Tachikoma project: Con Staff Approval Needed!

Started by Kyle stabell, May 27, 2008, 12:41:53 AM

Kyle stabell

Hello everyone......heh, it's been quite a while sence I've posted here...

Anyway when I was at the con this year me and my friend came up with the idea of building a full-scale tachikoma to bring to the con in 1 to 2 (or more) years time and I'm wondering what people here would think about that, I spoke to con ops before the con ended and said if approved by the staff it may end up becoming an exibit once finished.

I am putting this thread up mainly because con ops suggested posting here about it to get the attention of the other staff heads but I would also be happy hear any suggestions on how to build it.

The Tachikoma we will be building will be compleatly operational with the exeption of the working AI and operational weapons (with the possible exeption of a nerf-ball equiped machine gun), with it being manualy operated in the same manor as in the series, with a person inside the control pod.

Below will be the steps in it's compleation with the actual construction start time being dependant on money and resorces,

The first phase will be gathering pictures from all angles of the tachikoma as well as gathering the exact dimentions for it.

In the next phase we will be building a digital model of it in a 3D rendering program from the inside out, at which point we will be getting the info on all the parts we need while making sure the parts will fit correctly inside the shell.

The third phase will consist of starting construction of the skeleton of the actual robot and fabricating custom parts including any special circutry.

The fourth phase will mainly consist of running operating tests which could result in modifing the internal design to resolve any problems we come accross such as stability.

And in the final stage we will have a 2nd round of tests with the unit compleatly assembled, making final adjustments to the programing and fine tuning preformance.
Cosplay costumes:
2 Ranma outfits - 100% done
Himura Kenshin - 100% done
MGS2 guard - 85% done

sykoeent

This sounds cool!!! You should check out the R2D2 Builders club online. Maybe they can help!

Kyle stabell

I actualy got an idea off of a video for one of those R2 units I saw on youtube not too long ago about using the motors from wheel chair lifts although I'm wondering if that would be enough sence the tachikoma is gona be atleast 3x the size of that R2D2
Cosplay costumes:
MGS2 guard - 85% done

Saint-Vegas

I love tachikomas.

Please do it.

PSN: Saint-Vegas | MSN: [email protected]
Fanime 2008: Persona 3's Junpei Iori.

Kyle stabell

Project update: We are currently in the design phase and have collected quite a few pictures, to avoid some mechanical issues with the legs, we will be constructing the Tachikoma as they were seen in season 1 of SAC, we are currently focusing on the internal mechanics and electronics for the inside of the control pod as well as starting work on the camra and motor control design.

We still need permition from con staff to bring it on site when finished and will not start construction until we get the OK.
Cosplay costumes:
MGS2 guard - 85% done

M

Quote from: Kyle stabell on June 03, 2008, 10:30:02 PM
Project update: We are currently in the design phase and have collected quite a few pictures, to avoid some mechanical issues with the legs, we will be constructing the Tachikoma as they were seen in season 1 of SAC, we are currently focusing on the internal mechanics and electronics for the inside of the control pod as well as starting work on the camra and motor control design.

We still need permition from con staff to bring it on site when finished and will not start construction until we get the OK.
The general consensus is that as long as it follows our weapons policy, it is OK. This is a special case and there are other questions to be asked, so please email me specs and design images (I promise not to steal your 'cosplay' idea) at milton @@ fanime ... com and I'll get it reviewed.

[Edited for flow]
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

FanFicGuru

Then all the base will belong to you and your tachikomas!

This sounds awesome. ^_^
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Kyle stabell

Quote from: MPLe on June 04, 2008, 11:33:58 AM

The general consensus is that as long as it follows our weapons policy, it is OK. This is a special case and there are other questions to be asked, so please email me specs and design images (I promise not to steal your 'cosplay' idea) at milton @@ fanime ... com and I'll get it reviewed.

[Edited for flow]
We are currently just starting the design prosses, we don't even have any specs to give out yet. As for weapons, the only thing that's been considered is a possible nerf ball launcher in place of the machine gun that would be part of the right arm, which we make exclude anyway. If you have any questions that can't be answered here please PM me.

If you want I can send you our sorce images that we're using to get design ideas but I doubt it will help much sence the pictures are of small models.

[Edited formating]
Cosplay costumes:
MGS2 guard - 85% done

M

Quote from: Kyle stabell on June 04, 2008, 02:34:13 PM
Quote from: MPLe on June 04, 2008, 11:33:58 AM

[Edited for flow]
We are currently just starting the design prosses, we don't even have any specs to give out yet. As for weapons, the only thing that's been considered is a possible nerf ball launcher in place of the machine gun that would be part of the right arm, which we make exclude anyway. If you have any questions that can't be answered here please PM me.

If you want I can send you our sorce images that we're using to get design ideas but I doubt it will help much sence the pictures are of small models.

[Edited formating]

I think that this would be a good idea to take this off of this thread (either PM or email), so we're not spamming the forums. :D

M