Gay Marriage Legalized in California

Started by JTchinoy, May 16, 2008, 02:00:10 PM

JTchinoy

San Francisco --

The California Supreme Court overturned a voter-approved gay marriage ban Thursday in a ruling that would make the nation's largest state the second one to allow gay and lesbian weddings.

The justices released the 4-3 decision, saying that domestic partnerships are not a good enough substitute for marriage in an opinion written by Chief Justice Ron George. Justices Joyce Kennard, Kathryn Werdegar and Carlos Moreno joined the majority.

Outside the courthouse, gay marriage supporters cried and cheered as news spread of the decision.

In striking down the ban, the court said, "In contrast to earlier times, our state now recognizes that an individual's capacity to establish a loving and long-term committed relationship with another person and responsibly to care for and raise children does not depend upon the individual's sexual orientation, and, more generally, that an individual's sexual orientation -- like a person's race or gender -- does not constitute a legitimate basis upon which to deny or withhold legal rights."

While agreeing with many arguments of the majority, Justice Marvin Baxter said in a dissenting opinion that the high court overstepped its authority. Changes to marriage laws should be decided by the voters, Baxter wrote. Justices Ming Chin and Carol Corrigan joined in dissenting.

The cases were brought by the city of San Francisco, two dozen gay and lesbian couples, Equality California and another gay rights group in March 2004 after the court halted San Francisco's monthlong same-sex wedding march that took place at Mayor Gavin Newsom's direction.

"Today the California Supreme Court took a giant leap to ensure that everybody -- not just in the state of California, but throughout the country -- will have equal treatment under the law," said City Attorney Dennis Herrera, who argued the case for San Francisco.

The challenge for gay rights advocates, however, is not over.

A coalition of religious and social conservative groups is attempting to put a measure on the November ballot that would enshrine laws banning gay marriage in the state constitution.

The Secretary of State is expected to rule by the end of June whether the sponsors gathered enough signatures to qualify the marriage amendment, similar to ones enacted in 26 other states.

If voters pass the measure in November, it would overrule the court decision.

http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=4EEEB4FD4D7EE77BA177F1A0EA527A6D?contentId=6550042&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

I'm all for it personally.  ;D

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Rei-Rei

All for it, too.
I would understand why some people would oppose it since it's frowned upon by their religion or they just don't like it.... But I don't see why some groups should try to ban Gay Marriage, since it's none of their business what the couples do or don't do..... It's totally up to the couples and what goes on between them has nothing to do with anyone else.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Rei-Rei on May 16, 2008, 05:52:40 PM
All for it, too.
I would understand why some people would oppose it since it's frowned upon by their religion or they just don't like it.... But I don't see why some groups should try to ban Gay Marriage, since it's none of their business what the couples do or don't do..... It's totally up to the couples and what goes on between them has nothing to do with anyone else.

Same here, why do they care how other people live their life? Screw them, being gay is not a sin (I've heard that it is), just because the pope says so doesn't mean it is, he doesn't have that power to decide whats a sin and whats not, only God can do that. And besides its not like banning gay marriage will stop people from being gay.

(not gay)

Mizuki

JTchinoy

Well you know how it is with people saying that marriage is reserved for the love between a man and a woman, although I've never read that official definition personally.  So they think gay people getting married soils the sanctity that marriage represents.

Then the stuff about gay people raising kids, and those kids will likely be gay blah blah blah.  All that homophobe BS about gays ruining the straight world.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Shi_Musouka

I'd say it's also fear of change and not just the sanctity of marriage. I imagine the reactions of people were similar when interracial marriages became common, but today it's not a big complaint(except from the more racist groups of people).

I get the feeling that people will become more and more used to same sex marriages over time...

Other than that, yay for gays!

cappeh

hi i lav u

redroses3164

Hopefully it'll stay but all the uptight, crazy people are making such a huge fuss over it.

I would call myself a very religious person (I'm Catholic and proud to be one), but I don't choke my beliefs on other people. I think that gay people have the right to love and marriage just like everyone else. It's stupid to seclude them in the ceremony just because they're gay. Their life won't effect yours. If you believe they're going to Hell, then why worry about them? Just worry about your own destiny. Any person I've talked to who don't like gay people (or want to make them straight) are always saying stuff about their after-life situation. I hate hate hate that argument because everyone believes different things jeez.

I watched the speech Mr. Gavin Newsom made on tv yesterday (I think?). It was really good and very inspiring. I also hope that other states will follow suit.

blancoisma

Now if only I had a man in my life to marry, my life would be full of win. XD

But seriously, this is definitely a huge hurdle and victory for gay rights. And I'm also very proud of those that are open minded and are willing to accept and see that all that we're looking for is equality and to show that our love and devotion to our loved ones like anybody else. Hopefully, it'll only get better from here on out.
"Well, I'm already going to hell for kissing you so I may as well take the scenic route."

-Aaron Davis, Latter Days

JTchinoy

apparently voters can overturn this decision in november.  let's hope america is majority liberal and keep the decision.  :)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Chewie

Even if they do overturn it, give it a few more years. They can't hold out forever. While now they bicker and piss and moan about gays being able to marry they are going to soon(even if it is 3 decades too late) find out they have much bigger problems and stop worrying about peoples right to do whatever the fuck they want.

The y generation is going to turn shit around and in the next 20 years the world is going to be a much better place. Just wait for it.

At least our kids will enjoy it all.

JTchinoy

intense debate going on about this in the forum that i got this article from.  ???

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Kazuko

well for now Im glad that this has passed =) Im all for it

ultramangaia

Quote from: JohnnyAR on May 16, 2008, 06:29:39 PM
Quote from: Rei-Rei on May 16, 2008, 05:52:40 PM
All for it, too.

Same here, why do they care how other people live their life? Screw them, being gay is not a sin (I've heard that it is), just because the pope says so doesn't mean it is, he doesn't have that power to decide whats a sin and whats not, only God can do that. And besides its not like banning gay marriage will stop people from being gay.

(not gay)

Well if you want to now what God has to say look up 1 Corinthians 6:9 in the bible.

JTchinoy

i'm going to chance being stoned by the religious people and say i really don't care what that scripture says. ;D

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Steve.Young

As someone who has studied religion as a partisan neutral person, I'm going to say that religious activists really need to go and study the history of their religion a little bit more before they make ASSumptions. (Not about gay marriage, but just their religion in general. If they knew the things that their religion used to consider moral, they'd think twice about using it as a justification for intolerance against gays)
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Haruka

Very glad to see this finally come about.  It warms my heart to know that the system actually works, once in a while.  To see the Supreme Court stand up to discrimintaion is wonderful.  A ban on gay marriage, regardless of its religious implications, is discrimination, pure and simple.
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

JTchinoy

I hear there's gay marriages scheduled as early as June. o.o
*hopes closet conservatives don't vote the ruling down*

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Lactose

my mom and her girlfriend of 13 years are getting married in september. =)
Lactose = Liz

Rei-Rei

I mean, even if they ban gay marriages in November... Gay couples will still continue to live with each other and act like a couple... (Take my friend's parents for example.)
You can't really just go about telling gay couples that they can't be together. =\

But anyways I'm happy for all the gay couples out there. ^^