Some Assistance needed

Started by EclipseDarkmaster, May 12, 2008, 01:51:31 AM

EclipseDarkmaster

This is My First Time Ever At Fanime, My First Time Ever in California too.  This being the Truth, I've run into some issues.  A friend of mine Thought that San Jose was closer to LA then It really is, and I'm Flying into LAX on the 20th.  If Necessity dictates, I'll take the Train to San Jose, but that means that I'll likely get to the Con later then what I wanted to, And Likely...I'll not have a Hotel room to stay in.

So reality brings forth issues that I need help with.  A more prideful man would have his own issues with bringing these up, but I've proven myself shameless on multiple occasions, so I think I'll list my Problems here and See what the People of Fanime Have to say.  Any help you can offer is appreciated, and I hate to be a bother.  Gas money Can and Will be offered to anyone who can help.

I am Flying into LAX, as previously stated, on the 20th.

Fanime Starts on the 23rd.

If there's anyone who is going that way, from further south, or from The City of Angels itself, A ride would be Greatly appreciated, as I'm ordering my Tickets into the con Tomorrow over the internet.

Someone who has a room and wants help paying for it, As with the Car and Gas issue, If there's an inch of floor for me to Fit on, I'm more then used to Rough conditions, and I'd be happy to throw some money your way in order to cover the "Rental" of said Floorspace.

I'm desperate.  This is, as stated, my first time at Fanime, and From what I've been told and seen, it looks 200x as amazing as Nekocon was. 

I'm a Southern Gentleman, Born in Virginia, Flying from North Carolina.  I promise my best behavior, If only someone can help me with my Dilemma

for those who get bored by Long pleas for help:

tl;dr: North Carolina Boy needs a Ride from LA at minimum, A spot of floor at most.  Money can and will be offered.

Thanks for reading!

What do I do?
I make Wallpapers and Forum Sigs.  Avatars? Maybe, depends on what you want.  PM for more info.

phoenixphire24

You may want to try contacting some of the people in this thread that are coming from SoCal
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,9556.0.html

Also, there's a thread hotel forum about finding roommates. There are still a few people that have spaces open. You should try contacting some people there.
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,8275.0.html

PyronIkari

I just wanted to point out some things.

Quote from: EclipseDarkmaster on May 12, 2008, 01:51:31 AM
A friend of mine Thought that San Jose was closer to LA then It really is, and I'm Flying into LAX on the 20th.  If Necessity dictates, I'll take the Train to San Jose, but that means that I'll likely get to the Con later then what I wanted to, And Likely...I'll not have a Hotel room to stay in.

... Your friend is an idiot. Seriously. Why the hell would you choose to fly into LAX... to... get to San Jose... instead of... flying... to... San... Jose... itself?

The second part is curious though. Why will you not likely have a hotel to stay in if you show up at the con later? You realize the hotel has been basically sold out for months now right? The chances of you getting a room is pretty low(at the two main hotels atleast) regardless of when you show up, since you don't already have a reservation.

Maybe you'll get lucky, but I don't know, you're better off flying from LAX. You can get a plane ticket for about... 60-80 if you order it now through Jet Blue or Southwest. Jet Blue only goes to Oakland and you'd have to find a way from there. Southwest goes to SJ but is usually a little more expensive.

Considering, if you're pitching in for gas, you're paying probably 40$ anyways... it's more likely better to fly.

FinalShadows

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 12, 2008, 12:41:03 PM

A friend of mine Thought that San Jose was closer to LA then It really is, and I'm Flying into LAX on the 20th.  If Necessity dictates, I'll take the Train to San Jose, but that means that I'll likely get to the Con later then what I wanted to, And Likely...I'll not have a Hotel room to stay in.

... Your friend is an idiot. Seriously. Why the hell would you choose to fly into LAX... to... get to San Jose... instead of... flying... to... San... Jose... itself?

The second part is curious though. Why will you not likely have a hotel to stay in if you show up at the con later? You realize the hotel has been basically sold out for months now right? The chances of you getting a room is pretty low(at the two main hotels atleast) regardless of when you show up, since you don't already have a reservation.

Maybe you'll get lucky, but I don't know, you're better off flying from LAX. You can get a plane ticket for about... 60-80 if you order it now through Jet Blue or Southwest. Jet Blue only goes to Oakland and you'd have to find a way from there. Southwest goes to SJ but is usually a little more expensive.

Considering, if you're pitching in for gas, you're paying probably 40$ anyways... it's more likely better to fly.
Good job for shooting his chances of coming to Fanime lol.
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

IamTetsuo

Personally I would cancel my plane ticket and get a new one straight to San Jose.

FinalShadows

Quote from: IamTetsuo on May 12, 2008, 12:54:23 PM
Personally I would cancel my plane ticket and get a new one straight to San Jose.
I agree. It would save you time and money, regardless if you get a plane ticket to San Jose now.
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Moonblossom

If the ticket was purchased online, it may be that he can't cancel it.

However, United has a bunch of flights currently available from LAX to SJC for less than $100, so that might be an option.

EclipseDarkmaster

Quote from: Moonblossom on May 12, 2008, 01:02:50 PM

However, United has a bunch of flights currently available from LAX to SJC for less than $100, so that might be an option.

You, My good Sir/Madam, Are the Winner. Cheaptickets For the win.

There was also the matter of Flying in BEFORE the con, meaning that I'm coming like...3 days previous, And the only people I know are in LA.

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on May 12, 2008, 09:15:07 AM

Thank you for your help, I'll go there now >,>

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 12, 2008, 12:41:03 PM

Because I wouldn't have money to offer someone and Although I've DONE staying up for several days with a minimum of sleep.  I don't want to Try it here

You may want to try contacting some of the people in this thread that are coming from SoCal
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,9556.0.html

Also, there's a thread hotel forum about finding roommates. There are still a few people that have spaces open. You should try contacting some people there.
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,8275.0.html

What do I do?
I make Wallpapers and Forum Sigs.  Avatars? Maybe, depends on what you want.  PM for more info.

LadyKaren

Quote from: EclipseDarkmaster on May 12, 2008, 01:13:15 PM

There was also the matter of Flying in BEFORE the con, meaning that I'm coming like...3 days previous, And the only people I know are in LA.

Stay with your friends in LA until Con. Then fly up from LAX to SJC.

EclipseDarkmaster

Quote from: LadyKaren on May 12, 2008, 02:13:33 PM

I'm far too poor for that

What do I do?

PyronIkari

Quote from: EclipseDarkmaster on May 12, 2008, 02:29:06 PM
Quote from: LadyKaren on May 12, 2008, 02:13:33 PM

I'm far too poor for that

... Then maybe you shouldn't be going to the con, and chalk it up to your friend being a retard for thinking LA is anywhere near San Jose.

I don't see how anyone over the age of 14 could not know that SJ is a good 400 miles from LA.

EclipseDarkmaster

Listen, I have Non-refundable Airplane tickets and Someone I HAVE to meet.  I'm not NOT going to this con.  And as to the over 14 thing, Could the FACT THAT I'M FROM THE EAST COAST, have NEVER been to CA and Trusted someone who's a Friend be the Cause of me not knowing? Maybe?

I don't know about you, but in NC highschools, they don't teach the exact Milage from one city that's over 2000 miles away from here to another :|

What do I do?

cappeh

pyron, that 14-year old crap is ridiculous, especially for someone who's never been to california in their life. chill out.

and sorry tc, i dunno what to say except double check where you're flying to next time. :(
hi i lav u

Rei-Rei

Or what you could do regarding your trip from LA to San Jose would be buying Amtrak tickets via there site:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

Round trip tickets would be around 50-60 dollars from LA to San Jose and back.
It's not that expensive, but the downside to that is Amtrak is very slow and would take you approximately 9 hours... If you're up for it.
You're probably going to be riding the train at times and the bus at others... Depends on what you pick.

The address for the station in San Jose is:
65 Cahill Street
San Jose, CA 95110

It's approximately a .7 mile walk to the con....

EclipseDarkmaster

Quote from: cappeh on May 12, 2008, 04:50:29 PM
pyron, that 14-year old crap is ridiculous, especially for someone who's never been to california in their life. chill out.

and sorry tc, i dunno what to say except double check where you're flying to next time. :(

Well, I've been told that I should probably say there too.  In Cali I mean.  The Economy around where I live sucks so hard that it's a black hole

What do I do?

konmoni

Or you can check out www.megabus.com  Buses leave twice a day, starting from LA Union Station, dropping you off at the location Rei-Rei stated earlier.  It may be cheaper depending on how early you book, and a much less shorter trip. Last time I was on the bus the driver only took 5 hours *_* 

ToshiX

well by all means dont be too tough on the kid.
and I probably be more concern on getting a place to stay first
as if you did manage to get there and have no place to stay kid what will you do?
cause most of the hotels near the con that offers fair price with the con are like sold out
and the price for a room is like expensive
so look for roomates as well
"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

SOawesomeness

(: There are still people looking for roomies on the general roomies thread, by the way... but you've seen it already, I presume.

:0 Good luck getting here.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Mr Anime

I might be able to help you to get to the con. I'm leaving on the 22nd around 10 a.m. I don't know where in L.A. you're staying at, but if you can have someone give you a ride, or take the bus and be able to make it to the Valley around that time, I'll be more than willing to take you along.

As for your room situation, I really can't help you with that. I'm sure there are people still looking for roomates, so you may want to start looking for a place to stay right away.

BTW, why are you flying in three days before the con even starts? A day before I can understand, but three... ???
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

EclipseDarkmaster

Quote from: Mr Anime on May 12, 2008, 05:33:32 PM
I might be able to help you to get to the con. I'm leaving on the 22nd around 10 a.m. I don't know where in L.A. you're staying at, but if you can have someone give you a ride, or take the bus and be able to make it to the Valley around that time, I'll be more than willing to take you along.

As for your room situation, I really can't help you with that. I'm sure there are people still looking for roomates, so you may want to start looking for a place to stay right away.

BTW, why are you flying in three days before the con even starts? A day before I can understand, but three... ???

I'm gonna be in Santa Monica, and I should be able to get to LA by then :D

And as to why I'm Flying in early.

I've been told by my mom to consider staying, instead of going back home.  The economy around here sucks, and work hasn't called me in in forever.  So I'm scouting out possible jobs and the like.   

What do I do?