

You can check in to a hotel if you're 18 or above.
The 21+ thing only deals with rooms that has the cabinets with alcohol. (Like in the fridge with the water and snacks they jack up the price for you to buy.)

They check your ID to see if you are 21, but if your not over 21 and you are over 18, then you'll just be given a room without a bar.

heeroyuy135

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info :)

obliviousedward

It makes so much more sense now! XD

Thanks for the clarification. <3
Fanime '16 Cosplay:
To be announced...!

shinigamitsunami

ahhh thank you so much everyone!!! :D