Damn You Internets! Vip or DIE

Started by PyronIkari, May 12, 2008, 01:25:21 PM

Jun-Watarase

It did suck this year. A lot.

But man... a lot of those who were there are just cool and understanding. Thanks to all to those who were, and all the ones that enjoyed it despite all the things that had gone wrong. It's too bad that the panel had been canceled-- I was surprised that there was even a protest outside the room, and from what I know, people even tried to find a new room for it. Wow. As cheesy as it sounds, this Fanime has been really touching. But despite a lot of people getting disappointed, there were always those groups of really cool people who had our back regardless. Really, thanks.

EDIT: Dude, I just saw a video of those who took the effort to protest. That's possibly one of the sweetest videos I've ever seen-- I almost cried of a horrible toothache. You guys are awesome. Mikey's not a very super cheesy-emotional person, but man, I think it takes quite a bit to get him to feel the way he does right now. Seriously brightened up our day. Hope you're reading this, because you guys definitely deserve to know just how happy you've made us.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Kender

Quote from: felicity869 on May 26, 2008, 03:13:33 PM
Seriously, wtf guys?! I get it, you're not funny without the internet. But you should know better than to trust fanime staff yo have internet set up. "For the fans by the fans" = never having your act together = you should have been smart enough to have had at least a little bit of fun stuff already saved on your computer just in case.

Also, what happened to day two? Did you get banned, no internet again, got lazy?

No panelist was promised internet nor told it would be definitely available.  All panelists were informed they might be able to pick up an open wireless signal, but there was no guarantee and to be prepared in case there was no internet.

EDIT:

Note that the panel was canceled by the panelist and not Fanime.  It was already mentioned earlier in different, but not so direct words.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.  We grow old because we stop playing."

JavaMoon

Quick question about the first day of Damn You Internets...

I can't get that damn-near-give-me-seizures VaVaVa mix out of my head that was playing during the beginning of the panel. What was that and where can I find it? I really enjoyed trying to keep up with all of the text that whizzed by in the video.  ;D

PyronIkari

IIDX Misao video?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1796341

You need a niconicodouga account to access it.

THere's a lot of them on youtube, but they won't have the niconicodouga scrolling text. Search for like... Misao IIDX or vavava IIDX

Jun-Watarase

Dude. I just have to record the stuff said on the thread on 4chan, just for cheesy sentimentality. I love you people. ;___;

http://zip.4chan.org/cgl/res/1021661.html

Totally outdoes the few negative comments said about it. Fail or not, we win. o/

Quote from: Perfect GradeThanks for trying anyway, PyronIkari/CrackPr0n. I'm surprised the plug didn't get pulled on the panel the first time because of the material on the projector screen. If only someone had a wireless card which could use a service such as verizon to access the internet.

What a shame. There's always next year, though. Sorry I couldn't help!

Quote from: AnonIt did suck. There's always next year.

Even though tons of shitty things didn't go right, it looked like people still had fun and are chill about it. See you guys next year.

Quote from: AnonThe fact that you're not making any excuses for fucking up does raise your esteem in my eyes. Just try and remember that Murphy Is Not Your Friend next year/time/whatever.

Quote from: ChiakiHey CrackPr0n, don't worry about it. I understand the shit behind the failure. It was cool to see you guys again this year. Sad I didn't see the sexyness of Stu this year though.

As I say to people, the only reason I go to Fanime is for seeing friends and attending DYI. Failure or not, it was pretty fucking good at points.

I'll hope to see you guys next year, and thanks for the tidbits of info about FaniMade on Friday night, was something good to build on for when I went in on Sat.

Oh, and give ffffffffff my regards.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Chaostsukasa

WTB the background of the laptop tho :D

The Sax

Oh hey, hah, I didn't expect my comment to randomly show up on here. But yeah, I seriously had fun, even with epic fail. I hope you guys bring back the panel again next year. If planning specific stuff is hard, don't forget that anon is legion, we can always entertain ourselves just as well given the right fuel of snide remarks on our mothers and racist epithets. Wasn't the panel 2 years ago basically a series of questions being asked by people and you guys laying the smack down on their need to lurk moar? I had plenty fun with that as well.

hmmm, what to say.....

PyronIkari

Quote from: The Sax on May 27, 2008, 12:33:44 AM
Oh hey, hah, I didn't expect my comment to randomly show up on here. But yeah, I seriously had fun, even with epic fail. I hope you guys bring back the panel again next year. If planning specific stuff is hard, don't forget that anon is legion, we can always entertain ourselves just as well given the right fuel of snide remarks on our mothers and racist epithets. Wasn't the panel 2 years ago basically a series of questions being asked by people and you guys laying the smack down on their need to lurk moar? I had plenty fun with that as well.

Yup... I had fun with that as well, and I wanted to intergrate the two. A lot of content, with a lot of just bull shit questions and us just talking down people. The big thing with this is, if people don't ask shit, it becomes boring and people just sit and stare at us.

I honestly like the random bull shit of just us talking and the audience asking shit to have a really interactive panel, but really, it's up to the audience.

What I had planned for night two, was talk about Anon vs. Scientology, then setting up a thread/chat room for the audience to pull out laptops and submit whatever they wanted along side what we were doing. People could submit topics, or things they wanted to show, so that we could commentate afterwards. That way those not at fanime could also join along, while a third friend would just type what was being said and done on a seperate computer. In addition to another game we had planned and a LOT of Stu being sexy.

The only major content based thing I wanted to do was the internet in the past ten years. My friend gave me his old AOL account, I was going to log into AOL 2.0, join random chats, I had a friendster account made with this purpose, and an archived set of videos and the original html pages of a lot of different sites. A mentallity and "average poster" style for each year and within each site/chat program have the audience speak and act how most people did back when it was popular.

Recently there was a niconicodouga mix video that was made that had how flash has changed, and what was popular ten years ago, and how it evolved into the current day video sites like youtube and niconicodouga. When I watched that vid, it seriously felt amazingly nostalgic so that was the basis of it. I set it up to be10 minutes for each year starting at '93-'08.

All of which I couldn't do.

But I did have a lot of fun throwing the panel, even though I was totally left in despair.

The (lack of) internet has left me in despair.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 27, 2008, 01:23:55 AM
But I did have a lot of fun throwing the panel, even though I was totally left in despair.

The (lack of) internet has left me in despair.

Wow. That's possibly the most IC you've been with your cosplay all weekend. I think I'm going to gag.

The Sax: Thanks for all your support, dude, for both the Maid Cafe and the failure of the panel we had this year. It's... seriously, from the bottom of our hearts (Cue cheesy music.) highly appreciated. Hopefully it'll work out next year. I think all this support from Anon lately is powering up the encouragement to make it happen.

FanimaidCafe.com

Chun

That explains why I saw "Canceled" the second day when I actually could attend.

Yeah, the internet situation in the convention improved this year but in terms of panels it was left a bit to be desired. Some panels that didn't need internet could have otherwise been replaced by panels that did need it in the same time slot. I was fortunate enough to have a friend provide me with WAN access.

There's always next year.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Priz

Was looking forward to attending this panel, but I ended up going to Anime North with the Japanese/US Momoist group. ($139 each way via Air Canada from SFO to Toronto) They claimed to have numbers rivaling Fanime last year, but this year it seemed about 1/3rd less people than Fanime last year. I don't have exact numbers to back that up, though.

I did enjoy the panel last year though and if I stayed home and went to Fanime, I would have been there. My friend Victor did go and mentioned they looked through someone's hard drive folders for stuff to look at and there was a "Momoi" folder, but they didn't open it. Ah well. :) I"m curious what was in there.

There's always next year... now if I could just get the con staff to get Momoi there... :)

Saint-Vegas

It blew ass. All the same, I really wanted to see more and it was kinda disappointing that it didn't happen the next day.

I know the 4channer's were all sorts of pissed.

It better come back next year. Otherwise I'll feel like I made a mistake not taking the mic and recieving/delivering verbal harassment. 

By the way, does anybody see the irony in this? Our reliance on the internet, that is.

PSN: Saint-Vegas | MSN: [email protected]
Fanime 2008: Persona 3's Junpei Iori.

Tetsuo9999

I used my PSP to sniff for internet signals after I left the panel (about an hour or so into it), and it seems like the only way you guys could get a signal to use would be to have the panel by the hotel or dealer's room. I'm sure a laptop could get a stronger signal, so maybe a panel a few rooms away from where it was this year would work.

You guys did a great job, even with the main focus of the panel unavailable.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Tetsuo9999 on May 28, 2008, 04:39:23 PM
I used my PSP to sniff for internet signals after I left the panel (about an hour or so into it), and it seems like the only way you guys could get a signal to use would be to have the panel by the hotel or dealer's room. I'm sure a laptop could get a stronger signal, so maybe a panel a few rooms away from where it was this year would work.

Double edged. We can get a different room, but then we'd have to cap the room's attendance. I think there were about 212 or so people at the panel this year. The next biggest room only has capacity for a 120(the room we had last year).

Saint: I would have welcomed it, it would have been entertaining to talk back to you.

Tetsuo9999

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 28, 2008, 08:12:58 PM
Quote from: Tetsuo9999 on May 28, 2008, 04:39:23 PM

Double edged. We can get a different room, but then we'd have to cap the room's attendance. I think there were about 212 or so people at the panel this year. The next biggest room only has capacity for a 120(the room we had last year).

Saint: I would have welcomed it, it would have been entertaining to talk back to you.

IT'S CRACKPR0N FROM SRK

Is a wired connection a possibility? I didn't notice any modem outlets in the panel rooms, but I do have a long ethernet cable you guys could use if need be.

OniCourseMusha

It sux that I had to miss out on Saturday but I one of my friends did check it out.  Mikey you don't remember my friend Smikey?
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

PyronIkari

Quote from: Tetsuo9999 on May 29, 2008, 06:19:03 AM

IT'S CRACKPR0N FROM SRK

Is a wired connection a possibility? I didn't notice any modem outlets in the panel rooms, but I do have a long ethernet cable you guys could use if need be.

Indeed it is. Wired is impossible. There is no jack in the room, so outside of stretching one onto the concourse, it'd be a no go.

Onicourse: I don't know... do I? that's kind of a crap description.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 29, 2008, 09:24:31 PM

Onicourse: I don't know... do I? that's kind of a crap description.
After you said while in your panel, "this panel is for 15 and older".  He's the guy who yelled out "Then why are here?"
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

otakuapprentice

damn, i knew i missed a panel to go to.

oh well, maybe next year....if its back next year.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Zero_Kirby