Hilton Hotel Questions and Answers

Started by HILTONSTAFF, May 21, 2008, 09:57:06 AM

Knightfire

Starting work for Fanime 2011

puyo_pop

What are the parking services available and what are the costs?

RyuSan777

does anyone or can anyone show pictures of the fountains in front of the establishment? btw the renovatiions make me wanna ditch my mariot reservation and move over to the hilton
Fanime Cosplays
Day 1: Ootori Kyoya- Ouran HS Host Club,
Tsuchimi Rin-Shuffle!,Kiryu Zero-Vampire Knights
Day 2:Hitsugaya Toushiro *Bankai Form*- Bleach
Death the kid-Soul Eater, Zero-Code Geass
Day 3:Philipenes-Hetalia
Day 4:Kyon- The Meloncholy

Kender

Quote from: puyo_pop on April 01, 2009, 04:54:07 PM
What are the parking services available and what are the costs?

Previously posted here

My own question/curiosity/suggestion:
Hilton has not offered a discount on parking since my first year attending Fanime back in 2004.  Self-parking was discounted from $15 (I believe) to $10 a night for Hilton guests who were attending Fanime.  Many of the other hotels offer a discount on their valet parking and I've always been shocked Hilton stopped doing this.

I figure this is something that won't change in time for this year, but it has always been a large source of disappointment for me with Hilton.  And one of the few things that makes me regret choosing Hilton every year since 2004.  If it did not have self-parking I would most likely switch.

I would like to suggest offering a discount to the parking costs for Fanime attendees who are staying at the Hilton.  This would serve as another reason for Fanime attendees to choose Hilton over the other nearby hotels.

I'm not suggesting it be dropped so low as $10 again, of course, but a small discount would be appreciated.  The current rate makes staying the full weekend cost almost as much as it does to stay in the room for one night.  And since my car is not treated to HDTV or even a decent amount of protection (I still have damage to my bumper from 2007 where another Hilton guest who was allowed to park in a "No Parking" area of the Hilton garage and remain there even after I was assured it would be dealt with after I complained nicked my bumper and left a large groove in it), I really don't feel it's worth the roughly $80 I spend on parking alone for the weekend, but I unfortunately have no choice as I need in and out parking.

Anywho, just a suggestion to consider for future years from a San Jose Hilton guest since 2004 :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.  We grow old because we stop playing."

RagolSlayer

Just a quick question:

Do people have access to wireless internet from their rooms (either free or pay) or is only ethernet available?

Tried checking on the Hilton website, but the only thing I found out about wireless was that they had it in the lobby.

M

Quote from: RagolSlayer on May 09, 2009, 10:32:38 PM
Just a quick question:

Do people have access to wireless internet from their rooms (either free or pay) or is only ethernet available?

Tried checking on the Hilton website, but the only thing I found out about wireless was that they had it in the lobby.
There is paid wireless and wired internet available. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

SweetNiar

I have a room at the Hilton and if I want to change my arrival day from Thursday to Friday...do I call the hotel or Fanime Housing to change it?? And if I am able to...am I going to get charged a fee??

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: SweetNiar on May 17, 2009, 09:54:25 PM
I have a room at the Hilton and if I want to change my arrival day from Thursday to Friday...do I call the hotel or Fanime Housing to change it?? And if I am able to...am I going to get charged a fee??

"changes and cancellations without penalties until May 18, 2009."

Taken from Fanime Housing Website.
I would just call the hotel directly, but you might still be able to make changes through the housing website.

Guise

Just for anyone staying. I checked in to the Hilton yesterday and the new rooms are absolutely awesome. Staff are amazingly helpful.

Space wise, I'm in a guest with king size, but you could probably fit three on the bed if you were very good friends (!) and there is a very, very sturdy chair with footrest that is totally curl-up-on-able. Floor space is very generous too. Plenty of storage space too.

Rooms have mini fridges, decent air con, theres ice and vending on each floor opposite room xx01.

TVs have ports on the side of their units (which have a lot of space) for audio in (both singular feed and those white/red cables), video in (the yellow cable), s-video in, pc video in (standard vga style) and digital video in.

The wifi is down in the lobby, though it shows up on macbook up here on twelfth floor, but the room internet is much more worth it ($10 a night, with discounts for multiple nights) - only get one cable though, and it's fairly short.

It's a really nice place!

M

Quote from: Guise on May 19, 2009, 10:41:47 AMTVs have ports on the side of their units (which have a lot of space) for audio in (both singular feed and those white/red cables), video in (the yellow cable), s-video in, pc video in (standard vga style) and digital video in.
The TV doesn't recognize my Component cables. :( I have to use the normal A/V cables which doesn't look as good, but it's fine.

I really like the new rooms. So sexy!

Guise

Quote from: MPLe on May 19, 2009, 04:54:24 PM
Quote from: Guise on May 19, 2009, 10:41:47 AMTVs have ports on the side of their units (which have a lot of space) for audio in (both singular feed and those white/red cables), video in (the yellow cable), s-video in, pc video in (standard vga style) and digital video in.
The TV doesn't recognize my Component cables. :( I have to use the normal A/V cables which doesn't look as good, but it's fine.

What about the ones physically on the back of the tv, they look slightly different...or could just be me trying to look at them from a stupid angle.

M

Quote from: Guise on May 19, 2009, 07:25:21 PMWhat about the ones physically on the back of the tv, they look slightly different...or could just be me trying to look at them from a stupid angle.
The side panel seems to be connected to wires that connect directly to the back of the TVs. Unfortunately, there's no component connections on the side panel, but there is a hookup on the TV.

I hooked up my Xbox 360 to the Component connections on the back of the TV and it detects it when I go to A/V, but when I flip the switch to HD (on the 360 connector) the TV display remains black (without a signal). *shrugs* At least I'm able to connect my Xbox 360. :D

LunaNeko

Loved my stay in Hilton.
The good:
Bar and Grill downstairs that served affordable food all weekend long AND Starbucks coffee with NO LINE!!! I felt sorry for all the people in line at Starbucks after getting my cup of coffee in like 2 seconds. XD.
Great staff
Mini-Fridges
Lots of space in the room
Comfy beds
Gorgeous lobby

Could be better:
Bathroom door was bigger then the bathroom itself, and it was too close to hotel room door and you had to close one to open the other and vise versa, and space was so small between them I surprised nobody got their hands stuck or something else, lol.
Bathroom sink could be bigger, between 4 cosplay girls in our room, our make up stuff did not fit, and only one person could do their make up at the time.
No mirrors in the room other then bathroom and closet door, where lighting was terrible.
No mirrors in the halls by the elevators. I sure could use one! Or add one to elevators. Even without being a cosplayer, I am sure most girls would appreciate one last glance in the mirror before leaving the hotel.

The bad:
4 am Fire Drill. Not sure whos fault it was, but after performing in masq the night before and being DEAD tired, waking up at 4 am and go outside was NOT FUN.

Kender

Quote from: LunaNeko on May 26, 2009, 01:50:52 PM
The bad:
4 am Fire Drill. Not sure whos fault it was, but after performing in masq the night before and being DEAD tired, waking up at 4 am and go outside was NOT FUN.

My friend and I found out about this a full day after it happened.  At 4am we were driving to Fremont because I knew the Carls Jr. (which at the time I was thinking it'd been a Wendy's) was open 24 hours.  I'm so glad we listened to our cravings now.

I actually agree with a lot that was said already in terms of pro and con this year, but to add to the con:

Parking: I was told at the front desk that the $18 had been a "special rate" negotiated by the con just for Fanime attendees since parking rates had gone up since last year.  Whoopty doo, a whole $1 savings  (regular parking was $19 a night for those who didn't read the Hilton Parking signs).

A/C: To make it anywhere tolerably cool in the room, my roommates and I had to turn it down as low as it would go (60F).  It never got below (roughly) 78F in the room.  And even then it would still be in the low 80sF most of the time.  It blew nice and cold, it just did not cool the whole room down.

And, to be fair, adding to the good:
TV hookups for consoles, etc = WIN.  If I'd been thinking properly, I'd have brought a DVD player with me, but being able to at least hook up a Wii was a fantastic improvement.

My biggest gripe this weekend was with the parking, however.  I'm used to the gate being open in the middle of the night, but I saw it routinely open in the middle of the day for several hours on every day of the convention.  This meant that anyone who didn't prepay their parking (like I and I'm sure many other Hilton guests did) got away with paying far less than they should have compared with others and myself paying $18 times however many nights we stayed.

I was also annoyed Hilton failed to give me my bill under my door the morning I was to check out as promised.  It took more time than I expected just to check out because of this.

Suggestions for next time:
-A real discount on parking for Fanime attendees like we used to have.
-Or, if that is not an option, regulate the parking better so that fewer people get away with not paying.
-Or, even though it is probably not a viable option as I know that parking lot probably makes a lot of money for Hilton, I'd love to see it as "guests only" parking.
-Fix the A/C so it actually cools down the room without having to constantly run it so low.
-Please do not fail to give a bill when promised on a certain day.

Beyond that, I was again quite happy with my stay in the Hilton.  The only other issues I had were not Hilton's fault (such as annoying individuals constantly telling those on the lower floors to take the stairs without regard for medical issues or the fact that those guests paid for the same right to use the elevator as they did).

I will be returning to the Hilton next year for sure :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.  We grow old because we stop playing."

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom