Long Lines for registration

Started by wavieira, May 15, 2008, 10:17:29 AM

wavieira

Is there something that can be done about the long lines (and wait times) for registration?  I've been going for the last couple of years, and am astounded how long it takes to get through that process.  I pre-register, which helps, but not a lot.  Unfortunately, tha's not a great option for several in my party, and it amazes me that it takes so long.  I go to a lot of conferences and conventions, and fanime, by far, takes the longest time to get through, and it's not the largest.   >:(

A few thoughts to consider:

1.  Do more things in parallel.
2.  pass out forms for people to fill in advance. (this was done a little bit)
3.  Have people backing up those taking forms/money
4.  Take the person's money, enter their name for the badge, and enter the rest of the form ON YOUR OWN TIME! 

On the 2006 Con, my daughter and I waited in line for 2 HOURS!  That was 2 hours we couldn't see stuff.  And more importantly, it was two hours we didn't spend money with exhibitors.  Multiply that by the hundreds who waited, and you'd have to imagine that it was an enormous amount of lost income for vendors.

Tony

Hmm... we should hit up the Dealers to sponsor Registration so that it will run faster. Good idea!
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

M

Quote from: wavieira on May 15, 2008, 10:17:29 AM
Is there something that can be done about the long lines (and wait times) for registration?  I've been going for the last couple of years, and am astounded how long it takes to get through that process.  I pre-register, which helps, but not a lot.  Unfortunately, tha's not a great option for several in my party, and it amazes me that it takes so long.  I go to a lot of conferences and conventions, and fanime, by far, takes the longest time to get through, and it's not the largest.   >:(

A few thoughts to consider:

1.  Do more things in parallel.
2.  pass out forms for people to fill in advance. (this was done a little bit)
3.  Have people backing up those taking forms/money
4.  Take the person's money, enter their name for the badge, and enter the rest of the form ON YOUR OWN TIME! 

On the 2006 Con, my daughter and I waited in line for 2 HOURS!  That was 2 hours we couldn't see stuff.  And more importantly, it was two hours we didn't spend money with exhibitors.  Multiply that by the hundreds who waited, and you'd have to imagine that it was an enormous amount of lost income for vendors.

I made a few comments here before noticing this post but I'll repeat and add some more comments in this post too.

I've also been to many conventions, conferences, etc. and although FanimeCon's lines are long, they're not the longest (to note, I've been to conventions/conferences with less than 100 people to ones with over 20k). Your post comes off as you accusing Registration of not working to improve the wait, when it's actually been improving every year since I've been helping out (since 1999).

You do make a good point in that we should be handing out forms to everyone in advance and making sure that people are filling them out, although we still hit the road block of having more people lining up than are getting registered.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

SOawesomeness

Let me put it this way: at least it's not like this convention where they only had about 45 attendees and it took them 2+ hours to get their badge. >.>
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Moonblossom

Two hours is really nothing compared to a lot of larger cons. And if you're pre-registering and picking your badge up early, you're not missing -any- time in the dealer room, since it's not open at that time.

Shi_Musouka

Could it be possible that they may need more extra registration booth desks thingys as far as registration processing goes as opposed to more staff? I'm aware that it is probable that registration has used up all the registration sign desk-things (for lack of a better word for it), but maybe if there were more registration stations that could be provided or made via makeshift for processing members, the digital information processing part would be faster. From the outside, it seems like it could compensate for the limited processing speed of registration staff(they ARE human, after all...).

I know I'm making another jump in logic again, especially because I'm aware that more booths will require more staff to work those extra spots... and each department has a limit on their budgets, so it may not be as feasible.

But it's just a thought I had so yeah...

Tony

When you see the layout this year, you'll understand... registration has turned into a sprawling, untamed beast in order to process more people.
Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014

Shi_Musouka

Quote from: Tony on May 16, 2008, 07:57:28 AM... registration has turned into a sprawling, untamed beast in order to process more people.

Wow, that sounds kind of scary :[... Yay for non-scary staff pickups! (Nay for line control)

MikoChika

Two hours really isn't bad. I've stayed in longer lines at movie premires then that and I've gone to other conventions ( fan run conventions) That have takent hat long before. But really standing in line isn't all that boring. You get to meet some really awesoem people and even make your first con friends in line at regestration. And two hours out of three or four days really isn't alot.
Sure things could move alittle faster, but I personally wouldn't mind if it didn't ^^
The staff is doing their best and that is all that counts.
Please, don't feed the moogle.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: MikoChika on May 16, 2008, 07:39:57 PM
The staff is doing their best and that is all that counts.
(:
I feel so appreciated. <3
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

heeroyuy135

I am really praying here that the lines to register are nothing compared to Anime Boston...and now ACEN. Yes, people out of ACEN are reporting 8+ hours to register.

I can tolerate 1-2-3 hours, but anything like 8+ hours would be overkill. Then again, I never hear anything about Fanime's Reg Lines so that's a good thing :)

Steve.Young

Quote from: Tony on May 16, 2008, 07:57:28 AM
When you see the layout this year, you'll understand... registration has turned into a sprawling, untamed beast in order to process more people.

Should I be scared enough that I DON'T want to work line control on Saturday mornings?
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Tony

Naaah. It's actually quite logical, once you figure it out - it's just the initial confusion that might pose problems. But, so long as directions are followed, it should go smoothly.
Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014

ewu

TONY!!! will you protect me from this big scary beast? I hear it has sharp member registering teeth.......

Quote from: Tony on May 16, 2008, 07:57:28 AM
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

SOawesomeness

Quote from: ewu on May 19, 2008, 10:34:17 PM
TONY!!! will you protect me from this big scary beast? I hear it has sharp member registering teeth.......
I'm sure you can scare it away with your Pink Snuggly Poo Attack, Mr. SnugglyCutiePoo. (:

[I digress...]
Yay, 4 more days, I'm so excited. I get to help register thousands of people! >.>;;
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

Steve.Young

And I get to keep them all in line.

Excellent. *Gets whip ready*
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

milki

I'm working in the pre-reg area and it really feels like the lines go by very fast. I appreciate the lines being out of site.... Any comments on the lines so far? I've been hearing positive feedback so far. We did run into some understaffing issues today, but we managed. I don't know about the reg area though.

SOawesomeness

At-con was pretty awesome, we got cleared by 3-4ish? We almost had like, no freaking line. Longest I heard was 2 hours, average time was probably 45 min-1hr.

I'm so amazed. It feels like a Monday right now... there's like... no one I need to register at this moment...

Amazing. (:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration