Anyone else see the people on Saturday?

Started by DomoRulesTheWorld, May 25, 2008, 02:53:31 PM

questionette

Were those the people holding up a statue of virgin mary and carrying big picket signs of religious figures?
Yeah, I walked through that parade of people just as they say "God pray for our sinners" I was like WTF
That was by FAR the weirdest most creepy thing I've ever seen.  And that's really saying something.

Jerks. 

SheikOfTwili

Quote from: Gaki on May 25, 2008, 10:46:10 PM
Whatever happened to "Judge not, lest ye be judged?"  I think they really ought to follow their own beliefs before condemning people about however they would wish to live their lives.  Good to hear that they did get the anonymous treatment from the con's assortment of /b/-tards though.

And besides, I've personally turned to Jesus already.  Every single damn time I went to the elevator hall on the second floor of the Marriot.

I heard he did go out, but he should have put on a raptor-mask and then gone out for the lulz.

Were they judging us? It is true, we're not to judge.

I wasn't sure what was going on. I'm a Christian myself....and I was hoping they weren't thinking we were evil. I mean...it's not wrong to cosplay. God gave me creativity and I use it.

I can see why they'd come over...to like share the good news..but if it was causing a problem, they probably could have gone somewhere else or something.. I don't know ><;;

Mister_E

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

IamTetsuo

I got some great shots of the protesters in hilarious juxtaposition with cosplayers.

Just a quick preview of what I got (more photos to come as I have time to upload them to proper hosting).

Trumby

Quote from: questionette on May 26, 2008, 03:35:27 PM
Were those the people holding up a statue of virgin mary and carrying big picket signs of religious figures?
Yeah, I walked through that parade of people just as they say "God pray for our sinners" I was like WTF
That was by FAR the weirdest most creepy thing I've ever seen.  And that's really saying something.

Jerks. 
Nah, that group in the park was something completely different. We were all trying to figure that thing out while doing the Bleach cosplay chess..'twas strange.
Fanime cosplays (if I can make it..!)
Snowtrooper (Star Wars)
Greed (FMA)
Random pirate
Kurosaki Isshin (working on it now)

Glitch

My friends, this was epic. I hope more videos pop up because a hell of lot when on. When jesus first appeared the crowd went wild. And before he got up on the stone pedestal, Hard Gay hugged him.(and then did some crotch thrusts. XD) Later on somebody placed the wolf wood cross on his back, while one of the spartans jabbed a spear into his side. Eventually security moved the protesters back a few feet off the convention center.
Funny because for a few moments there, I felt it was not a man dressed as jesus but the actual jesus coming forth from heaven to defend fandom. ^^

And funnier still since those protesters inadverntanly made our fanime even lulzier. XD

Quote from: IamTetsuo on May 26, 2008, 11:40:54 PM
I got some great shots of the protesters in hilarious juxtaposition with cosplayers.

Just a quick preview of what I got (more photos to come as I have time to upload them to proper hosting).

What was also funny was the back of the sign that said jesus is wonderful. The funny juxtaposing occured to me at fanime too. Especially when someone sees it out of context. Somebody was asked me if jesus and the protesters were part of some publicity team. XD

G.I.R

I didn't realize at first, but when I watched the videos the second time, one of the Zealots was using a video camera and recording the crowd.  Hmmmm...

Eurobeat King

Quote from: G.I.R on May 27, 2008, 08:49:14 AM
I didn't realize at first, but when I watched the videos the second time, one of the Zealots was using a video camera and recording the crowd.  Hmmmm...

I wonder if they'll post their video(s) online, or if they'll see the ones that the Fanime attendees posted. haha   ;D

"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

JohnnyAR

Then its on! Anyonmous V.S. Religous protesters

I wonder how far they are willing to go?

Yuu

I'm inclined to believe they were sent by Vic Mignoa. >P

Yea that was incredibly assholic of them, but well thats free speech for you.
Were allowed to run around like a bunch of dorks and they're allowed to protest it, and we, in turn have the freedom to Rickroll them and turn them into one giant joke.

I'm glad they showed up, but I am damned upset that I missed it. Being dressed as a shinigami I would have run in there chasing off Jessus yelling " You took our jobs!"

JohnnyAR

DJ_eclipse

my roomate showed me this monday morning. we were hella laughing for hours to come non stop. Jesus ftmfw/1

vasher

Heh, we caught the tail end of it at our Trinity Blood gathering.  Very amusing. <3

OniCourseMusha

Oh man I was there the whole time!  It was the most epic scene I've seen at fanime so far!  Glad I went to the Nintendo gathering for this!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Death_Note_Matt

Quote from: error00004 on May 26, 2008, 03:08:04 PM
I was really funny yes, but D;
ruined our gathering.

Yes it did ruin our gathering Dx
Another Player has Entered the Game

WeAreAnonymous

To all who witnessed the RickRolling,

This was a mistake on our part. Anonymous is NOT an "anti-religious hate group". Our aim is to protest the Cult of $cientology, and to spread the truth of their crimes and corruption to its members and critics. Whether or not these certain protesters outside the convention were religious nuts, our intent was NOT to protest them or their beliefs. They have not committed atrocious crimes and harmful misdeeds. Our intent was to recruit people to OUR cause, and rickrolling was our first and best option we had. However, having this done in front of them and setting ourselves up to look like we protest against all religions was a mistake and the wrong thing to do.

Therefore, we apologize to you for giving you the wrong impression, and we apologize to the two men who were using their right to free speech. If you would like to really know who we are and what we stand for, visit www.youfoundthecard.com www.enturbulation.org and www.xenu.net

Sincerely,
Anonymous

Yuu

Quote from: WeAreAnonymous on May 27, 2008, 07:13:26 PM

This was a mistake on our part. Anonymous is NOT an "anti-religious hate group". Our aim is to protest the Cult of $cientology, and to spread the truth of their crimes and corruption to its members and critics. Whether or not these certain protesters outside the convention were religious nuts, our intent was NOT to protest them or their beliefs. They have not committed atrocious crimes and harmful misdeeds. Our intent was to recruit people to OUR cause, and rickrolling was our first and best option we had. However, having this done in front of them and setting ourselves up to look like we protest against all religions was a mistake and the wrong thing to do.

Therefore, we apologize to you for giving you the wrong impression, and we apologize to the two men who were using their right to free speech. If you would like to really know who we are and what we stand for, visit www.youfoundthecard.com www.enturbulation.org and www.xenu.net

Sincerely,
Anonymous

Don't apologize, really.  I am all for freedom of speech 'right to protest' as you can see in my first post. However, I am NOT fond of people who deal with they're opinions using hate and insults such as that group.

I thought that the way you dealt with them was amazing; defuse hate with hilarity, and really, Rick Rolling does not in any way hurt anyone and only serves to confuse those who don't get the joke. That was all I saw it as.
Seeing that video in no way made me think " Hey these guys are against religion!"

I hate to think how things would have gone down had some rage-filled Otaku showed up and tried to argue/seriously debate with them. I'm very glad you guys showed up instead.

KamijoIsLove

Interestingly enough, I swear there was a small Scientology outpost a few streets down. My friends and I stopped at that tapioca drink shop (was it on 3rd street? Or 2nd?) a couple blocks from the con, and on the way there my friend pointed out a woman with pamphlets and stacks of books by that Hubbard guy.

O_o ? It'd've been interesting if Anonymous found them... xD

Everto

Quote from: Kaura117 on May 25, 2008, 03:26:05 PM
Eh. They were nicely counterbalanced by the presence of The Internet, in my opinion.

The Internet still won though.
E-Gaming Staff 2008
I miss them so much.

WeAreAnonymous

Quote from: Yuu on May 28, 2008, 01:23:42 PM
Quote from: WeAreAnonymous on May 27, 2008, 07:13:26 PM

Sincerely,
Anonymous

Don't apologize, really.  I am all for freedom of speech 'right to protest' as you can see in my first post. However, I am NOT fond of people who deal with they're opinions using hate and insults such as that group.

I thought that the way you dealt with them was amazing; defuse hate with hilarity, and really, Rick Rolling does not in any way hurt anyone and only serves to confuse those who don't get the joke. That was all I saw it as.
Seeing that video in no way made me think " Hey these guys are against religion!"

I hate to think how things would have gone down had some rage-filled Otaku showed up and tried to argue/seriously debate with them. I'm very glad you guys showed up instead.

Regardless, after observation later on in the day, we knew that every video and picture taken of that event would be used against us by Scilons waiting to paint that picture of "anti-religious terrorists" all over our faces. My purpose here was to inform you that it was not our intent, that it was just as you say it was: diffusing hate with hilarity. On most of us at protests in front of Scientology buildings do just that. However, we do so in front of Scientology because that is the group we protest, not any other. If this was taken in the wrong context in any way, then it would be the right kind of bait to ruin us.

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed it, and I enjoyed being a part of it, but in hindsight this would be something that personally would mean more harm than fun.