Oh my GOD the ELEVATORS!

Started by mekalai, May 26, 2008, 09:17:18 PM

red_thestrals

Quote from: Kender on May 27, 2008, 12:06:06 AM
Quote from: red_thestrals on May 26, 2008, 11:54:48 PM
Quote from: billgoku on May 26, 2008, 09:59:10 PM
Rarely used the elevators at the Marriott...though I thought it was freaking stupid to see a guy take the elevator from the 2nd floor to the first one...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! that IS stupid! omg this made me lol

You don't know if the person had a medical injury that required them to not use stairs so I wouldn't laugh =/.  Even if they looked perfectly fine I do know people who aren't allowed to use stairs via doctor's orders as they will aggravate existing medical problems like joint issues and the like.

*sighs* happiness gone...

Trumby

This is just how things are at checkout time...at any hotel, at any con. It took me 15 minutes to even get an elevator at the Crowne Plaza..because I waited until the last minute to check out like everyone else.
Fanime cosplays (if I can make it..!)
Snowtrooper (Star Wars)
Greed (FMA)
Random pirate
Kurosaki Isshin (working on it now)

Hylia

The elevators were WAY fun!
Hanging out in the elevators was WAY CREEPY.
We met a drunk dude, who fought with the crazy chick with a hot pink pocket knife, who was also crazy and liked "dead body's", while she fought with the OTHER guy in the elevator about who was the top "weed county" in California.
On top of that, Kegan (or Kaygen? DONT GET MAD ME LOVE YOU!) was creeping out all the people who walked in talking them into having an orgy in the elevators with us.
Yeah. WE'RE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.

To make a longer story short(er);
I AM NEVER HANGING OUT IN THE ELEVATOR AGAIN ;_____;
NO SIGNATURE OH SHIT
(Arigato)Alex

Reinna

Hilton 11th floor.

Wasn't too bad, actually, but that might be because I kept extremely odd hours as staff and woke up and ran around earlier than most other people.  Also checked out earlier too, so I missed the worst of the end-of-con rush to leave. ;D

(Even so, I still had to wait about 15 minutes for an elevator.)

But looking at how crowded the Marriott elevators were at some points... wow.

nf33

17th floor MARRIOT

one evening i got into the elevator and it was getting packed. then off course the pizza my heart guy got in with pizza. im surprised non of us jumped him for it  :D

also it was never to long of a wait for me except i think it might have been Sunday eveing when i ended up taking the stairs and out of sheer bordnees walked all the way to the top then back down to the 17th floor. in all honestly i still think that would have been the same amount of time as an elevator.

Mr Anime

I was on the 11th floor of the Hilton and had no problems with the elevators. The most I waited for one was about 2 minutes.
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

nf33

Quote from: Mr Anime on May 27, 2008, 11:00:30 AM
I was on the 11th floor of the Hilton and had no problems with the elevators. The most I waited for one was about 2 minutes.

that is lucky i think avrage wait time for me was 5-8 minutes for most of my rides

kuroi

Rarely used the elevators at the Marriott...though I thought it was freaking stupid to see a guy take the elevator from the 2nd floor to the first one...

You don't know if the person had a medical injury that required them to not use stairs so I wouldn't laugh =/.  Even if they looked perfectly fine I do know people who aren't allowed to use stairs via doctor's orders as they will aggravate existing medical problems like joint issues and the like.

However, if they were in the Marriott, there is still very little reason for them to need the elevator. There was an escalator not too far from the elevator lobby that was working 90% of the time (there was one time around 1PM on Sunday where the down escalator wasn't working, but the up one was) Taking the escalator would've meant less wait, and probably less crowding from the multitudes of people who went down to the first to take it back up to whatever floor they were going to.

Re stairs: I was on the 16th floor of the Marriott, and I'll admit, I took the elevator most of the time. However, there were times (like right after the masquerade) when it was crazy enough that I took the stairs up and down. As well as one trip down to my car with luggage on Monday. And by that time, my right foot was actively bleeding, I was limping slightly, and had been wearing heels pretty much the entire weekend. But for the most part, we didn't have too many long waits.
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

Hylia

Quote from: kuroi on May 27, 2008, 12:18:05 PM
And by that time, my right foot was actively bleeding, I was limping slightly, and had been wearing heels pretty much the entire weekend.

This makes me happy I'm not a chick.
On that note, that really sucks ^^"
I hope you're feeling better already~
NO SIGNATURE OH SHIT
(Arigato)Alex

IshokuOsero

I was on the eleventh floor of the Marriott with my friend. We didn't have much of a problem, considering we didn't need the elevators at peak hours except once or twice, and we just took the stairs up to our floor instead - which wasn't that bad either, considering even though we were a bit worn out after the walk up, it wasn't anything major. I think the only time during peak that we waited for an elevator up was right after the An Cafe concert, since we were worn out because of being in the third row of the pit, right in front of Miku. We didn't want to take the stairs, we wouldn't have made it all the way to our floor. xD

Anyways though, not much of a problem. Even when we checked out Monday morning, we didn't have a problem getting an elevator, but then again maybe people just weren't up around 9:30am when we went down to check out.

The Sax

As I told my friend as I walked down the stairs to check out of the hotel.

QuotePeople who design hotels should seriously play Sim Tower. Then they would know that you should place Escalators to service the first 7 floors and an elevator for the rest.

elevators were pretty bad when you're checking out at floor 7 down. I was on the 9th. Just barely fit most of the time
hmmm, what to say.....

SheikOfTwili

I stayed at the Fairmont, and the elevators were never really packed...n__n Lots of nice people---but also lots of lost people who had now clue what kind of convention was going on. I got lots of looks when entering and leaving there.

I also hated having to cross the street...it was freezing >< and most of my costumes showed a lot of my legs..and arms.
So despite...having to deal with Elevators next time, I will gladly take that chance..over a further, more expensive and longer walk through the cold...xD

(I did experience the Marriott Elevator problem when I was with a friend, on the way to her room. It was crazy!)

ph1shf00d

I didn't have any huge problems with the elevators (the Marriott one went REALLY fast though.  Horrible cases of vertigo all around, haha) and several minutes' wait wasn't that bad, but I know lots of people had trouble with them.

I guess as a kind reminder to cut down on traffic and maybe make thing easier for everyone, it'd be nice if people on, say, the 3~5th floors could use the stairs if they don't have any luggage to carry.  If it takes too long to wait for an elevator or there are too many people in one, it definitely makes a lot more sense to just use the stairs, doesn't it?

Also, could it be possible to somehow restrict any "elevator tag" games going on?  It's just a nuisance for people who actually need to use the elevators.  It doesn't make sense that people who need to get into their rooms to sleep or get supplies for tables, panels, etc. to wait longer just because some fuckheaded kids want to chase each other around in elevators. =T

rude32

11th floor Marriott. Those elevators rawkd. In one of the elevators I got on, everytime the elevator stopped and the door opened, everyone in the elevator screamed at the top of their lungs like we were on an amusement park ride, it was awesome. Also on saturday night, my friend and I were leaving the rave, and as soon as we were waiting for the elevator, we started to sing some "Avenue Q" songs. As soon as we got on, some other people came, and knew exactly what we were singing and joined in. 11 floors of singing "Everyones a Little Bit Racist" is freaking awesome.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Rette

The elevators at the Marriott sometimes offered group therapy. Like when my boyfriend and I, and my other friend got fed up and left the B&W Ball, and when we got to the elevators there were other people coming from the ball and we had a discussion until the 18th floor about how it wasn't anything like we expected, but we all felt a bit better afterwards.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

furubaholic

I stayed at the hilton 4th floor mostly took stairs but when I did take an elevator the people were quite nice

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on May 26, 2008, 11:11:54 PM
4th floor of the Hilton- not that bad, though I wish I could have found some stairways that wasn't alarmed so I could just walk down instead... D:
I got my luggage out of the room at 7-ish in the morning, me and my friends pulled an all-nighter and didn't have anything else better to do. (: No one in the elevators, barely anyone in the convention, too. :D It was awesome~

I was on 4th floor at the hilton too! Which room?
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

crazychichi

Marriott - What sucked most was after I injured my foot to the point of a EMT evaluating me, was the process of getting into a elevator.  I showed up first to the elevator on many occasions and then people would start jumping ahead and rushing the elevator door as it was opening when 8 people needed to get out.   I had to on many occasions do line control on elevators :(

Though at one point it was fun to see which floor the elevators went to to idle - 22!  I actually jumped into a elevator, hit no buttons and the elevator when to that floor and the doors did not open.  I was like  :o for a couple seconds until I hit a button.... talk about a blonde moment...
Fanime Safety on Site 2008
Fanime Rovers 2007

Hylia

For me and my friends, the elevator went idle at 16. Always 16!
We spent like, atleast 30-45 minutes in there, waiting for people to get in and be like "13th floor please"
Some people would stare at it, looking for the 13th floor for a while. It was awesome ;D!

Another weird part of the adventure that day, was when we stopped on the 1st floor, and a janitor started to clean around the elevator with 4 people laying around inside of it with his crazy mexican music blaring loudly XDD
All 4 of us tried SO HARD not to laugh. The lot of us couldn't take it ;_;
NO SIGNATURE OH SHIT
(Arigato)Alex

Kender

Quote from: kuroi on May 27, 2008, 12:18:05 PM

However, if they were in the Marriott, there is still very little reason for them to need the elevator. There was an escalator not too far from the elevator lobby that was working 90% of the time (there was one time around 1PM on Sunday where the down escalator wasn't working, but the up one was) Taking the escalator would've meant less wait, and probably less crowding from the multitudes of people who went down to the first to take it back up to whatever floor they were going to.

Re stairs: I was on the 16th floor of the Marriott, and I'll admit, I took the elevator most of the time. However, there were times (like right after the masquerade) when it was crazy enough that I took the stairs up and down. As well as one trip down to my car with luggage on Monday. And by that time, my right foot was actively bleeding, I was limping slightly, and had been wearing heels pretty much the entire weekend. But for the most part, we didn't have too many long waits.

Some people can't even be on stairs in any form, even ones that move on their own.  I just think it's rude to make fun of someone when you don't know the whole story.  Seriously not cool.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.  We grow old because we stop playing."