Beware of thieves

Started by asiagal2, May 27, 2008, 01:28:02 AM

IshokuOsero

Quote from: Sunara Ishi on May 27, 2008, 07:59:43 PM
Quote from: IshokuOsero on May 27, 2008, 03:13:15 PM
I'm always really cautious about stuff like that happening, which is why I always had my bag in my lap or when I was walking, I'd carry it to the side (it's a mini-backpack looking thing), keep one hand on it at all times and constantly check to make sure the zippers haven't been touched. You really can never be too careful, so I made sure to bring everything I bought up to my hotel room right after buying it, and going through all sorts of precautions like that.

That being said, I didn't catch anyone stealing (or of course I'd have reported them). I do have a picture of the Dokuro-chan cosplayer that was outside that I took from up in my hotel room though, and unfortunately it was only noticed after I uploaded my pictures to my computer, but there was a guy behind her taking an up-dress shot. Perverts... I wish I would've caught that when I took it, cause I would've gone straight to security to get those guys kicked out.
Same. I carry a shoulder strap purse so I also hook it across my body from over one shoulder and under another.

I thought I was being over paranoid but I guess I wasn't.

I nearly always feel like I'm being overly paranoid about things like that, and most of my friends give me weird looks when I start checking my bag at random points, or re-checking that I have my debit card or money with me after I purchase something or just on random occasions (yes, I do open up my bag and make sure every so often, even though I do have to pull my wallet out and all that). After hearing about all the theft that went on at Fanime, it makes me really happy I have that habit, because if I didn't, who knows what would've gotten taken from me. I purposely used a bag that's hard to zip and unzip for the same reasons - because it's loud and obnoxious to open even when you try to do so quietly, and because it gives a hassle also. I probably have to struggle more with that bag than anything else I own, but for a good reason at least.

Mr Anime

Sorry to hear that some of you had your stuff stolen.  :( I guess I was lucky to not have any of my stuff taken. Though a few people did bump into me in the dealer's room for no reason what so ever while I checking out stuff. I could understand if it was hard to get by, but there was really no one near me when this happened.  >:(  Or maybe they were just trying to take away one of the many pins that I have on my backpack.  :(
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

Akito Starwind

Ya I hate thieves... But on a nice note Dealers room staff did walk and watch for theft and lost items. I would just walk everywhere looking at the floor for any dropped items so I can grab it before someone else would. that way it makes it to the lost and found. But remember just because you find a item of yours gone, dose not mean it was stolen. It just means its gone.. One night I was in a video room watcing the AMV's and a group of guys sat down a few seats down from me in the same row. But when they got up to leave I watched as the Head phones from a I Pod got hooked onto the metal of the chair and as the guy walked away with his friends His I Pod popped out of his pocket. He never noticed, Until I walked out to the hallway with it and gave it back.
Dealers Room Staff 2004
Dealers Room Staff 2005
Dealers Room Staff 2006
Dealers Room Staff 2007
Dealers Room Staff 2008

Lady_Necromancer

I've had fanart stolen from me. It was disapponting, one of the pictures was a L/Light pictures someone drew for us and gave for a cheaper price because my friend and I had gone as the characters with handcuffs and everything.
also, My picture of hanataro from bleach T.T; It was such a cute picture too!

Rei-Rei

The Anime rooms get scary at night if you're there alone. I saw a person sit behind us and felt that he was trying to snatch my friend's purse, so we just got up and moved towards the door where one of the staff members were.... Luckily, we didn't get bothered anymore.

Kanzake

I feel really bad for all of you, i had a real close call though.

My nintendo wallet fell out of my bag at a table we were relaxing at, and it contained a lot of things including more than 200 dollars of cash, and my SSID. When we got to our room i was freaking out, i ran down the stairs of the marriot and back towards the table. Amazingly, noone stole it, it just sat under the table. There was a group occupying the table though and i thanked them that they were there, since they were nice people and didnt notice~. But from personal experiences, we should all be on the lookout for low people that steal, and report them. I found the most effective way is to whip out a phone, call your buddy to get an op or some staff member, and you tail the guy until they find you.

Sorry for you guys loosing your stuff ;-;
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

Thisiskat

I'm glad there's a thread about this, b/c I would tend to think that other con-goers were friendlier than that -_-

I guess in way to prevent theft, after buying items my friends and I tend to go drop off our goodies in our room. For anime viewing, I have my bag on my lap if I decide to bring it. However, now that I heard that story, I might have to be even more cautious x_x

SOawesomeness

Try avoid bringing any bags to you and clipping everything on yourself. (wallet with a chain clipped to yourself... or a fanny-pack, hehe.)

Pretty much no matter where you are, there will always be at least a person who has an intent to steal stuff.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

KyraEnsui

Luckily, I didn't have anything stolen, but I think I have heard of it though. I'm sure most of us know how to prevent it. My way are usually:
1. )Keep your valuables with you and if you have a room, keep it there in a secret place especially if you're sharing. Sometimes, roommates will steal so be careful who you're rooming with.
2.) The tricky part is when you have bags from dealer's room and you're in cosplay when someone asks for your picture. Best advice is to go with a friend who will hold onto your belongings. If you're by yourself, then I would suggest just to keep those bags near you as possible. After all, they can photoshop the bags out if they want to.
3.) If you have money, I would not keep them not in pant pocket. More easily to be taken. Just have a hidden compartment somewhere that it's not easily taken.
4.) Just have fun and be cautious.

Dominium

I had a deck of Full Metal Alchemist cards stolen from me once.
This was around the first time I went to Fanime.
I didn't trip (I was sad, sure), but had money to spare so bought another deck. xD;

It's so uncool to steal. It's unfortunate that con-goers would have the intention to do such a thing.
I don't bring valuables to Fanime, save for cheap jewelry and whatnot.
And when I do bring something special, I wrap that stuff up nice and tight and put it in my bag.
Most special valuables don't get touched unless I'm in the hotel room.
And they don't leave the hotel room either.

Money?
I put it in my bra.
xD
abnormally attracted to sin.