Say something the rest of us might not know about you

Started by questionette, May 19, 2008, 08:30:12 PM

Boba

It took me an hour to put in my contacts this morning.
Add my @live.com email on Faceboooook! 0:

michiko nakano

Quote from: caskaslyrk on February 22, 2010, 01:29:11 AM
Quote from: michiko nakano on February 20, 2010, 09:52:00 PM
that sounds super fun!  I'd be able to do Scotland, england (historically speaking), japan, and especially india!  got lots of stuff from india.  even the forehead dots.  and bangles.  

We did an India themed night...but man putting on a sari is hard work!! Almost as bad as a kimono!  I really, really want to do a Korean night, but alas I want to find a really cute hanbok.   :D  Be careful with the dots from the india culture...I see a lot of woman wear them as a fashion statement but in their culture it means your married..LOL
lol, no it doesn't neccessarily mean you're married.  little girls wear black ones, girls wear red ones when they
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
and for weddings and other fancy events they wear rhinestones and pretty metal decorations and stuff.  I'm sure there's a different type for when the women are married as well, but the little girls at the orphanage my dad works at wear little black ones.

edit: this is in Sri Lanka, which has pretty much the same culture as India. 

Mister_E

I am starting to get the Fanime excitement jumps with it being like 3 months away, soon the nightmares will come. Like if I forget my costume, money, or I felt like I slept through the whole thing. They are awful!
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

PinkHairSasuke

I called someone a druggie today. They started it :-\

caskaslyrk

Quote from: michiko nakano on February 22, 2010, 06:45:14 PM
Quote from: caskaslyrk on February 22, 2010, 01:29:11 AM
Quote from: michiko nakano on February 20, 2010, 09:52:00 PM
that sounds super fun!  I'd be able to do Scotland, england (historically speaking), japan, and especially india!  got lots of stuff from india.  even the forehead dots.  and bangles.  

We did an India themed night...but man putting on a sari is hard work!! Almost as bad as a kimono!  I really, really want to do a Korean night, but alas I want to find a really cute hanbok.   :D  Be careful with the dots from the india culture...I see a lot of woman wear them as a fashion statement but in their culture it means your married..LOL
lol, no it doesn't neccessarily mean you're married.  little girls wear black ones, girls wear red ones when they
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
and for weddings and other fancy events they wear rhinestones and pretty metal decorations and stuff.  I'm sure there's a different type for when the women are married as well, but the little girls at the orphanage my dad works at wear little black ones.

edit: this is in Sri Lanka, which has pretty much the same culture as India. 
Yes, different colors mean different things.  You just have to wear the right one and style  =D 

Barnes

Last Friday I went to a lecture on Japanese-Americans in the internment camps during WW2. Afterward, I told one of the speakers that I did a research project on the subject last summer, and that I came over to learn more. He told me "thank you," and that touched me. It's great to know that people appreciate other people's desire to learn about a human rights issue.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

michiko nakano

Quote from: Barnes on February 25, 2010, 11:18:02 PM
Last Friday I went to a lecture on Japanese-Americans in the internment camps during WW2. Afterward, I told one of the speakers that I did a research project on the subject last summer, and that I came over to learn more. He told me "thank you," and that touched me. It's great to know that people appreciate other people's desire to learn about a human rights issue.
I also thank you for caring about that particular subject... my grandfather is Japanese, and his family had emmigrated to Hawaii by that time.  Hawaii couldn't put their Japanese population in internment camps, but instead my grandfather and his six brothers got drafted into the U.S. Army and were stationed in Japan, sometimes as translators, but most of the time fighting.  It was really sad that they had to kill their own people, and my grandfather was so traumatized that he cannot talk about it, even this many years later.  So... thanks again for caring about that subject.  :)

Boba

ELDEMONIO

Boba

JohnnyAR

Boba

Jerry

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

kyochan

i got to coffee bean and they ran out of my favorite dark chocolate ice blended goodness T_T
Mah dead branches will pwn joo! >=D<br /> - Kyochan

Mister_E

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

ELDEMONIO

Quote from: Boba on February 26, 2010, 12:13:12 PM
I want you to work today. ;-;
:o  :'(

I am so looking liek a Mexican L these days.>.>

michiko nakano

today i decided that i'm going to become a shakespeare professor! 

Jerry

Quote from: michiko nakano on March 03, 2010, 10:47:13 AM
today i decided that i'm going to become a shakespeare professor!  

I was the first[?] to find out!!!? :D Woot!

I'm shaking a Speare as if i dont know what that means. >_<
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Boba

I found a book about how Shakespeare didn't really write any of those stories or poems.

EDIT : & I was the first one! I just forgot to click the Reply button! C:

michiko nakano

Quote from: Boba on March 03, 2010, 11:44:50 AM
I found a book about how Shakespeare didn't really write any of those stories or poems.

EDIT : & I was the first one! I just forgot to click the Reply button! C:
no i told jerry in a private message before i posted it on here.

the deal with shakespeare is, it was hard to get paper because it was so rare and expensive back then.  so he just wrote one manuscript and had his actors memorize their lines.  because so few people were literate back then, they had a much higher ability to memorize things than we do.  they could basically memorize all their lines in a day, so that they could get the play on the stage and start making money-- theatres have always been poor.  if you think about it, a ballerina (me being one) has to memorize full ballets and perform them all the time, and often they must know many, many ballets to keep the repertoire going.  so it's similar to Shakespeare's actors-- they had to have five or six plays all memorized, multiple parts, performing one or two different ones every day at one oclock. 

so the way that his plays were recorded was one of two ways:  his actors would write out their lines and compile them, or the audience members would memorize the lines or write them down.  this is why there are so many different editions of shakespeare's plays.  it's because there were multiple people stealing/recording his work. 

another interesting fact:  every wonder why newspaper pages are that big rectangular size?  they hadn't very well figured out how to mass produce paper, so they were still in the system of using sheep hides as a means to write and print on.  each sheep hide, folded in half the long way, could yield two rectangular sized sheets, each being the size of basically what our newspapers are today.  naturally, sheep hides were not always readily available, and very expensive to obtain.  thus books, consisting of hundreds of sheep, were extreeeemely expensive.  this meant that only the rich people could afford books, which meant that only rich people could read and become cultured.  Also, you'll notice that old books tend to be bigger. 

i'd love to share shakespeare information, and lots of history about those times, so pm me if you ever need material for class or something.